+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

National Home Protection is Mutual Warranty -just a new name

I was a victim of the Mutual Warranty scam, bought warranty protection in April 2006 for $464.5 , called them last month and have never heard back from them...I reported them to the BBB and they have had no luck either. So I went online to shop for another home warrany plan and found National Home Protection's plan to be the most persuasive but with a similar modus operandus as Mutual Warranty- lots of emails from them with promotion codes etc and voice mails on my home line. I decided to take a closer look at their website and compared it to Mutual Warranty's (which is still up) and if you look closely you can see that there is a lot of cut and pasting between the 2 websites (this is particularly true in the contractors section). Put all this together and I think it is safe to assume that the 2 are run by the same person/people and should be completely avoided. It's a little incredible to me that they even advertise on scam.com. I hope this helps anyone looking for a home warranty plan. I used First American for 5 years very successfully and intend to go back to them in spite of their rising payments (totally worth it after having wasted so much money)

Re: National Home Protection is Mutual Warranty -just a new name

Mutual Warranty is no longer in business, I believe. I, too, called both listed numbers and did not get through. Website service requests generated an automated reply, but no one ever contacted me. I emailed Jose Villamizar, who sent me my "welcome letter" and contract, but the email came back as undeliverable. I emailed the BBB in Denver, who responded that they'd mailed Mr. Villamizar at Mutual Warranty's Denver address, and it came back as "undeliverable." Mutual Warranty was around long enough to cash my check in July of this year. I wish I'd seen this site before I wasted my money.

I to had mutual warranty and towards the end of my contract relized it was a scam. So I decided to go to National Home Protection based out of New York. Also, I complete scam. I can actually get a hold of people, but the keep coming up with excuses of why that can not fix things. It is the total opposite of what service man says. I have filed compalint with BBB. :mad:

WARNING!!! National Home Protection is a SCAM!!!!

Do I have a story to tell about National Home Protection (NHP). I too was duped by Mutual Warranty and now, again by NHP. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I must be stupid right. Well, it is so easy to get scammed these days. I purchased a warranty at the end of Sept. 06 and decided to cancel it the very next day due to anxiety issues with the whole "Home Warranty" issue. Well, to my suprise, I was unable to get through and was kept on hold for hours!!!. I finally quit trying after 5 days and put this in dispute with my credit card co. The NHP company finally returned an email, 6 days after my initial contact and claimed that their phones were down, how conveinent. Well, they did refund my money, minus $50 they claim, is for processing. What processing!!! My policy never even took effect I attempted to cancel within the 72 hours, the time frame their associate Chuck Phillips, verbally assured me that I could cancel and receive my money back. Now, they are claiming that statement was never given to me. They told me that they were going to pull the conversation from their archives to listen to the phone call, but of course, they could not produce this coversation. Therefore, they claim they cannot refund my money because it is not their "Policy". I am so frustrated with the home warranty topic that I am at the end of my rope. The guy on the phone was so smug and flat out told me that I "lost out" he guessed. What a jerk. I just hope that no one else gets scammed, but unfortunately, in this day and age, getting duped is all too common.

Why don't people just look in the Yellow Pages (what's that?) and visit a local insurance broker.

does anyone have any advice about how to get the money back that was stolen by mutual warranty or is it just a total loss. i have complained to the FBI, BBB, Consumer Affairs and all other similar sites. i was told by my bank that a charge can not be reversed after 30 days, but is there a catch when money is taken in a scam.

Just wanted to share this info..... my VISA card is going to refund the $686 I paid out to Mutual Warranty [6 months ago] for a '2 year policy' --- I didn't really expect them to say yes, but thought it wouldn't hurt to try. They immediately said it would be covered under internet fraud protection and just wanted me to fax some info. It is not done yet, but the customer service rep I talked to [when I told him about the reports on scams.com] sounded totally sure it would be covered.

I had a policy with Amercan Home Shield for about 20 years before this and never had a problem, just switched because their prices had gone up and Mutual looked like such a better deal!!!

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! If you do, watch your credit card statement and be ready to fight every time you have a claim. :mad:

SAME STORY as you will find in the threads below.... I bought 2 contracts for 2 condos. First, an addtional $365 was charged to my credit card. The contract associated with the charge was, 'THEY SAID', for one of their other customers, and they were sending it to their 'fraud department'. If I had not noticed my statement, they would have not noticed. I asked to be notified of the reason this happens... since it seems as though they keep credit card numbers on file, an insecure method.

