+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N.a.s.c.a.r.

N.a.s.c.a.r.

anybody into racing? here's the current standings in the chase for the Nextel Cup!

current stats after today's race:

Rank +/- Driver Points Behind Starts Poles Wins Top 5 Top 10
    1 +2 Kevin Harvick 5230 Leader 27 1 4 12 15
    2 +3 Denny Hamlin* 5195 -35 27 3 2 5 14
    3 -2 Matt Kenseth 5189 -41 27 0 4 13 17
    4 +5 Jeff Gordon 5180 -50 27 0 2 11 13
    5 +3 Jeff Burton 5166 -64 27 4 0 4 16
    6 +1 Mark Martin 5155 -75 27 0 0 6 12
    7 -1 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 5149 -81 27 0 1 8 12
    8 +2 Kasey Kahne 5120 -110 27 4 5 9 14
    9 -7 Jimmie Johnson 5091 -139 27 1 4 8 18
    10 -6 Kyle Busch 5084 -146 27 1 1 9 15

Gordon's holding his own. it's a tight race! should be an iteresting finish! GO JEFF GORDON GO!
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 09-18-2006 at 06:02 AM.

TheWorker Guest

Re: N.a.s.c.a.r.

nascar blowsss

Quote Originally Posted by TheWorker
    nascar blowsss
    ya that's what i was hoping for. someone to show up to have a sensible conversation with... :rolleyes:

TheWorker Guest

you asked if "anyone was into nascar?", not "anyone who is interested come have a sensible discussion with me".

well what i didn't ask for is rude comments. just simply ignore the thread if your not interested. it's that easy...

HERE'S THE LATEST RACE RESULTS & NEXTEL CUP STATS AFTER TODAY'S RACE:

Dover 400
    Fin. No. Driver
    1 31 Jeff Burton
    2 99 Carl Edwards
    3 24 Jeff Gordon
    4 2 Kurt Busch
    5 16 Greg Biffle
    6 1 Martin Truex Jr.
    7 43 Bobby Labonte
    8 07 Clint Bowyer
    9 11 Denny Hamlin
    10 17 Matt Kenseth

Rank Driver Behind
    1. +4 Jeff Burton Leader
    2. +2 Jeff Gordon -6
    3. -- Matt Kenseth -18
    4. -2 Denny Hamlin -18
    5. -4 Kevin Harvick -54
    6. -- Mark Martin -75
    7. -- Dale Earnhardt Jr. -102
    8. +1 Jimmie Johnson -136
    9. -1 Kasey Kahne -182
    10. -- Kyle Busch -224

What can you say?

Just another strong effort and run by Jeff Gordon and the Dupont Team.

They are hitting their stride now it seems and that spells trouble for everyone else in the chase.

Great job capitalizing on all the trouble the other chasers had today.

Go get them at Kansas boys ! "Track similar to Chicago"

Matt Kenseth who had the race won ran out of gas on the last lap! LOL! omg! i almost fell off my chair laughing! LOL!

TheWorker Guest

actually Saturn, i was not rude, i stated my opinion on nascar. you are the one who made a reference to my sensibilities, an attack on me directly. you were the rude one.

is my fan club growing? no, i was referring to my desire to have a sensible conversation, not to your senses! i don't attack people especially people i don't even know. you don't think saying "nascar blows" to a person who likes nascar sounds a little rude? so if i show up in one of your threads & say the same thing you won't be slightly offended by it? look, just forget about it alright & keep this topic on track o.k.? it's really no big deal....
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 09-25-2006 at 10:10 PM.

man i'm annoyed now! the last 3 races for Jeff Gordon were jinxed! first an accident which he had nothing to do with, then a loss of fuel pressure (bad fuel pump) the following race, & saturday night's race his engine blew up! :mad: what the hell's going on? am i giving him bad luck wearing his number? the way luck has been for me lately, i wonder.....

