+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Yawn... is offline I ain't got time for pedantic Ghandi type internet nerds

Dog Eater Convicts Christians of Hate Crimes

Any Questions Liberals ?????

Obama's War on Christianity is just getting started.

Jury Convicts Amish Group of Hate Crimes

By ERIK ECKHOLM
    Published: September 20, 2012

Samuel Mullet Sr., the domineering leader of a renegade Amish sect, and 15 of his followers were convicted on Thursday in Cleveland of federal conspiracy and hate crimes for a series of bizarre beard- and hair-cutting attacks last fall that spread fear through the Amish of eastern Ohio.

The convictions of Mr. Mullet, along with several relatives and others from his settlement who carried out the assaults, could bring lengthy prison terms. The verdicts were a vindication for federal prosecutors, who made a risky decision to apply a 2009 federal hate-crimes law to the sect’s violent efforts to humiliate Amish rivals.

Defense lawyers in the case and an independent legal expert had argued that the government was overreaching by turning a personal vendetta within the Amish community, and related attacks, into a federal hate-crimes case. But the jury accepted the prosecutors’ description of the attacks as an effort to suppress the victims’ practice of religion, finding Mr. Mullet and the other defendants guilty on nearly all the multiple charges they faced of conspiracy, hate crimes and obstruction of justice.

The victims “simply wanted to be left to practice their own religion in their own way in peace,” said Steven M. Dettelbach, the United States attorney for the Northern District of Ohio, in a news conference after the verdicts were announced. “The defendants invaded their homes, physically attacked these people and sheared them almost like animals,” Mr. Dettelbach said.

Mr. Mullet, 66, founder of a community near Bergholz, Ohio, and 15 followers, including six women, were tried for their roles in five separate attacks last fall, involving assaults on nine people whom Mr. Mullet had described as enemies. The jury heard three weeks of testimony and deliberated more than four days before reaching a verdict at midday Thursday.

Although Mr. Mullet did not directly participate, prosecutors labeled him the mastermind of the assaults, in which groups of his followers invaded the homes of victims, threw them down and sheared their beards and hair. Among the traditional Amish, men’s long beards and women’s uncut hair are central to religious identity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/us...pagewanted=all

Re: Dog Eater Convicts Christians of Hate Crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Yawn... View Post
    Any Questions Liberals ?????

Obama's War on Christianity is just getting started.

Jury Convicts Amish Group of Hate Crimes

By ERIK ECKHOLM
    Published: September 20, 2012

Samuel Mullet Sr., the domineering leader of a renegade Amish sect, and 15 of his followers were convicted on Thursday in Cleveland of federal conspiracy and hate crimes for a series of bizarre beard- and hair-cutting attacks last fall that spread fear through the Amish of eastern Ohio.

The convictions of Mr. Mullet, along with several relatives and others from his settlement who carried out the assaults, could bring lengthy prison terms. The verdicts were a vindication for federal prosecutors, who made a risky decision to apply a 2009 federal hate-crimes law to the sect’s violent efforts to humiliate Amish rivals.

Defense lawyers in the case and an independent legal expert had argued that the government was overreaching by turning a personal vendetta within the Amish community, and related attacks, into a federal hate-crimes case. But the jury accepted the prosecutors’ description of the attacks as an effort to suppress the victims’ practice of religion, finding Mr. Mullet and the other defendants guilty on nearly all the multiple charges they faced of conspiracy, hate crimes and obstruction of justice.

The victims “simply wanted to be left to practice their own religion in their own way in peace,” said Steven M. Dettelbach, the United States attorney for the Northern District of Ohio, in a news conference after the verdicts were announced. “The defendants invaded their homes, physically attacked these people and sheared them almost like animals,” Mr. Dettelbach said.

Mr. Mullet, 66, founder of a community near Bergholz, Ohio, and 15 followers, including six women, were tried for their roles in five separate attacks last fall, involving assaults on nine people whom Mr. Mullet had described as enemies. The jury heard three weeks of testimony and deliberated more than four days before reaching a verdict at midday Thursday.

Although Mr. Mullet did not directly participate, prosecutors labeled him the mastermind of the assaults, in which groups of his followers invaded the homes of victims, threw them down and sheared their beards and hair. Among the traditional Amish, men’s long beards and women’s uncut hair are central to religious identity.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/us...pagewanted=all

Holy shit Batman! Beard shaving attacks!

How will I sleep at night?

franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.

Hmmm

This is interesting.

It sounds extreme to say these people may get lengthy prison sentences, I doubt they will. Surely they have no prior history of offenses.

I need to know how the Amish feel about their beards and hair as it relates to their religion.

Yawn do you know the answer to this?