I've been trying to get someone to fix several home problems for over 3 weeks now. No vendors ever called me. After 7 phone calls to NHP, I finally got a manager, Mike Moore. He assured me some of the appointments had been set up for tomorrow... we will see. The last two appointments could not be set up yesterday because the vendors were unreachable late in the day. He assured me he would set up the appointments and call me back today. I stressed how important it was for him to call back because no one has ever done anything (call me back or set up appointments) before... even after 7 calls in the last 3 weeks. He has not called and is apparently now avoiding my phone calls.

I called the 'corporate offices' phone number listed on the contract... it goes to the same phone system as the sales and claims department. When I asked to speak to a top manager... no Mike Moore, 'head of claims'... I was told Mike doesn't report to anyone. I told the claims guy that I need to speak to someone else... above Mike... he has now had me on hold for 20 minutes. I don't think he's coming back to the phone.

Re: National Home Protection is a SCAM

I signed a home warranty with National Home Protection that covers everything in my house on June 2005. On November 13, 2006 I called them because my electric Stove was not working. I was told that they did not have a contractor in my area to do the repair. They suggested that I called around and find my own repairman and they will remburse me once the work is done. I was also told that I will have to call in advance while the the repairman get there to get an approval before the work is done. When the repairman man got to my house, we tried 6 times to reach NHP and we were told that someone will call us back. We waited and waited; no one ever called me back unitl today. I tried multiple times to reach the managers and no one ever comes to the phone. I am getting all kind of run arounds. The manager, Steve Anderson has never returned my calls. He has been avoiding me. I left him 17 mesaages and not a single call from him. At this point, I need a full refund of $404.00. I do not want to do business with them. I searched the Internet and read some horrible stories about this company. If BBB can ot help me, I will take this matter to court. I have a 18 months old baby and my sick mother in the house and because I can not afford a new stove at the moment, we have been eating microwaved food for the last 25 days. I hope that you can help me with this issue.
    I tried to reach any managers at the site and not a single one has ever returned my calls. The bottom line is that the company took my money and can not offer me any service because they don't have contractors in my area.
    I will drive to NY to kick their ass. I am getting a lawyer to sue them.

Stay away from National Home Protection. I had bought a policy from NHP in November and had to call them in December with a problem with my water heater. It took 3 days for them to respond by which time the water heater had died. It took them another day to send a contract technician to my home. The technician himself was cursing NHP from the moment he stepped in. Anyway, it took another two days for NHP to call me and tell me that they can't authorize any repairs on the water heater because I haven't been doing regular service on the water heater. Crap! I had been flushing it regularly. The water heater was just old and it was going to die anyway.

Stay away from this company. I am disputing their premium on my credit card.

Re: National Home Protection is a SCAM

Even if they had a contractor in the area, they would have found a reason to not pay.

I had a plumbing leak. They sent Red Rock Plumbing who charged me $45 to make a hole in the wall and tell me that they needed to chip the concrete. NHP says they don't do concrete, even though the contract says that there is a $500 limit as to concrete work. Now they won't reply. Red Rock won't send me the estimate (I paid them by credit card by phone, I was not home for the service call). Now my handyman found the leak, in the wall, well above the concrete, visible from the hole in the wall!
    DON'T USE THESE PEOPLE.

= Update =

The dispute is ON. I have received a conditional credit for the policy fee from my credit card company. They are investigating this company as a possible fraud.

I have also received a response from the state attorney general's office for my dispute. They have opened a case and have requested additional information such as warranty contract etc. They are investigating NHP as a possible fraud too.

Still waiting for response from NY attorney general's office.

I will keep posting updates. Won't rest until these guys are exposed.

I would recommend anyone who has had a bad experience dispute the charge on the credit card and also dispute to your state attorney general and NY state attorney general. If it is a fraud, you can usually dispute a credit card charge even after a long time.

I am surprised to see that you are having problems, this company is one of the best companies I have ever had, prompt service, great repairmen, and good customer service people. I guess 13 total posts not all negative for a company that has been in business as long as they have is a pretty good track record.

My wife purchased an NHP home warranty back in Dec. When I heard what she did, I hit the roof. Shame on me! Last week my stove was out and I thought i was in for a nightmare. Surprisingly enough, National Home Protection had a tech out the same day and fixed the darn thing in less an an hr. I must tip my hat to them. They really came thru on my end.

Ken
    :)

This company is horrible!!! Do NOT use them!! They never return e-mails, phone calls, etc. Rude also! Pay more and use a reputable company! You get what you pay for!