+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

DirecTV scam - DVR purchase vs. lease rip-off

Has anybody else been burned by this? I signed up for DirecTV in March of this year. I was offered an HR-10 Tivo DVR for PURCHASE (meaning I OWN the DVR) with a package price of $540.99, so I agreed. Since everything is done over the phone and not documented at the time of sale, I happily asssumed that all was well until recently I was told that I LEASED the DVR as opposed to buying it. This is absolutely not the case. I only discovered this problem when attempting to upgrade my service to receive local HD programming, whereupon I was told that I was not eligible for certain system upgrade offers since I had a LEASED unit. During the debate with the DirecTV CSR and manager I was told that in March, DirecTV went from a purchase policy to a leasing policy for this DVR. In spite of this I was told that the unit was leased and nothing could be done to change that. Now I am out over $500 for a 250 GB DVR that I could have bought for less from Best Buy. This may not happen to many other people, but if you signed up for DirecTV DVR service in the March timeframe and you were told that you were PURCHASING the DVR, you will be surprised that you are in fact LEASING the unit and you have in fact bought nothing. To make matters twice as bad, I was treated accusingly and patronized during the phone call. When I asked to cancel all service, I was told that I had an enormous early termination fee, and that I would have to return the DVR with no refund of my $540.99. Based on this one bad experience, I can say with certainty that I was wrong about DirecTV and I will now embark on a long battle to retreive my investment through credit card dispute. DirecTV misled me in the beginning, then provided a poor system install (dish was not pointed correctly), took my $540.99 under false pretense, refused to admit that perhaps they got caught up in a policy change that impacts buyers from March/April timeframe, and even implied that I "knew all along" that the unit was leased and not bought - this last one is the one that is the most insulting. So how can other people have any faith in the customer service at DirecTV. Beware, beware. Final note - if DirecTV is still offering this particular lease offer, recommend strongly looking at purchasing a DVR at Best Buy or other supplier since you can find a 250 GB DVR now for under $450 - and you OWN it, you don't LEASE it.

Re: DirecTV scam - DVR purchase vs. lease rip-off

If this has happened to you please post a reply or email me. Thank you!

I was a DirecTV customer for 4 years - no contract. I "bought" a receiver from circuit city for ~$500 to replace a broken SD DirecTivo. Activated it - moved 5 mo later and couldnt get DirecTV anymore in the new location. Now they say I have to pay them $230 for early termination (after 4.5years) and return the receiver I paid $500 for. WTF!!!

Sure I could return the receiver but what if I move again and want directv? and what about the extra $230 - nobody told me that replacing equipment on my end ment I was signing up for another contract.

JasonK - provide them proof that you are unable to have DirecTv service in your new location and they cannot charge you the early termination fee. (My husband and brother BOTH worked for DirecTv customer service.) Anyway - I can promise they were both nice reps. But ya - never do anything over the phone. Always have it all in writing. And TiVo user if they have no verbal contract with you or no written contract with you then you can dispute the early termination fee stating you never agreed to any contracts to keep the service for any length of time. Same for you Jason. I worked for a cell phone company and you literally just have to fight them over it. Eventually they will just give up because they really don't have enough to prove that you should have to pay the money. Also - if they are practicing bad business tactics and are doing something illegal (charging an early termination fee without cause) then you can report it to your attorney general. And others with the same experiences should do so.

And don't bother with cable. We are currently leasing a DVR and we were told it had 100 hours on it - it has 50 hours on it. And it's a piece of junk that freezes regularly. Even while watching regular TV. Comcast sucks.

Good Idea about the activation fee.

But What really steams me is the lease issue. I paid $500 for the receiver. I didn't rent it from circuit city I bought it. I could have left the store and thrown it out. Directv is saying that once I activated it - they owned it and I was only leasing it - and want it back or they want another $500?! Do they own the TV it was connected to as well? How about the house I called them from?

I know this sounds crazy, but do you still have the receipt for the DVR? I know it's from a long time ago - but tell them that you purchased the DVR from a third party retailer and since you were never once told it would become theirs when activating it and that until now this hasn't come up they do not have a right to take it. If they push the issue consider getting legal advice (there are plenty of ways to get it free) and then call them and tell them if they pursue the matter they can explain themselves in a court of law. Oh - and before doing any of this write down the times, dates and names of who you speak to. If you have to - write DirecTv a letter and state what is going on, name the reps, and tell them that if they pursue you for the DVR that you will take the issue to court. I will talk to my brother, though, because he is still working for them and see what he has to say. You may just be getting jerk reps.