Catholic Nuns cut guys hair back in the day. Dragged them to the restroom at school and whacked their hair off if it was to long. Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    Hmmm

This is interesting.

It sounds extreme to say these people may get lengthy prison sentences, I doubt they will. Surely they have no prior history of offenses.

I need to know how the Amish feel about their beards and hair as it relates to their religion.

Catholic Nuns cut guys hair back in the day. Dragged them to the restroom at school and whacked their hair off if it was to long. Yep

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    Isn't this what Romney and his pals were accused of doing in school....holdin some longhair down and shearing??

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHA™

Stop it.

I have work to do today.

Hmmm

This is interesting.

Damm straight - I hate hippie dope smoker slakers.

Where is TrueChristian™ when you need him...

Tulip, I have now idea about the Amish.

It seems to me a few ego maniac extremists took matters into their own hands and terrorized the others.

Frankly, I am a little suspect of any religion that takes themselves a bit too seriously.

Jew, muslim, christian etc. etc.

The Blues Brother movies are just so funny.

I read up on beards and hair regarding the Amish but it seems the nicks and cuts were what the jury was looking at.

Probably the leader who instigated this will get the longest sentence.

They did wrong but I am kind of surprised this is being taken so serious and could bring such lengthy prison sentences.

I'm not sure I see this as hate crime.

This Mullet guy had excommunicated these people and when they joined another sect he got all upset and chose to humiliate them.

Mullet also had testimony about having sex with a woman who he was suppose to be counseling. He'll get the strictest sentence.
    Last edited by Tulip; 09-21-2012 at 02:23 PM.

Damm straight - I hate hippie dope smoker slakers.

Where is TrueChristian™ when you need him...

Tulip, I have now idea about the Amish.

It seems to me a few ego maniac extremists took matters into their own hands and terrorized the others.

Frankly, I am a little suspect of any religion that takes themselves a bit too seriously.

Jew, muslim, christian etc. etc.
    I feel bad for these people for getting themselves in so much trouble but it says their attorney is going to appeal the verdict. He doesn't feel this should be tried as a hate crime.

Yes I agree religion can contribute to problematic issues for people.

The Blues Brother movies are just so funny.

I read up on beards and hair regarding the Amish but it seems the nicks and cuts were what the jury was looking at.

Probably the leader who instigated this will get the longest sentence.

They did wrong but I am kind of surprised this is being taken so serious and could bring such lengthy prison sentences.

I'm not sure I see this as hate crime.

This Mullet guy had excommunicated these people and when they joined another sect he got all upset and chose to humiliate them.

Mullet also had testimony about having sex with a woman who he was suppose to be counseling. He'll get the strictest sentence.
    Well, it is still an assault. They broke into their homes and assaulted them physically.

They could face some real time for this.
    "I have never understood why it is considered "greed" to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

- Thomas Sowell
    http://www.tsowell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleP View Post
    Well, it is still an assault. They broke into their homes and assaulted them physically.

They could face some real time for this.
    For me charging these people with a federal hate crime is something I'm not sure is right.

I agree they committed a crime.

For me charging these people with a federal hate crime is something I'm not sure is right.

I agree they committed a crime.
    I agree.. I don't think it's a hate crime.
    "I have never understood why it is considered "greed" to keep the money you've earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else's money"

- Thomas Sowell
    http://www.tsowell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleP View Post
    I agree.. I don't think it's a hate crime.
    Maybe there's some sort of Amish "sheria-like" law they can claim a duty to and get out of it... You know that'd work if they were, um, something else.
    Who's running this popcorn stand anyway? :zx11pissed:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
    Maybe there's some sort of Amish "sheria-like" law they can claim a duty to and get out of it... You know that'd work if they were, um, something else.
    Don't open that can of worms...

Now we will have the paranoid part of this forum posting scary articles about the "amish-creep" in American society.

Look how beards and hats are growing popular... :nervouss:
    All these trendy people wearing black... Soon it will become chic to speak English with an ancient German accent...
    The horror, the horror... look how you surrender! :errr:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
    That crossed my mind too.

Thanks for the clip yawn. The scene with the nun reminded me my nuns in grade school! they would wack you with that yard stick (boys only) and if they broke it over you, you had to have a replacement by the next morning. That meant you had to tell your mom that the nun wacked you and we all know they didn't hit you with out a reason. So now you are in trouble with your mom, because she had to drop everything she was doing and take you to a store and get another one ! Then wait till Dad gets home!
    I swear by my life and my love for it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for me.
    John Galt

Your mom must have had to buy a lot of rulers.

And you still didn't learn your lesson.....

Then you joined the Marines.

BWHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAH™
    Last edited by Yawn...; 09-22-2012 at 02:40 AM.