+ Reply to Thread

Thread: question

question

I am new here. i have been chatting with someone online for a year now he says he is in the military, i have doubts, anyway the question i have is i traced his isp address and it says san jose california, does that mean that is his actual location? i have some understanding of isp, but not too much. i dont think he is in afghanistan like he says he is, so i traced the isp, can someone please answer that
    thanks

Re: question

Quote Originally Posted by mcgeek71 View Post
    I am new here. i have been chatting with someone online for a year now he says he is in the military, i have doubts, anyway the question i have is i traced his isp address and it says san jose california, does that mean that is his actual location?
    No, sorry, doubtful that is the scammer's real location. That scammer could be using a proxy program, satellite connection or cell phone tethering program.

i have some understanding of isp, but not too much. i dont think he is in afghanistan like he says he is, so i traced the isp, can someone please answer that
    thanks
    While that scammer could be in California, since there are scammers in every country in the world, what is more likely is that he is located in Nigeria or Ghana.

Let me guess, he has mentioned needing cash paid for a "leave request"? Or wanting you to buy a special ts2 cell phone so he can talk to you? Did he find hidden cash/jewels in trunk boxes and needs you to pay the shipping fees? He has asked you to send cash via Western Union or moneygram?

Is he an only child, parents are dead and he moved from an English speaking country to another when young? You are his soulmate and he wants to marry you as soon as his military duty is up, doesn't he? His English is "off", he misspells words and Capitalizes odd words in his sentences.

I am sorry but there is absolutely no chance that the person you are chatting with is in the military or located anywhere near Afghanistan. He is a lying scammer with one goal in life stealing your money and emotions.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even partial sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "fake Afghanistan scam Western Union", "fraud Western Union military love scam", "fake military leave scam", "fake ts2 military phone scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com