+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Air America To Declare Bankruptcy

They weren’t good enough, they weren’t smart enough, and gosh darn it, nobody liked them.

You have to love the spin over at thinkprogress:

The right wing is sure to seize on Air America’s financial woes as a sign that progressive talk radio is unpopular. In fact, Air America succeeded at creating something that didn’t exist: the progressive talk radio format. That format is now established and strong and will continue with or without Air America.

Strong? Hello people... Their ratings in every major city in the United States are in the toilet. That's why they are going belly up. lol

http://thinkprogress.org/2006/09/13/...ica-bankruptcy

Re: Air America To Declare Bankruptcy

Air America Stiffs Franken

LIVING ON AIR FrankenIs Air America Radio filing for bankruptcy on Friday? That's what Think Progress, citing three sources, reported today. Calls to Air America executives weren't returned, but star talk-show host Al Franken confirms that, once again, the troubled network is facing a serious cash crunch.
    "I don't know if that's true or not," Franken tells Radar when asked about the bankruptcy report. "We do know that there have been cash-flow problems. I haven't been paid in a while. Like, there's no cash flowing to me."

It's not the first time Franken has gone without a paycheck. Air America ran out of money promptly after it launched in 2004, after disgraced former chairman Evan Cohen inflated the amount of money he had raised to fund the network. Since then, Air America has seen a litany of troubles, executive departures, talent shuffles, and lawsuits. Six months ago, the network was booted from its flagship station in New York City, WLIB, to a much weaker signal that doesn't cover the entire city, and it laid off five staffers on September 11, according to the New York Post.

Franken isn't the only person Air America is in hock to. Last year, the network settled a multi-million-dollar lawsuit by Multicultural Broadcasting, the owner of its Chicago and Los Angeles stations, for its failure to pay for rented time. But according to Multicultural's attorney, Randy Mastro, the network still hasn't paid up. "It involved a structured settlement over time," Mastro says. "There is additional money owed. If it's true [that they're filing for bankruptcy], we'll have to do something about that."

Norman Wain, a Cleveland-based former radio executive and investor in Air America, says he hadn't heard about any financial difficulties. "I know nothing about it," he says. "They don't communicate with investors very well. They only come to us when they're looking for more money." The last time that happened, he says, was "three or four months ago."

If bankruptcy is imminent, the timing couldn't be worse for Franken: His new movie, Al Franken: God Spoke, opens today in New York. In a statement, an Air America spokeswoman said "no decision has been taken to make any filing of any kind."

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusive...fs-franken.php

Ya know I had rough day at the office today but this good news gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

OK, I never listened to them so I guess I just can't "share in the joy" of it all. I reckon I'll survive, anything that makes the two of you giddy with joy should be avoided at all costs.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    OK, I never listened to them

Lady Mod
    Finally some common ground!
    A giant mushroom cloud, 24 empty missile tubes... It's Miller Time!

maybe if the dems get elected to rule supreme over the house of reps, they can sneak funding for this political nasty into an omnibus bill.....afterall, obviously the free marketplace will not accept it. What better way than NPR to get the bs shoved down the innocent an unsuspecting brainless farts.......not educated enough to know the issues, just simple minded _ good for mischief _ good-4-nothings!....

no more war, we want the freedom to be allowed to have our heads removed at the torso!

no more war, if i appease you, i will go last....right? oops!

no more war, it's all my fault my country is raping you blind and we should pay 12 dollars a gallon for your precious resources........what's that? My prias does require some fuel?......oh forget it!

no more war.......if i lived in Israel, I would move in a heartbeat!

no more war.......911 was an invention to wage war upon non agressive nations.......(serious lol)

no more war.........war sux but so does the plan of the hopefully next elected president.........yay..shrillary.....as long as we have the power to give away rich peoples money to those that refuse to go get a job.......(almost the communistic ideals of stalin.....eh?)

no more war.......my underwear is tight enough around my shriveled sack without you warmongers wanting to draft me, stick me in a foxhole with another drafted effeminate......ohhh wait a second.....? lexx=hehehehe

Raider's response:

no more war.........u puzzz'z are sickening...where is your backbone...where is your heart....where has your love of country gone?.......The Euro-elite doesn't give a rats azz about the direction of this country. They appease all day long til the policeman comes to town......Guess what u fuklenutted dingleberry's? You are destroying the chance for the great peace....Prophesized in all the books of faith...torah/bible/quoran. Go research something....fizzizlenuts! Seek and ye shall find!.....btw, that was also prophesized.........