Rank +/- Driver Points Behind Starts Poles Wins Top 5 Top 10
    1 -- Jeff Burton 5763 Leader 31 4 1 7 19
    2 -- Matt Kenseth 5718 -45 31 0 4 14 19
    3 +1 Kevin Harvick 5674 -89 31 1 4 12 16
    4 -1 Mark Martin 5661 -102 31 0 0 7 14
    5 +1 Dale Earnhardt Jr. 5657 -106 31 0 1 9 14
    6 -1 Denny Hamlin* 5626 -137 31 3 2 5 15
    7 +1 Jimmie Johnson 5617 -146 31 1 4 9 19
    8 +1 Kasey Kahne 5603 -160 31 5 6 11 16
    9 +1 Kyle Busch 5568 -195 31 1 1 9 17
    10 -3 Jeff Gordon 5547 -216 31 1 2 12 14
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 10-16-2006 at 07:59 AM.

my boys Jimmi Johnson & Jeff Gordon moved up in points after this race. :highfive: that spin-out by Dale Earnhardt cost him big time. it's interesting how Jeff Burton fell so far from the top after just one race. should be an exciting finish! Hendrick Racing Baby!

MARTINSVILLE, Va. -- Trouble for the points leader and good runs for many of his closest pursuers left the Chase wide open on Sunday, setting up what is likely to be a wild four-race battle for the title.

Jimmie Johnson took the lead from Bobby Labonte with 55 laps to go and held it through several restarts to win the crash-filled Subway 500 at Martinsville Speedway, while 2003 champion Matt Kenseth replaced Jeff Burton atop the standings.

Jimmie Johnson and Grandfather Credit: Autostock

Subway 500
    Official Results
    Pos. Driver Make

1. Jimmie Johnson Chevy
    2. Denny Hamlin Chevy
    3. Bobby Labonte Dodge
    4. Tony Stewart Chevy
    5. Jeff Gordon Chevy
    6. Casey Mears Dodge
    7. Kasey Kahne Dodge
    8. Jeff Green Chevy
    9. Kevin Harvick Chevy
    10. Kyle Petty Dodge

Complete results, click here
    Official standings, click here

Victory LaneJimmie Johnson celebrates his Subway 500 win at Martinsville
    Top finishersHamlin, Dale Jr. and Kenseth talk about their day at Martinsville
    Final lapsJimmie Johnson tries to hold off Denny Hamlin down the stretch
    Spin outDale Jr. takes a spin when trying to pass Kasey Kahne
    Tough dayJeff Burton retires to garage with motor problems
    PileupKevin Harvick damages car during a multi-car pileup
    Johnson moved from seventh to third in the standings with four races left, and appears to be the driver with the most momentum heading into the final month.

"I'm just happy to finish where we should have," said Johnson, who was denied at least a second-place finish at Talladega when he was spun out on the last lap two weeks ago, then finished second last week at Charlotte. "We've been running up front the last three of four races and haven't been able to close the deal. [Sunday] we did."

Kenseth assumed the points lead when Burton pulled his car into the garage after just 217 laps because of engine trouble, and most everyone took advantage.

Next week in Atlanta, seven drivers will start within 99 points of Kenseth, who finished 11th on Sunday and seemed more concerned about his performance than excited.

"It's great to be the leader, but we've got to start running good," Kenseth said. "It's still pretty wide open. It's going to be pretty exciting, I think, coming down to the last race. I'm glad we are in the lead and if we can get going back on these last four tracks like we were earlier in the year, I think we've got a shot at it."

Kevin Harvick is now second, 36 points back, and Johnson is 41 points behind. Denny Hamlin moved into fourth, 47 back. Burton dropped to 48 points off the pace, marking the first time the points leader has changed in the second half of the playoffs.

"By no means do I think we are out of this thing," Burton said. "We won't lay down. We'll go to Atlanta feeling like we have as good a shot as anybody."

Dale Earnhardt Jr. (94), Mark Martin (96) and Kasey Kahne (99) also are within striking distance of Kenseth.

But Johnson, a two-time runner-up in the championship, made the biggest move in the standings after starting the race 146 points back. He quickly worked his way forward after being 10th on a restart with 94 laps to go, passed Jeff Gordon for second with about 70 laps to go and put Labonte in his rearview mirror on the 446th of 500 laps.

