+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Are there really any legitament Work from Home opportunities?

Are there really any legitament work from home opportunities out there? I am a new stay at home mom. I just quit my job back in March to stay home with our new baby. It was my husbands idea because he did not want to pay someone else to raise our baby, he had to talk me into it. Plus we figured up the cost and 1 entire pay check would be going to pay just the daycare costs.
    But my husband and I were making equal pay so it has been tough to adjust to half the income we were used to. Bills have fallen behind and forget about buying any "fun" stuff, its just the bare minimum for us now.
    I have been searching and searching the web for a legitament work from home job, with no luck. Everyone wants you to pay them just for the right to view thier job listings or work for their company. I already know that if they want you to pay them then it is not for real. No job requires that you pay them for the right to work, legitament jobs pay you for doing a good job.
    I have searched sites strictly for stay at home moms that "claim" they are there to help other stay at home moms and are not scams. I have listened to 15-30 minute spiels that go on and on about their great opportunities and then they get to the catch that if you pay them X amount of money then "you too can be making the big bucks"
    Honestly I am just tired, lost, and confused and I do not know where to turn. I cannot return to work now even if I wanted to pay someone else to raise our son. Besides the fact that my husband would never agree to it (no matter how much we are struggling) I also gave up my car because we could not afford 2 car payments. And I do not live in a city that has any public transportation/bus system, except for cabs and those are just too expensive.
    If anyone knows a legitament company offering work from home positions, that do not require me to be on the phone(my son is 6 months old so being on the phone does not work because he cries a lot) then please e-mail me!!
    Thank you for your time.

Re: Are there really any legitament Work from Home opportunities?

There are a bunch of companies listed on my website for free. You can click on the company and fill out an application. No money involved. One of them does require a background check which you pay for but that is farther along in the process if they are hiring. You can click on the link in my profile to get to the website. I sure hope you find something you like!

You can make some good extra money with network marketing, but that usually costs something to get started, whether it be a startup fee or an autoship. I'm a single stay-at-home mom, though, and I've been making a profit for months now.

Have you ever thought about medical transcription?
    I do not believe that MLM/Network Marketing is a bad business model. I believe it's the shady people in MLM that make it LOOK bad. As long as you work hard, run your business ethically, and work with ethical people, then MLM can help you reach your financial goals... whether it's just to make extra money on the side or a full-time income.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with years of experience."

Pink Zebra Sprinkles

There are many legitimate work at home jobs available, but you have apply to the companies and be willing to work hard . If you are looking for easy money , you will only find scams

[
    Hi,
    I'm confused also with so many job at home, we don't know yet which one is real ?

QUOTE=katiescorner]There are a bunch of companies listed on my website for free. You can click on the company and fill out an application. No money involved. One of them does require a background check which you pay for but that is farther along in the process if they are hiring. You can click on the link in my profile to get to the website. I sure hope you find something you like![/QUOTE]

Hi Katiescorner,
    How to open your link of your profile? I wanna to see the website,thx

Work up a resume and start with some career sites and submit it. Careerbuilder.com has been rather impressive with some of their offerings. And you pick and choose yourself what you are interested in applying for. If something looks good but you aren't sure if it pays well, you come here and ask if anyone has any experience with the company. 90% of the time someone will be able to tell you something about it.

Namaste'

Lady Mod

8. 09-20-2006, 05:38 PM

Quote Originally Posted by Prettynyc
    Hi Katiescorner,
    How to open your link of your profile? I wanna to see the website,thx
    Just click on my name and then click on visit homepage

I too am really confused by all the work from home opportunities. I stay at home with our three yr old and we are not making it. We really do not want to put our son in daycare and I am more than willing to work hard from home. I am really interested in doing Medical Billing from home. Does anyone know anything about it ? I also was wondering if anyone here has ever done any of the Mystery shopper or online survey jobs ? I will be very grateful for any help or advice anyone can give me. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmommy
    I too am really confused by all the work from home opportunities. I stay at home with our three yr old and we are not making it. We really do not want to put our son in daycare and I am more than willing to work hard from home. I am really interested in doing Medical Billing from home. Does anyone know anything about it ? I also was wondering if anyone here has ever done any of the Mystery shopper or online survey jobs ? I will be very grateful for any help or advice anyone can give me. Thanks
    What can you work hard at at home that people would be willing to pay you for?

