+ Reply to Thread

Dad wants to pull kids from school on religous beliefs

I Have never understood parents like this.

I say let him pull his kids from the class. Also let them fail for not doing the course material.

Ontario dad wants option of pulling kids out of class based on religious beliefs

TORONTO - An Ontario father is taking his children's school board to court in a bid for advance notice on lesson plans that might contradict his Christian beliefs.
    Steve Tourloukis is asking Ontario's Superior Court to force the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board for a heads-up when topics such as marriage, family and sexuality will be discussed in his kids' classes.
    It's discriminatory to deny him the religious accommodation when it is provided to people of other faiths, such as Jehovah's Witnesses, Tourloukis said Monday at a news conference.
    He dismissed the idea of educating his children — a son in Grade 4 and a daughter in Grade 1 — in the separate school system.
    "Why should I send my children to another school?" he said. "I pay my taxes...I don't see why somebody else's discrimination should cause me, should influence where I send my children. Not in a free country. Not in Canada."
    Tourloukis noted that he teaches his children that everyone is made in the image of God and to love people who are different from them, but said this isn't about his religious beliefs.
    "This is about a parent's right to know what is being taught in schools," he said.
    "My children are my own. I own them. They don't belong to the school board."
    The Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board said a spokesperson would be available later Monday to comment.
    Education Minister Laurel Broten said she believes in the province's "evidence-based curriculum" and it must be taught across Ontario.
    "We are confident and stand by our curriculum and all boards across the province have religious accommodation protocols that they put in place at a local level," she said.
    NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said decisions about accommodations are up to the local school boards.
    "That's why we have independently elected trustees," she said. "It remains their purview to make those decisions and to determine what the board can handle as far as accommodating the needs of parents and the kids."
    http://ca.news.yahoo.com/ontario-dad...27.html?_esi=1

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.

Re: Dad wants to pull kids from school on religous beliefs

Good. His kid is probably going to grow up to be another ignorant bible-babbler just like he is.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

It's gotten worse. Some christian agency has gotten involved.

Concerned parents in Toronto are asking schools to notify them when their child's class will be discussing "sensitive subjects" — including homosexuality, evolution, birth control, and "environmental worship" — so they can remove their child from classes that conflict with their religious believes,

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...170950378.html

Translation: How dare they teach my kids that Homosexuals are not the devil, The the earth is millions of years old, how sex works so they don't need an abortion at 13, and damn them all for suggesting that global warming is from pollution and not gods Wrath for homosexuals.

I really hope that nothing comes from this but toronto sometimes exists in there own little buble.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

I live in Ontario and there is a Public school board that teaches science and a Catholic school board that teaches religious based science. Both are completely funded by the provincial coffers.

He can easily put his kids in a Catholic school where they are taught about the wonders of the mythical sky fairy..... Just not his specific flavor of mythical sky fairy.
    A real, honest, falsifiable claim made b.y Seer of dreams:(2011)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I believe there will be a nuclear war in October of this year.
    Oh Cnance.... Full of shit as always.