+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: the universe

the universe

of course the universe is larger than this existing one so grand and great we will not know about it till later more places to explore and lexx has all the answers he knows more than all of you people on this forum he iw worth millions of ideas and listen to lexx he has al the answers right lexx that good guy we drink soda at the pub and we get so silly that soda i got to stay away from gets me too silly i like that lemon soda the best all that sugar is bad for me you know, right lexx????

Re: the universe

and all the new stars up in the upper stratosphere and more planets but none can we live on because the elements are not suitable for humans they are just to balance out the universe it has to have tatias to be complete and the air does not have enough oxygen so us mere humans would be in coherant up there and as i submitted my resume they rejected me up there, right lexx lexx come out of that pub and stop drinking that soda tel the people the other solar universe does exist but ther is no form of humans there or could there ever exist such creatures that is only a figment of their imaginations. no plants of any sort, not even water exists there just rock solid organic rocks. lexxx come on out

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy
    and all the new stars up in the upper stratosphere and more planets but none can we live on because the elements are not suitable for humans they are just to balance out the universe it has to have tatias to be complete and the air does not have enough oxygen so us mere humans would be in coherant up there and as i submitted my resume they rejected me up there, right lexx lexx come out of that pub and stop drinking that soda tel the people the other solar universe does exist but ther is no form of humans there or could there ever exist such creatures that is only a figment of their imaginations. no plants of any sort, not even water exists there just rock solid organic rocks. lexxx come on out
    Wow, there are stars in the stratosphere? Here I was thinking stars existed outside of Earth's close vicinity! I might go visit a star tomorrow.

Anyway there is water on other planets and moons.

while galaxy can be seen as a luny by many,here,if he believes in a god,he is considered a PAL of the LEXX!?(deserving of INSTRUCTION!?and special for his VIEW!?,contribution to the WHOLE!?a work in PROGRESS!?)hehe!!IN THE HOOD!?BRO!?ok!?i just made this WHOLE thing UP/DOWN!?now what!?hehe!!just askin....
    Last edited by lexx; 10-02-2006 at 06:34 AM.

Something I've always wondered about.

When one has gone way, way, way way, way out there, and where no one, even Star Trek, has gone before, and then when one reaches the end of it, what's beyond on the other side? Or is there no end to it and no other side. Bends my feeble brain cells a little too much.

Thats a good question, and I can't find a decent answer anywhere. It depends on the curvature of space-time, but the most recent observations make it pretty certain that our universe is more or less flat.

If it had a positive curvature, and it were closed, then it would be like asking what happens if you walk to the edge of the Earth. You could keep walking in one direction and eventually you would end up back where you started. Most of the pages on the internet seem to give this answer. But it turns out the universe probably isn't closed.

So as for what happens with an open or a flat universe, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by ME3
    Something I've always wondered about.

When one has gone way, way, way way, way out there, and where no one, even Star Trek, has gone before, and then when one reaches the end of it, what's beyond on the other side? Or is there no end to it and no other side.
    No one knows what is "outside" our Universe, but considering current theory tells us it's impossible to reach the so called edges it doesn't serve any practical purpose to know.
    Philosophically though, and in terms of the origin of our universe, I'd love to know too! Somehow I doubt the answer can be found anywhere on Earth though :)

wiffla is offline the world as we think we know it User Rank

More dramatic though, is this one UK statistic. Christians are a minority in the UK (around 40%) but are a majority in prison, at around 60% of the prison population.

to subjunk can you tell me where you got these stats from please.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wiffla
    More dramatic though, is this one UK statistic. Christians are a minority in the UK (around 40%) but are a majority in prison, at around 60% of the prison population.

to subjunk can you tell me where you got these stats from please.
    thanks
    Hi wiffla :) Sorry I don't remember where I got those stats from, I should've given references at the time. I think it was from government sources though.

Funny how christians and muslims profess faith in a higher power and promote some form of ideal society.

Then they go around drop bombs and do jihad.

Craziness.

--------------
    Never start the day without some skepticism. My absolutely fave sites:
    Subscriber -
    Avid follower-SCAM.COM
    Loyal fan - Shameless
    Moderator - SomethingAwful
    Fanatic -Crank Dot Net
    Proudly, 2300 post Contributor - Epinions Network

Quote Originally Posted by skepdick
    Funny how christians and muslims profess faith in a higher power and promote some form of ideal society.

Craziness.