From there, he made it look easy, pulling away with relative ease on every restart except the last one, when Hamlin, a rookie, nudged him and pulled up alongside. Johnson rebuffed the challenge, got back in front and won by 0.545 seconds.

"Once I got pushed to the outside, I really felt like I was in trouble," Johnson said of the duel, "but I was able to rally back on the outside and get going, and once I got back going, I knew I had a better car and could get away from him.

"He played with that line, but didn't cross it and I respect him for it."

Hamlin said it may have been best that he never did get around Johnson.

Matt Kenseth came away from Martinsville with the points lead. Credit: Autostock

Chase for the Nextel Cup
    After Martinsville
    (6th of 10 races)
    Pos. +/- Driver Behind

1. +1 Matt Kenseth Leader
    2. +1 Kevin Harvick -36
    3. +4 Jimmie Johnson -41
    4. +2 Denny Hamlin -47
    5. -4 Jeff Burton -48
    6. -1 D. Earnhardt Jr. -94
    7. -3 Mark Martin -96
    8. -- Kasey Kahne -99
    9. +1 Jeff Gordon -141
    10. -1 Kyle Busch -171

Complete standings, click here
    SUPERSTORE
    2006 Chase merchandise!

"I knew if I cleared him, he'd do the same thing to me going into the next corner and odds are I would not have been able to save it like he did," he said.

Labonte finished third, followed by Tony Stewart and Gordon, who cut 75 points off his deficit but is still 141 back. Kyle Busch is 10th, 171 points back.

The race featured 18 cautions for 107 laps, and the 17th one was, remarkably, the only one that really impacted Chase contenders. It happened on Lap 477 when Earnhardt and Kahne, battling for sixth, bumped in Turn 3, sending Earnhardt spinning.

Kahne raced on and finished seventh; Earnhardt wound up 22nd.

Earnhardt said he was to blame after driving too hard into the turn.

"I guess I need to get somebody on [the radio] to preach to me to have more patience because I definitely can't take control of myself," he said.

On the last restart, Hamlin stayed on Johnson's bumper heading into the first turn and bumped him coming out of the second turn, then pulled inside down the backstretch. Johnson stayed side-by-side with him for an entire lap, then beat him coming off the fourth turn to get in front and Hamlin seemed content to protect second place.

Earlier, it looked like it might be the day when Gordon tied Dale Earnhardt for sixth with 76 career victories, but Gordon's car wasn't good enough to pull it off.

After pitting for four tires and fuel under a caution on Lap 367 while most other teams stayed out, Gordon moved into third when another caution flew with 100 to go.

But the four-time champion's car wasn't strong enough to pass either leader Bobby Labonte or Casey Mears, and when Johnson appeared on Gordon's back bumper with about 70 laps to go, it was only a matter of time before he also zoomed past his teammate.

Labonte used the same strategy to get to the front, and it worked.

"I feel like I stole something," he said.

i think montoya will do a great impact on nascar and soon his gonna start kicking ass i can feel how jeff is feeling the pression ... lmao ... go Juan FTW teach this guys how to drive a cup car!

After: Checker Auto Parts 500 presented by Pennzoil
    Rank Driver Behind
    1. -- Jimmie Johnson Leader
    2. -- Matt Kenseth -63
    3. +2 Kevin Harvick -90
    4. -- Denny Hamlin -90
    5. -2 Dale Earnhardt Jr. -115
    6. -- Jeff Gordon -167
    7. -- Jeff Burton -225
    8. +1 Mark Martin -273
    9. +1 Kasey Kahne -319
    10. -2 Kyle Busch -359

this comming sunday's race is the last. Jimmi Johnson has to come in 11th to win the Nextel Cup. go Hendrick Racing baby!

Quote Originally Posted by knifer
    i think montoya will do a great impact on nascar and soon his gonna start kicking ass i can feel how jeff is feeling the pression ... lmao ... go Juan FTW teach this guys how to drive a cup car!
    man did ya see that nasty crash by Montoya! a huge fireball! his car looked like a crashed ufo! welcome to NASCAR! lol! :D

JIMMI JOHNSON WINS IT! YEHAAA! CAN'T WAIT UNTIL 2007!

HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- A large, burly man wearing blue jeans and a No. 48 cap waited anxiously Sunday night as Jimmie Johnson leaned against his car for his first interview after winning his first Nextel Cup title.

As the television crew moved away Johnson noticed the man, his face red and beaming with pride, and stepped toward him.

Jimmie Johnson beat Matt Kenseth by 56 points to win the 2006 Nextel Cup. Credit: Autostock

Nextel Cup Series
    2006 Driver Standings
    Pos. Driver Behind

1. Jimmie Johnson Leader
    2. Matt Kenseth -56
    3. Denny Hamlin -68
    4. Kevin Harvick -78
    5. Dale Earnhardt Jr. -147
    6. Jeff Gordon -219
    7. Jeff Burton -247
    8. Kasey Kahne -292
    9. Mark Martin -307
    10. Kyle Busch -448

Complete standings, click here
    CHASE FOR THE NEXTEL CUP
    Nextel Cup champion's gear

ChampionJimmie Johnson holds on to win the 2006 Nextel Cup title
    Good dayJeff Gordon wins today as the co-owner of the 48 team
    The man embraced Johnson with a powerful bear hug and patted him on the back just as he'd done a thousand times before races, just as he'd done four hours earlier before this one at Homestead-Miami Speedway.

This one was different.

"That was the best one," said Gary Johnson, the father of the 2006 Cup champion. "That one was the best ever."

The elder Johnson looked like Average Joe race fan as he stood below the stage covered in yellow and black confetti. The hundreds of fans that rushed past him to get a glimpse of the ceremony had no idea he was the father of the driver that was about to receive a $6.2 million check.

He was a reminder that Johnson wasn't born with a silver spoon, that the model wife and jet-set lifestyle weren't on the radar when the 31-year-old Johnson raced motorcycles in the California desert.

"Nine years ago we were watching this on the couch at home in El Cajon [Calif.]," Johnson's father said. "To be here is incredible."

Indeed, the journey has been long for Johnson, longer than most realize. He grew up with modest means, his father working for a tire company while racing motorcycles on weekends and his mother driving a school bus.

"We were just a regular working family," said Gary, whose celebration included a keg in the Busch Series garage. "We just loved racing. We did it as a hobby. We would go camp in our van and that's what we did for fun."

Perhaps it was the blue-collar lifestyle that made Johnson so resilient when he came up eight points short of the title in 2004 and finished fifth last season after entering the final race only 52 points behind Tony Stewart.

Perhaps it was that workmanlike attitude that allowed Johnson to fight back after falling to eighth, 156 points out of first, five races into the Chase.

Had he lost this one, his father is sure he would have come back for more.

"I've always told him Johnsons do it the hard way," Gary said.

"Nine years ago we were watching this on the couch at home in El Cajon [Calif.]. To be here is incredible."
    - Gary Johnson, on his son Jimmie winning the title

The elder Johnson also taught his son to set his goals high, to "shoot for the moon."

But Gary never imagined this, not when Johnson raced motorcycles and dune buggies. Neither did Johnson.

"That was my goal, to race motorcycles," Johnson said. "I really had to perform to get my next break."

That came in 1993 when Johnson was introduced to Herb Fishel, the executive director of General Motors Racing. Fishel began following Johnson's career and in 1997 offered him an opportunity to drive for an off-road team.

NASCAR didn't get on the radar until Johnson was waiting in an office to meet with Fishel and saw a picture of Jeff Gordon on the wall.

"He said, 'I'd like to do that,'" Gary said. "Then to end up to be Jeff's teammate, partner and friend ... unbelievable."

The nervous energy Gary felt before his son's 400-mile journey was gone, replaced by pure elation.

"Just waiting has been the hard part," he said before the race.

The wait was at times unbearable. The toughest moment came on Lap 15 when a piece of debris from the first caution left what crew chief Chad Knaus described as a "gaping" hole in the grill.