:cool:

I wouldn't break out the champagne yet! Did someone post bad intelligence? I don't know, we'll see. In the meantime let's launch a preventive attack against any radio station that has broadcast any type of liberal programming in the past just in case they try to reconstitute weapons of truth.

Air America: Layoffs, but no plans for bankruptcy filing by liberal radio network

By Larry McShane
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

10:10 a.m. September 14, 2006

NEW YORK – Financially strapped Air America Radio, after star commentator Al Franken said his paycheck had stopped coming, acknowledged Thursday that it had laid off a few employees but insisted it has no plans to declare bankruptcy.

“If Air America had filed for bankruptcy every time someone rumored it to be doing so, we would have ceased to exist long ago,” Jaime Horn, a spokeswoman for the liberal talk show network, said in a statement. “It may be frustrating to some that it hasn't happened.” Who could he be talking about?

Horn, without getting specific, said there were “a handful of layoffs” that followed a move of the network's New York outlet from WLIB-AM to WWRL-AM, a station with a less powerful signal. The network launched in March 2004.

Franken, broadcasting Thursday from New York, said he was aware of the bankruptcy rumors. “We may or may not, that's what I'm hearing,” Franken said at the start of his noon broadcast. But he assured listeners that the financial problems wouldn't silence the network.

“Let me say one thing; if we do go into bankruptcy – I've flown on United (Airlines),” he said. “They went into bankruptcy.”

United operated for more than three years before it came out of bankruptcy last February.

Franken, in a recent interviews, said the network was suffering from “a cash flow problem.”

“No cash has been flowing to me,” Franken, who makes a reported $2 million a year, told The New York Sun. “That's the first inkling I got of a cash flow problem.”

Horn said no decision was made on any filing, and that the network was unsure about the source of the bankruptcy rumors. Franken said he discovered last week that his paychecks had stopped last week.

The network has suffered from financial woes during its 2½ years on the air, as reflected in Horn's statement about past bankruptcy rumors. Last year, the network became involved in a financial scandal when authorities said that $875,000 from a community center largely financed by government grants and contracts wound up going to Air America.

The investigation into that case was continuing.

Air America co-founder Evan Cohen was a development director at the Gloria Wise Boys & Girls Club at the same time he was launching the network. His connection to Air America ended in May 2004 amid questions about the network's finances.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/f...iramerica.html

UPDATE

The Liberal website that broke this story was WRONG! It appears that Air America is not filing for bankruptcy, but this didn't stop good ol' Al Franken from starring in his book "Lies and the lying liars who tell them"

Here is the retraction from "Think Progress".

Despite reports the liberal talk network would file for bankruptcy protection by week's end that apparently isn¡'t happening. Franken tells listeners we're not in Chapter 11 and pokes at conservative talk hosts and websites for getting it wrong with quips like "who's gloating now Bill O'Reilly?" We still believe it's a tough economic situation at the libnet and several staffers have been laid-off.

On Wednesday, ThinkProgress reported "Air America Radio will announce a major restructuring on Friday, which is expected to include a bankruptcy filing." We made a judgment that our sources were knowledgeable and reliable. We regret the error.
    I do appreciate Think Progress printing the retraction, but I have to wonder if this story had been about the demise of a conservative media venue, would they have been so forthcoming?

Last edited by Grim17; 09-16-2006 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17

I do appreciate Think Progress printing the retraction, but I have to wonder if this story had been about the demise of a conservative media venue, would they have been so forthcoming?

I thought you didn't think there was a "conservative media venue" Grim? Aren't they all the damned liberal media?

Lady Mod

I thought you didn't think there was a "conservative media venue" Grim? Aren't they all the damned liberal media?