I know that sounds like a dumb question but it is at the heart of this. You don't mention what skills you have, what your areas of expertise are. What can you offer a potential employer? You cannot offer uninterrupted work time for example - you have a 3 year old who is your top priority. That pretty much rules out any sort of customer service.

Your question about "I am really interested in doing medical billing from home. Does anyone know anything about it?" is an indicator. If YOU don't know anything about it - why are you interested in it? Do you have any experience at all in the "medical billing" field? (Just to be fair I must say that I have absolutely no idea about it).

I would recommend that you take stock of your own skills and experience and look for jobs in those fields that could possibly be done from home and then sell yourself to the employer. Stop looking at the words "work from home" in ads or in email. Start looking for things you can do well.

There is no easy answer to this. It is not like companies are falling all over themselves to offer work to people at home however good companies will work to accomodate good employees.

My website is based around mystery shopping and surveys, working from home etc and all the information is free. Feel free to click the link in my profile and check it out.
    I don't know much about medical billing as an at home job but you can find out about transcription and virtual assistants at wahm from others who are working in those fields.

I also have to say, Duck is correct in his thinking. It seems like people who want to work from home feel they will get hired for a position in which they know nothing about. Just as a doctors office wouldn't hire you if you don't have billing experience neither will anyone else. The same for transcription. If you don't know what you are doing you won't get hired. Most of the companies who hire people to work from home are looking for experience. Whether it is experience in customer service or sales you DO need to have experience in these fields. Also, if you are looking for a job you WILL need to be able to work uninterupted and in a quiet area. You might want to consider starting your own business so you will have more freedom with your child.

Quote Originally Posted by katiescorner
    I also have to say, Duck is correct in his thinking. It seems like people who want to work from home feel they will get hired for a position in which they know nothing about. Just as a doctors office wouldn't hire you if you don't have billing experience neither will anyone else. The same for transcription. If you don't know what you are doing you won't get hired. Most of the companies who hire people to work from home are looking for experience. Whether it is experience in customer service or sales you DO need to have experience in these fields. Also, if you are looking for a job you WILL need to be able to work uninterupted and in a quiet area. You might want to consider starting your own business so you will have more freedom with your child.
    I have to agree with KC and Duck (as I usually do).

I work as a writer/proofreader/editor and it's a tough business. Amazingly, many people think they can write. Or that you can make money writing.

The way you can make money writing is if you're writing your name on the back of an unemployment check...

I'm starting to look into to PTC/PTR sites on my web page. If you're looking for $0.50 an hour job, I'm thinking this is the way to go. :rolleyes:

If I do it long enough, I'm gonna be able to get that can of soda I have my eye on!! Wish me luck guys!!

Darcy
    Last edited by scambuster; 09-21-2006 at 05:30 AM.
    My own effort to combat the scams:
    Work from Home Guide.

Darcy you are way too funny! Although I know some people love the ptr/ptc stuff, I have to agree with you completely! I tried it for a few days and came to the same conclusion. It would take me a week and a lot of boring reading to make enough for a candy bar! BTW... I think I like the KC! :)

Quote Originally Posted by jmsmommy
    Instead of paying for a medical billing course, try applying to general transcription companies like Tigerfish , Mountain West. They are legit, dont need experience and you can download a file from their website for practice

Quote Originally Posted by katiescorner
    Darcy you are way too funny! Although I know some people love the ptr/ptc stuff, I have to agree with you completely! I tried it for a few days and came to the same conclusion. It would take me a week and a lot of boring reading to make enough for a candy bar! BTW... I think I like the KC! :)
    I'm glad you like it! I initialize everything!

It is weird at how MUCH the site are identical to each other. There has to be template somewhere.

So far, I'm recommending ONE company out of about 50. One company even said they only pay 0.008 cents per email.

You'd have to read 125 emails to earn a PENNY!

What a joke!!

Darcy
    My own effort to combat the scams:
    Work from Home Guide.