Jason, I talked to my brother and he said that when they activated your DVR or whatever they did it wrong and put "lease" instead "owned". He said that if you push the reps hard enough they will eventually back down. I would still take the names of every person you speak to though.

I am going through the same problems with Directv right now. I purchased my unit from Best Buy. And you are right Directv has got to have the worst customer service I have ever encountered. They act as if they are doing you a favor. they have also been charging me for HD service when they know I do not even have HD equipment. I now have to write to billing disputes. How does a company charge for a service that they did not provide? bet there are many companies wanting to know that one.

I've run into the same problem. I purchased a hd dvr receiver from circuit city about 3 years ago. I just recently got an upgrade and wanted to sell this one I no longer have a use for. When I called to deactivate it they told me it was leased, and all I could do besides have it sit at my house is send it back to them. Something needs to be done about this.

This may be a little unrelated but i've been a customer of DirecTV for about 7 years, no late payments or anything. I moved to a new apartment and asked for a new HD DVR which they said I had to purchase for $200. I explained very clearly that I could pay for the box, but I needed them to break the box down into payments so I could pay it off over time. The salesman explained that I could do that, as long as I paid my entire bill every month, plus pay towards the box. A month later my service was shut off, I called and they were very rude, they said they had no idea what I was talking about when I told them about my payment agreement. I finally got angry when talking to a really rude and "smartass" supervisor and told him to cancel my service and send me a box to return the dvr in. He promptly said "no problem" and canceled my account. I recently sent an email to the President's office, and they called me back the same day. After canceling with DirecTV I called Dish Network, who actually were very nice, were very clear about the service, and literally did everything perfectly so i'm pretty happy with them. The girl at the president's office said the only thing she would do was waive the early termination fee if I came back to DirecTV. I told her "you don't understand, you cut me off, I had no choice but to sign up with another provider". She said "i'm sorry, that's all we can do, you will have to pay the termination fee". I have requested several times for them to send me proof that I agreed to an extended contract, I have received nothing. Even though I keep arguing that I never agreed to a contract (because I didn't) they absolutely refuse to budge one inch. I now have a collection agency calling me multiple times a day and they won't stop. Now my bill is over $1000, they have not credited me for the returned DVR and I have a feeling that they may be trying to charge me for my other dvr (which I purchased). It's hard to tell because all the statements I get from them aren't detailed. It's almost like they just send me statements with random numbers on them. I will never do business with DirecTV again, and will make my life's mission to tell everyone I know to avoid them.

DirecTV scam - NFL Package

I've been a loyal DirecTV subscriber for about 6 years. Always the premium package, HD DVR, etc. Never a complaint (other than the fact that it took the techs about 4 trips to get me setup properly). I started subscribing to DirecTV when it seemed that the local cable monopoly started rapidly declining with respect to customer service.

Several years into my patronage (2005) I decided to try the NFL package. It was OK but, by the end of the year, I wasn't really watching it that much so when DirecTV called to try to sign me up again I declined. Fast forward to 2008, we've been looking for ways to cut a few household expenses. As I went through the old bank statements (we have auto-pay for just about all bills) I noticed that my DirecTV bills had gotten as high as $200 / mo. I knew that the premium package cost around 100 bucks. I know there are a bunch of taxes and surcharges, etc but I figured there was no way those fees could be as much as the service itself.

I get on the line with a customer service person to try to figure out whey the bill is so high. He's going through the charges and the last one he mentions is the NFL package. I tell him I don't get the NFL package and he reiterates that I do. I ask him what channel it is on - when I go to that channel there is a message with a number of where to call to subscribe. The guy tells me that I signed up in 2005 (true) and that in 2006 they sent me something saying if I do NOT want to subscribe again in 2006 that I must check a box. They proceeded to charge me for all of 2006, 2007 and 2008! Furthermore, he had the onions to tell me that DirecTV had a "policy" of not refunding NFL package subscribers who had been duped. I, of course, informed him of MY POLICY of not letting anyone steal my money. And MY POLICY is the only one that matters. Several more calls, several more supervisors (some of whom were idiots and some of whom were appauled by the story but who claimed to be powerless to do anything).