Lady Mod
    What would you call the EIB Network (aka Rush Limbaugh)?

Fox News is also a conservative media venue. The majority of their opinion show hosts are conservative in nature. Don't misunderstand me though, there is a big difference between "opinion" and "news". When it comes to Fox's presentation of the news, they are as neutral as they come (according to studies by both UCLA and Columbia University).

What would you call the EIB Network (aka Rush Limbaugh)?

Fox News is also a conservative media venue. The majority of their opinion show hosts are conservative in nature. Don't misunderstand me though, there is a big difference between "opinion" and "news". When it comes to Fox's presentation of the news, they are as neutral as they come (according to studies by both UCLA and Columbia University).

This is what I know about Rush Limbaugh, (other than he looks like he was beat up by the ugly tree) nothing, other than what is told here because I don't watch television.

I think All news presentations are pretty neutral Grim. But opinions are just that, opinions and those reflect the leaning of the author. And they only gain an audience of those who share the same opinions OR enjoy the entertainment.

I thought UCLA was one of those "damned liberal" schools?

Lady Mod

I think it is a good thing they are still "alive"...they are a collection of some of the most useless, bitter, uneducated, angry, filthy losers ever seen in a single location and provide a handy 'snapshot' of todays liberal for those searching for opinion. Their REAL crime, of course, is that they are neither clever nor funny.
    'Whining Bitterly ' is simply a radio theme/format with limited appeal...very, very, VERY limited appeal...LOL

I thought UCLA was one of those "damned liberal" schools?

Lady Mod
    It is... But when your paid to do a study, you have to publish the results. In my opinion although, because they didn't yield the results that I'm sure many there had hoped for, they buried those results without fanfare on their website.

It is... But when your paid to do a study, you have to publish the results. In my opinion although, because they didn't yield the results that I'm sure many there had hoped for, they buried those results without fanfare on their website.

Ahhhh! The light begins to dawn now.

I wonder if their paid studies aren't biased then? Drug companies pay for a lot of studies and gee, we never find out until disaster happens that these "safe drugs" are killing our kids or causing cancer, things like that.

So, how do we know that these particular studies are free from bias Grim?

I don't think we ever really do until things happen to work out one way or the other either proving those studies right or wrong.

Right?

Lady Mod

Ahhhh! The light begins to dawn now.

I wonder if their paid studies aren't biased then? Drug companies pay for a lot of studies and gee, we never find out until disaster happens that these "safe drugs" are killing our kids or causing cancer, things like that.

So, how do we know that these particular studies are free from bias Grim?

I don't think we ever really do until things happen to work out one way or the other either proving those studies right or wrong.

Right?

Lady Mod
    Biased? This study is a joke. As you know lady mod, there's two sides to every story. Here's the second side to this story.

Former fellows at conservative think tanks issued flawed UCLA-led study on media's "liberal bias"

Summary: News outlets including CNN cited a study of several major media outlets by a UCLA political scientist and a University of Missouri-Columbia economist purporting to "show a strong liberal bias." But the study employed a measure of "bias" so problematic that its findings are next to useless, and the authors -- both former fellows at conservative think tanks cited in the study to illustrate liberal bias -- seem unaware of the substantial scholarly work that exists on the topic.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200512220003
    Last edited by bairdi; 09-17-2006 at 03:32 AM.

mediamatters is hands down, the biggest joke of a website on the internet. They run around trying to disprove that the media has a liberal bias. It is nothing but a big joke. They lie, manipulate and mislead people by butchering media stories to try do what every liberal site tries to do... BS the American people.

mediamatters... What a frickin joke... lololololololol

mediamatters is hands down, the biggest joke of a website on the internet. They run around trying to disprove that the media has a liberal bias. It is nothing but a big joke. They lie, manipulate and mislead people by butchering media stories to try do what every liberal site tries to do... BS the American people.

mediamatters... What a frickin joke... lololololololol
    But are they paid? And if so, then doesn't that prove what I said, that whoever pays for the study is going to have the results slant in their favor?

LM