+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: the universe

Re: the universe

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    I see what you're saying, you make good points, but I disagree on the inevitability of extinction. If an alien race has spread out to other planets or is living on structures they've made in space I don't see why they would become extinct.
    In my opinion as soon as a civilisation is past the space colonisation point their probability of indefinite survival increase exponentially (indefinite until the Universe is no longer able to support life that is)
    I agree but the point is that we've only had any kind of decent technology for a very short period of time relative to the age of the universe. Perhaps you're right and that conlonization prevents further extinction, at least of species intelligent enought to figure it out. But the possibility that any two civilazations of any real inteligence will evolve at the same time or close enough that one will discover the other seems very small to me. Even on earth, if you didn't happen to be around when the dinasours were here you missed them. I think I got this concept from one of Carl Sagan's books. He was talking about SETI and how he didn't think they'd get anywhere although he was in favor of them trying. Of course if we do figure out how to keep from becoming extinct we may eventually run into ET.

I keep saying. The meek shall inherit the earth. The rest of us are going to the stars.

Just dawned on me sub. It's christmas in NZ. Was santa good to ya?

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    I agree but the point is that we've only had any kind of decent technology for a very short period of time relative to the age of the universe. Perhaps you're right and that conlonization prevents further extinction, at least of species intelligent enought to figure it out. But the possibility that any two civilazations of any real inteligence will evolve at the same time or close enough that one will discover the other seems very small to me. Even on earth, if you didn't happen to be around when the dinasours were here you missed them. I think I got this concept from one of Carl Sagan's books. He was talking about SETI and how he didn't think they'd get anywhere although he was in favor of them trying. Of course if we do figure out how to keep from becoming extinct we may eventually run into ET.
    You're right if you think intelligent species only survive for a little while, but if you think the odds are good that somewhere in the Universe there are intelligent beings who are much older then it wouldn't matter who has evolved to an intelligent stage at what period in time. I think it is likely there are many alien beings in the Universe.

The whole radio communication thing is a stab in the dark I think. It seems possible to me that an alien civilisation wouldn't even develop radio communication technology. Radio has been an important part of our technological development but it's possible an alien civilisation developed technology that is much different to ours but gives the same broad functionality. But I do think SETI is good, I had it running on my computer for a while, along with Folding

Quote Originally Posted by bogie
    Just dawned on me sub. It's christmas in NZ. Was santa good to ya?
    Yeah! I got a NVIDIA 8800 video card :D It's massive, I'm just lucky I already have a huge computer case. And a bunch of books I can't wait to read.
    Merry Christmas :)
    How long do I have to wait to find out what Santa got you?

Yeah! I got a NVIDIA 8800 video card :D It's massive, I'm just lucky I already have a huge computer case. And a bunch of books I can't wait to read.
    Merry Christmas :)
    How long do I have to wait to find out what Santa got you?
    I think it was about 6pm when I wrote that. Went to bed early but visions of sugar plums and all kept me reading for awhile. It's 6:30am now, the dogs and I are waiting for the wife to wake up so we can check our stockings. Merry Christmas. :)

You're right if you think intelligent species only survive for a little while, but if you think the odds are good that somewhere in the Universe there are intelligent beings who are much older then it wouldn't matter who has evolved to an intelligent stage at what period in time. I think it is likely there are many alien beings in the Universe.

The whole radio communication thing is a stab in the dark I think. It seems possible to me that an alien civilisation wouldn't even develop radio communication technology. Radio has been an important part of our technological development but it's possible an alien civilisation developed technology that is much different to ours but gives the same broad functionality. But I do think SETI is good, I had it running on my computer for a while, along with Folding
    I hope they are out there. In fact I wonder if some of them aren't participating on this forum. A few here speak in a language that I think might be foreign to everybody on this planet. :D