First, and most obvious, you don't sell a service by telling someone that they have to say "no" to avoid it. You can GIVE me whatever service you want - but you only have the right to get paid for the ones that I ask for.

Second, I had trusted DirecTV enough to put them on my auto-pay list. No paper bills, save the environment, etc etc. It just goes to my bank account and I hit "pay" each month for all of my bills. So DirecTV can pull this shenanigans on just about anybody that uses modern banking and doesn't keep a close eye on the bill from month to month.

After demanding my money back (almost $800!!!) I stopped paying them my monthly bills. Everytime someone called my house about payment I wouldn't let them get their scriped questions out - I just asked them about the status of my refund. They always get off the phone perplexed.

Well, they just shut off the service. So I've talked to my best friend who is an attorney and he said this will be a no-brainer lawsuit. He said that, if I am lucky, they will also report me to the credit bureaus (which will appear malicious to a judge) and will make my suit too large for small claims court. So, a little longer to wait but more hassle and money for DirecTV to pay.

It just stuns me that this company would take a long-time, loyal, premium customer and treat them this way. Not only have they lost my revenue stream forever, there are going to pay legal bills (theirs and mine) and have me bad-mouthing that company forever. By the time this is all said and done I'll bet this little stunt costs them $75,000 of undiscounted cashflow. Maybe a drop in the ocean to them but so stupid. So stupid.

In the meantime, I have offered DirecTV to be part of my prayer of the month club. With the economy being down I figured some companies might like people to say a prayer on their behalf. The price is a little steep ($10,000 subscription per year) but if they feel they don't need the service they can always write me a letter telling me that they explicitly DO NOT WANT to subscribe. Until I get that communication from them I can only assume that they want to join the prayer network. My policy is to enforce all debts on firms that do not affirmatively decline membership. That seems fair, right? At least THEY think so...

Hello, Tivo user,
    I too had a problem with Directv. Not with their equipment, but with their contract.
    You see, I'm moving out of the country and they want to charge me U$220.00 as an early termination fee.
    First of all, Mr. Ball, the person who offered me the service over the phone, was dishonest and never mentioned that I would have to sign a 2-year contract. I was very angry when I found out that I had been tricked. Their technician came to my house, installed the dish, made sure the channels were working fine, showed me how to operate the remote, and only then he gave me a piece of paper to sign. To my understanding that was to confirm that the dish was installed and that the signal was fine. I didn’t know I was signing a contract. Much less a 2-year one! That was a scam!
    Second, my moving away was unexpected. I didn’t know about it a year ago. I’m not a fortune teller.
    I'm moving in two days and I'm spending a lot of time and energy trying to get out of this mess, as if I didn't have enough on my plate!
    Any suggestions?

Man!

I have DirecTV. I've had ir for at least 5 years.

So far, never had a problem, though customer svc. sucks, like everywhere else on the planet pretty much.

Thanks for the heads-up folks.

I'll scrutinize their stuff from here on in accordingly!

Kerry
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Wow, I was shocked to find out that the drv that I bought was also only a"lease". we have 3 dvrs with our directv. Last night, we called to cancel our service. Even though we have bought and paid for every machine, we were told that they would be sending us 3 boxes. Now, I must say the CSR was very nice and she did "some" digging - found that we did, in fact, own 2 machines. the 3rd machine - well, they are still sending a box. This one is the one that we bought from them when it first came out - the latest, greatest HD thing and were even on a wait list for it. Their deal back then was, a lease to own. pay $199 and service for 2 years (which we did) then it was yours to keep. If this was a lease, why did we have to pay monthly insurance on the darn thing? I know that our cash outlay is not as bad as some of yours, but it sure does hurt......has anybody gotten satisfaction? Suggestions are welcome. we were told that our credit card would be charged if the box was not sent back. I feel like just closing the card and keeping the box.

Well, I was also a "victim" of their scam. I sent the Better Business Bureau a complaint. I think that if everybody contacted the BBB about their problems, we might accomplish something. This is one way for us to help each other. If anyone else has another suggestion, please post it here. Thank you!

:judges:

Directv is now being investigated by one of the best law firms in the country under class action.

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/consumer/directv.htm

They have AWFUL business practice and make up things as they go along. Contact these lawyers and give them your story.

NO Im not a lawyer, but a VERY annoyed directv 'customer'