"I kept waiting for him to say they had a water leak," Gary said. "Thank God, it didn't."

Jimmie Johnson needed to finish 12 or better on Sunday, but he wound up ninth. Credit: Autostock

Ford 400
    Results
    Pos. Driver Make

1. Greg Biffle Ford
    2. Martin Truex Jr. Chevy
    3. Denny Hamlin Chevy
    4. Kasey Kahne Dodge
    5. Kevin Harvick Chevy
    6. Matt Kenseth Ford
    7. Scott Riggs Dodge
    8. Carl Edwards Ford
    9. Jimmie Johnson Chevy
    10. Clint Bowyer Chevy

Complete results, click here

Ford 400Catch all the highlights from the season finale
    The crew patched the hole with tape and Johnson, who had moved from his starting position of 15th to 10th, restarted 39th.

"That's our drama for today," Knaus said over the car radio. "Now you've got to get past all of those cars."

Johnson quickly moved back through the field. On Lap 78 he passed Kevin Harvick on the high side to move into the top 10.

He led a lap just before pitting on Lap 108 for five bonus points and was running 13th, a spot behind challenger Matt Kenseth, after a Lap 184 restart.

"Let's just follow the 17 [Kenseth] the rest of the night," Johnson said.

Johnson seemed calm at the moment, but he wasn't that way all weekend as he repeatedly claimed. His father saw through that, particularly during Saturday's final practice when Kenseth, who began the day 63 points out, picked up a lot of speed.

"I told him it doesn't matter, that you don't have to beat him," his dad said. "You just do good and have a good finish and let it fall where it may.

"Then I gave him a big hug, patted him on the back and told him to get them. We're a family of huggers."

Gary had to wait longer than he wanted for the final hug. Several cautions during the final laps, the last leading to a green-white-checkered finish, made the ending nerve-racking for the man who still works heavy equipment for a living.

But as Johnson did his burnout and team owner Rick Hendrick looked away from the monitor that his eyes had been fixated on, Gary finally breathed a sigh of relief.

"The cautions kept coming and coming," Gary said. "I was like, 'Quit!'"

That didn't end the waiting. Gary had to wait for his son to reach Victory Lane, and then wait for nearly five minutes while Johnson stood in front of the television camera.

Fortunately for Gary, he waited in front of a sign that said, "Jimmie Johnson. 2006 Nextel Cup champion."

"It was hard," Johnson said of the wait. "But it was worth it."

I used to go to all the MIS back when it was the Winston Cup. But my brother-in-law stopped buying the tickets, didn't tell us so that we could continue and we lost our seats next to pit row! Bummer! I don't get into watching any sport on TV. That bores the snot out of me! I would much rather be there!

My husband was a Rusty Wallace fan. He was ok, and I pretended to root for him. But, I personally liked Earnhart Jr. and Martin. Unfortunately Martin hasn't done much of anything since his father's passing. It's sad. He had a roller coaster career going for a while. But I don't pay much attention anymore becuase I don't attend the races and I don't like to watch them on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by heavensent
    I used to go to all the MIS back when it was the Winston Cup. But my brother-in-law stopped buying the tickets, didn't tell us so that we could continue and we lost our seats next to pit row! Bummer! I don't get into watching any sport on TV. That bores the snot out of me! I would much rather be there!

My husband was a Rusty Wallace fan. He was ok, and I pretended to root for him. But, I personally liked Earnhart Jr. and Martin. Unfortunately Martin hasn't done much of anything since his father's passing. It's sad. He had a roller coaster career going for a while. But I don't pay much attention anymore becuase I don't attend the races and I don't like to watch them on TV.
    you had seats next to pit row? wow! that must have been exciting! did you change any tires or educate the drivers on proper eating while pitting? :D i'm planning on going to michigan's race this year. it's the closest track to where i live. i like the Hendrick team: Jeff Gordon, Jimmi Johnson, Brian Vickers, & Kyle Busch...
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 12-28-2006 at 06:04 PM.