+ Reply to Thread

Pentagon's New Plan To Support Military Families

It's the perfect support system for a society which thrives on consumer driven obsolescence and imbibes a national brew of endless lies and propaganda supplied by a "government" whose credibility is about as substantial as a piece of used Charmin Toilet Paper. The good news is that the cardboard has more brains than 40% of the public who will still go into the booths and vote for GOP criminals and against America.
    __________________________________________________ ___________________

America's cardboard army of Flat Daddies boosts families

Paul Harris and Javier Espinoza
    Sunday October 8, 2006
    The Observer

It is one of the hardest things about being a military family. How to cope when a husband and father, or wife and mother, is posted abroad, especially to combat zones such as Iraq or Afghanistan.

Now the United States army has come up with a bizarre solution: Flat Daddy and Flat Mommy.

Many military units can provide families with a life-size cardboard cutout of their overseas warrior. The family can then take that figure to parties, put it in the passenger seat of their car, take it to bed or do whatever it is that families want to with a replica of their loved one.

Named after Flat Stanley, a children's book character who was squashed flat, the cutouts have been a surprise hit since they were introduced. In Maine alone, the state's National Guard has given out more than 200 Flat Soldiers since January. The scheme began in North Dakota when one army wife, Cindy Sorenson, made up a life-size photograph of her former husband for their daughter, after he was sent to Iraq. The model helped the girl cope with missing her father and Sorenson mentioned it to a motivational speaker, Elaine Dumler, who included it in a book.

From there the idea took off and has been adopted by units across America. They can be found going on dates with their wives in Alaska and having dinner with their families in Colorado.

Experts believe the cutouts are a useful psychological device, especially for children, that helps cope with the stress of long absences. It allows the family to genuinely feel the missing person is still involved in day-to-day life.

'Families miss people so much when they are gone that they try to bring their soldier everywhere,' said Barbara Claudel, director of the Maine National Guard's family unit.
    Last edited by dchristie; 10-09-2006 at 03:02 AM.

Re: Pentagon's New Plan To Support Military Families

What a farce.

Anybody who has a family member who doesn't just refuse to go to Iraq on moral/legal principles or else doesn't get the hell out of the country instead of participating in Bush's War Crimes, is better off with the cardboard dummy anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho
    What a farce.

Anybody who has a family member who doesn't just refuse to go to Iraq on moral/legal principles or else doesn't get the hell out of the country instead of participating in Bush's War Crimes, is better off with the cardboard dummy anyway.
    Bush's "America", has renounced the mantle of being thinking, feeling, human beings with a conscience. Those who support the evil little coward in our Whitehouse are no more than souless humanoid shells only loosely impersonating humans. And the Bushstapo views all of us as chattel for their murderous, terrorist schemes, as expendable as pieces of cardbaord.

Quote Originally Posted by DrWho
    What a farce.

Let me ask you this DrWho. Should a draft dodger be allowed to be Command In Chief?
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    Bush's "America", has renounced the mantle of being thinking, feeling, human beings with a conscience. Those who support the evil little coward in our Whitehouse are no more than souless humanoid shells only loosely impersonating humans. And the Bushstapo views all of us as chattel for their murderous, terrorist schemes, as expendable as pieces of cardbaord.
    D, I really hope your right. I hope Bush is as evil as you say he is. Hahahah. Why? Because there is no future for you if you're right. If I were you I'd get the hell off the internet and I'd do all the things I wanted to do with what little time I thought I have left. Oh, I forgot, you really don't believe your own bull****, do you?

BTW, how do you have any right to call someone a coward? What courageous thing have you done in your lifetime? Hiding behind the 1st Amendment on the internet under an alias doesn't exactly count as brave.
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

That's wierd. I imagine it doesn't do anything for the wife but maybe it does help for a small child. I hope to never find out. My husband sometimes feels like he missed his calling by not joining the military even though he's in total dissagreement with what's going on right now. I told him that we never would have met and he said that he would have had his dreams come true in the military (possibly being a pilot, working his way up in the ranks, etc.) except a loving wife and family and that's what he would have been missing. It's wierd to think about it now because we would not have met but he may have met someone else down the line and be off to war with this wife and son at home with nothing but a cardboard cutout of daddy. As involved of a father as my husband is, that's really hard to imagine. Funny how things work out.

Quote Originally Posted by USNavySubSailor
    D, I really hope your right. I hope Bush is as evil as you say he is. Hahahah. Why? Because there is no future for you if you're right. If I were you I'd get the hell off the internet and I'd do all the things I wanted to do with what little time I thought I have left. Oh, I forgot, you really don't believe your own bull****, do you?

BTW, how do you have any right to call someone a coward? What courageous thing have you done in your lifetime? Hiding behind the 1st Amendment on the internet under an alias doesn't exactly count as brave.
    I'm not using an alias, Monkey. That's my real name. Unlike your own vile cowardice, I'm not using an infantile alias like your own. And maybe that's because I don't support and subborn high crimes, torture and criminal traitors who are domestic enemies of my country, like you.

I dont realy get the cardboard cut out thing.I guess for the kiddies.Whatever.But dchristie I feel your anger I just dont know what you think your going to accomplish by calling out those who dont think like you do the way that you do.You are viscious.While I tend to agree with most of what you put out there your never going to sway anyones hearts or minds by calling "souless humunoids". And the same goes for all the righties bashing lefties and librerals.The fact is when we go there we are no better than those we argue against.We need to here eachother in these places and even if we dont find that common ground we need to respect one another.