--------------
    It's their way or the dead way! When you believe non-believers are going to Hell it's easy to justify taking any action "oh well they're going to Hell anyway"

Craziness.
    This idiotic line of thinking is represented by a small minority of Christians... remember, ignorance isn't exclusive to any particular group but can be found in all of them -- it's an equal opportunity employer.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    It's their way or the dead way! When you believe non-believers are going to Hell it's easy to justify taking any action "oh well they're going to Hell anyway"
    I've met some rabid, fundamentalist Christians over the course of my life, but I've never met a Christian who actually thinks like this. You might see a few in the media now and again on which you probably base this view, but we're talking one out of every million.

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian
    I've met some rabid, fundamentalist Christians over the course of my life, but I've never met a Christian who actually thinks like this. You might see a few in the media now and again on which you probably base this view, but we're talking one out of every million.
    Well... Respectfully I beg to differ.
    Sure if you're a Christian who doesn't take 100% of the Bible literally then you may not think like that, but if you believe the Bible is completely literal then to some extent you share those views.
    I mean it's right there in the 10 Commandments, you can't put another god before God. Many people have died because of that (surely Halloween is a reminder of that).
    I'm not saying Christians kill people anymore for having different beliefs, that hasn't happened in a little while, but I still think there are more than 1 in a million who share the view of "oh well they're going to Hell anyway" to some extent, even if it's just a little.
    It's a phenomenon associated with all religions, not as a fault of the religion itself all the time, often it's just a fault of the people.

It's not just a religious phenomena, it's a group one. If people belong to a group, some invariably take it further by thinking the members of that group are better than non-members. Religion just makes the beliefs more definite by stating "Universal truths" that aren't only interpreted by man, but stated by a god as well, therefore "I'm just doing what God wants" can justify any action, because no matter what your god says he's correct.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    Well... Respectfully I beg to differ.
    Sure if you're a Christian who doesn't take 100% of the Bible literally then you may not think like that, but if you believe the Bible is completely literal then to some extent you share those views.
    I mean it's right there in the 10 Commandments, you can't put another god before God. Many people have died because of that (surely Halloween is a reminder of that).
    I'm not saying Christians kill people anymore for having different beliefs, that hasn't happened in a little while, but I still think there are more than 1 in a million who share the view of "oh well they're going to Hell anyway" to some extent, even if it's just a little.
    It's a phenomenon associated with all religions, not as a fault of the religion itself all the time, often it's just a fault of the people.

It's not just a religious phenomena, it's a group one. If people belong to a group, some invariably take it further by thinking the members of that group are better than non-members. Religion just makes the beliefs more definite by stating "Universal truths" that aren't only interpreted by man, but stated by a god as well, therefore "I'm just doing what God wants" can justify any action, because no matter what your god says he's correct.

I stand by my previous statement.

If anything, the opposite of what you're saying is true. Most Christians who believe that Jesus is the only path to salvation are saddened by the deaths of non-believers. The problem (and widespread misconception) lies in the media's overexposure of the vastly outnumbered nutjobs who claim Christianity as their faith. The misguided idiots who bomb abortion clinics and picket gay rallies with signs that say "Gays Go to Hell" -- unfortunitely, they're usually the ones in the spotlight, perpetuating the negative stereotype.

Unless, of course, you're talking about strict Calvinists who believe in limited atonement, which states that God's mercy is "limited" to taking away the sins of the elect, not of all humanity -- this is not sound theology, to say the least, and again, these people represent a very small minority.
    Last edited by yossarian; 10-30-2006 at 09:32 AM.

I find that those who can't support their logic with facts tend towards ad hominem attacks.

This idiotic line of thinking is represented by a small minority of Christians... remember, ignorance isn't exclusive to any particular group but can be found in all of them -- it's an equal opportunity employer.
    Never start the day without some skepticism. My absolutely fave sites:
    Subscriber -
    Avid follower-SCAM.COM
    Loyal fan - Shameless
    Moderator - SomethingAwful
    Fanatic -Crank Dot Net
    Proudly, 2300 post Contributor - Epinions Network

I find that those who can't support their logic with facts tend towards ad hominem attacks.

That wasn't meant as an attack against you personally or even your statement, for that matter. It was aimed at the hypocrysy of religious fanatics -- the same thing you were pointing out. I started out writing a response to both yours and Sub's remarks combined, then split them for some reason. It should really have only been a response to Subjunk's post, as that was what I was addressing. It was late when I wrote it last night -- sorry.