+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone with any experiance with contractxchange?

I found this site for this company that (appears to) connect people that want to work from home (Customer sevice - inbound call answering type jobs) with companies that want to hire contractors to do the work. So far I've found that the sign up account is free and the jobs come from various companies like pizza hut and audible.com. When you set up your account, you configure your resume and they requie you to pass 3 tests, a typing test, a hardware test and an internet connection speed test. After that you can apply for a job. Jobs are hourly or pay per call handled with wages ranging form $10/hr to $22/hr.

NOW here's the possible "catch" that has me warey. It makes sense tha you need to be trained to do a job for these companies and most require a background check...fine....but as I've searched, the fees for training range from $25-$380 from what I've seen from the the company and then I see that the conractxchange its self seems to require another $375 worth of training. This starts to seem like a scam to me, but it doesn't seem so crazy that you have to pay for your own training if you are going to be working as a contractor from home. Now the negative is that it states there are no refunds on training, so if you don't pass the training, you have to pay for it again if you still want the job. BUT you are only invited to do the training if you have been accepted for the position, so as long as you pass the training you have the job.

This is all I know right now and I"m looking for anyone with opinions or experiences with this website or one similar.

If it is not a scam, I don't mind laying the money out for a $16/hr job that I can do for at least a year (the contracts for most of the companies are for 1 year and then are renewable) Its a one time expense as far as I can tell and I suppose is reasonable, but if someone knows if it is a scam, please let me know to save me the strife.

Any info on this is appreciated!!!

Re: Anyone with any experiance with contractxchange?

Quote Originally Posted by mfriedl1
    I found this site for this company that (appears to) connect people that want to work from home (Customer sevice - inbound call answering type jobs) with companies that want to hire contractors to do the work. So far I've found that the sign up account is free and the jobs come from various companies like pizza hut and audible.com. When you set up your account, you configure your resume and they requie you to pass 3 tests, a typing test, a hardware test and an internet connection speed test. After that you can apply for a job. Jobs are hourly or pay per call handled with wages ranging form $10/hr to $22/hr.

NOW here's the possible "catch" that has me warey. It makes sense tha you need to be trained to do a job for these companies and most require a background check...fine....but as I've searched, the fees for training range from $25-$380 from what I've seen from the the company and then I see that the conractxchange its self seems to require another $375 worth of training. This starts to seem like a scam to me, but it doesn't seem so crazy that you have to pay for your own training if you are going to be working as a contractor from home. Now the negative is that it states there are no refunds on training, so if you don't pass the training, you have to pay for it again if you still want the job. BUT you are only invited to do the training if you have been accepted for the position, so as long as you pass the training you have the job.

This is all I know right now and I"m looking for anyone with opinions or experiences with this website or one similar.

If it is not a scam, I don't mind laying the money out for a $16/hr job that I can do for at least a year (the contracts for most of the companies are for 1 year and then are renewable) Its a one time expense as far as I can tell and I suppose is reasonable, but if someone knows if it is a scam, please let me know to save me the strife.

I worked for AOL online for 5 years. I never, ever, paid for 'training'. I did plenty of training but it was on AOL's dime.

I have a friend now who works for some company as a customer service rep from her home (not sure which company) and she did not pay for any "training" she did have to show that she knew how to do the job and was required to take skill tests.

It is no different to working in a brick and mortar environment. Companies expect you to bring a skillset to the job but additional training required for their specific environment is their expense.

I could see a logic in offering on-line courses to people who do want to work from home but lack skills in, say, Access or Excel or other applications needed. But I would certainly never sign up for some "non refundable" training.

My advice? Contact such companies directly and ask them where they hire their at home workers. Ask Pizza Hut or Alpine or whomever you are interested in - ask them directly. Don't rely on what sounds to me like an incredibly expensive red herring.

The training fee seems to be very high. Have you applied to companies like Alpine Access, Working Solutions which charge no fee at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Duck98
    I worked for AOL online for 5 years. I never, ever, paid for 'training'. I did plenty of training but it was on AOL's dime.

I have a friend now who works for some company as a customer service rep from her home (not sure which company) and she did not pay for any "training" she did have to show that she knew how to do the job and was required to take skill tests.

It is no different to working in a brick and mortar environment. Companies expect you to bring a skillset to the job but additional training required for their specific environment is their expense.

I could see a logic in offering on-line courses to people who do want to work from home but lack skills in, say, Access or Excel or other applications needed. But I would certainly never sign up for some "non refundable" training.

My advice? Contact such companies directly and ask them where they hire their at home workers. Ask Pizza Hut or Alpine or whomever you are interested in - ask them directly. Don't rely on what sounds to me like an incredibly expensive red herring.
    Thanks for your input. Could you find out the company that your friend works for? I'd be intersted to know that. Also, when you worked for AOL was it from home? Anyways, thanks again for the advice, I'll try contacting the companies directly to see if I can get anywhere that way. I'll keep you updated.

Quote Originally Posted by pcwork
    The training fee seems to be very high. Have you applied to companies like Alpine Access, Working Solutions which charge no fee at all?
    yeah, that's kinda what I think. It seems that even if you don't need any training from the company, it will cost you $375 in required training to start working....seems steap.

What do you know about alpine access and working solutions? Are the the same kind site as contract xchange? Do you work for/with either of them? Any insight is appreciated...

Thanks.

Something doesn't ring true....

Quote Originally Posted by scambuster
    Something doesn't ring true....
    What do you mean by this? What doesn't ring true?

Quote Originally Posted by mfriedl1

Hi just to let you know that Contract Exchange is not a Scam. It is a new set up that does work after training the guys who desined the idea were worried that the system may look like a scam but rest assured it is not and the clients that you will work for are all top companies

Quote Originally Posted by exsup
    Hi just to let you know that Contract Exchange is not a Scam. It is a new set up that does work after training the guys who desined the idea were worried that the system may look like a scam but rest assured it is not and the clients that you will work for are all top companies

well wow, that's reassuring. After all it's not like any scam artists ever come on these boards to say that some total crapola is "real".

You didn't address any of the issues - why is that?

Why the expensive and non-refundable "training" - start with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck98
    well wow, that's reassuring. After all it's not like any scam artists ever come on these boards to say that some total crapola is "real".

You didn't address any of the issues - why is that?

Why the expensive and non-refundable "training" - start with that.
    The expensive training is what bothers me. The person I "spoke" to on the chat said it was not refundable, but if you passed you were guaranteed the position you applied for since you don't get invited to go to training until your application is excepted. I'm just very leary of spending that kind of money on training for a job that I can't get back...

It would just be nice if you could get your money back for the training if you don't get the job or you don't get paid for your work...but I guess that would negate the point of a scam, if it is one. I'm not saying it is or it isn't a scam...but I just don't like the $400+ training fee...seems suspicious.

i personally know a few people who are using contractxchange, and it does seem legitimate. The training fees do seem high, however, this is what it would cost a company to train a regular employee. The webstie states that the training fees are paid by the agent so the hiring company doesn't have to incur these costs. These companies are hiring remote agents to save on the costs of running a call center. I guess that contractxchange is like a temp agency for people wanting to work from home.

My cousin used contractxchange and it is legitimate and she loved it. She now has an outside job, but would definitely do it again. I am in the process of doing it now. Training isn't that high for all positions...right now I have applied for the direct energy courtesy calling team at 14-16 per hr. and it is 150.00 for training. Now you can do your training online...my cousin actually had to go to Richmond Hill to do her training so this is another great improvement. The training company is not affiliated with contractxchange and fees are their own....as far as I know.

Re: Anyone with any experiance with contractxchan

Quote Originally Posted by mfriedl1 View Post
    What do you mean by this? What doesn't ring true?
    Hi just to let everyone know that I too was wary of this comapany as they are recruiting for British Gas at the moment. i have been on the phone all week speaking to managers of british gas to find out if it is cosha. at first i was told that it was not true that British Gas did not have customer service advisers working from home, yet after a few days a top manager rang me to say that it was legitamate, and it was a new service that was being piloted in the uk, after it's success in Canada. I am wary of the initial outlay however i have had two telephone interviews which were intense and i am going to go for it. in for penny in for a pound, you have to be in it to win it!!

can you let us know what sort of questions they asked , would be useful

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Fletcher View Post
    Hi just to let everyone know that I too was wary of this comapany as they are recruiting for British Gas at the moment. i have been on the phone all week speaking to managers of british gas to find out if it is cosha. at first i was told that it was not true that British Gas did not have customer service advisers working from home, yet after a few days a top manager rang me to say that it was legitamate, and it was a new service that was being piloted in the uk, after it's success in Canada. I am wary of the initial outlay however i have had two telephone interviews which were intense and i am going to go for it. in for penny in for a pound, you have to be in it to win it!!
    Hi Carol, How did you get on with ContractXchange & British Gas? Do British Gas reimburse the training fee & how much is it if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by ashleymegan View Post
    i personally know a few people who are using contractxchange, and it does seem legitimate. The training fees do seem high, however, this is what it would cost a company to train a regular employee. The webstie states that the training fees are paid by the agent so the hiring company doesn't have to incur these costs. These companies are hiring remote agents to save on the costs of running a call center. I guess that contractxchange is like a temp agency for people wanting to work from home.
    I have worked as a temp for many years & have never yet paid for my own training. I had a job as co-ordinator for a Nursing Agency that was working from home & they trained me in the office. If you're saving a company money by being a remote agent the least they could do is pay for your training? ContractXchange should operate like a regular temping agency & charge the employer even if it's only for the advertising. Who pays the wages, the company or ContractXchange?
    Last edited by Tallulah; 11-04-2008 at 04:52 PM. Reason: To add