+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Re: Why God is impossible - an Essay

The point remains: the presence of imperfections in the universe disproves the supposed perfection of its creator.
    I'd say just the opposite.

Belief More Important Than Action

Consider all of the people who live in the remote regions of the world who have never even heard the "gospel" of Jesus Christ. Consider the people who have naturally adhered to the religion of their parents and nation as they had been taught to do since birth.
    This will sound cold, but you're also not thinking of the timeline of history. Amerindians living before Columbus obviously didnt hear of Judaism or Jesus (unless youre Mormon, whatever). But let me ask, where did these Amerindian people come from? If we all came from a common ancestor who knew God, and the descendants of this person went out into the ends of the Earth and then started to make up their own religions, and passed it down to their children-- who's fault is that? Is it Gods, or the descendants who chose not to follow the God they originally knew?

If Adam's descendants followed the God, and didnt start making up their own stuff to pass onto their children, then there wouldnt be any other religions to pass on in the first place.

Its their ancestors faults, not God's.

But regardless, where there is no law, there is no sin.

If we are to believe the Christians, all of these people will perish in the eternal fire for not believing in Jesus.
    Or, before Jesus it was Judaism.

And its Adam's descendants fault for developing religions that despise God (human sacrfices, anyone?). Or should followers of a religion that practice human sacrifice, like the Mayans and early Europeans, also be acceptable to God?

It does not matter how just, kind, and generous they have been with their fellow humans during their lifetime:
    Again, if there were no law or society to hold you back, and you lived in your natural human state, how would you act?

Regardless, your focus is "how just, kind, and generous they have been WITH THEIR FELLOW HUMANS during their lifetime." Again, our creation isnt focused on other humans, but on God.

Anyways, how good is good enough? How many times are you allowed to lust? How many times are you allowed to cuss? Is there an average sin per day on record? Everyone above 50% goes to heaven, everyone below goes to hell?

A human can never be justified by how "good" he is. Humans naturally kill, murder, and commit genocide. How is God going to find that just?

if they do not accept the gospel of Jesus, they are condemned. No just God would ever judge a man by his beliefs rather than his actions.
    Only if they have heard the gospel of Jesus. Otherwise they'd still be under the covenant God created with Adam/Abraham/etc, I suppose.

And I dont think you'd WANT to be judged by your actions. If we were, every single human being would burn in hell.

Contradictory Justice

One need look to no source other than the Bible to discover its imperfections, for it contradicts itself and thus exposes its own imperfection. It contradicts itself on matters of justice, for the same just God who assures his people that sons shall not be punished for the sins of their fathers turns around and destroys an entire household for the sin of one man (he had stolen some of Yahweh's war loot). It was this same Yahweh who afflicted thousands of his innocent people with plague and death to punish their evil king David for taking a census (?!).
    Wow, you really butched that one. You have to understand God's covenant with Israel to understand what that's all about, though.
    God promised Israel that, when they were faithful to Him, He would bless them. If they turned away from Him and followed other idols, he would judge them. This covenant was established with Abraham, and STILL exists to this day.

So yes, when Israel turns its back on God, He punishes them. That's a just God in my book.

This covenant is important all throughout the Torah (or "old testament"). If you dont understand it, you seriously cant read the rest of the Torah and understand it.

It was this same Yahweh who allowed the humans to slaughter his son because the perfect Yahweh had botched his own creation.
    You have to understand why Jesus had to be killed in the first place, and the way God declared people righteous prior to Jesus.

If you dont understand that then, yeah, Jesus' death was pretty pointless for you.

Consider how many have been stoned, burned, slaughtered, raped, and enslaved because of Yahweh's skewed sense of justice.
    Or is it your skewed sense of justice?

Also, God decides punishment himself. He doesnt have us do it for Him. So yes, I'm sure Christians and Jews throughout history have done many bad things, saying its done for God. That doesnt mean it's in the Torah or Gospel though.

This applies to any religion, anywas. 9/11 cross your mind, perhaps?

The blood of innocent babies is on the perfect, just, compassionate hands of Yahweh.
    No, I'd say the blood of innocent babies is on the hand of liberal progressives.

Contradictory History

The Bible contradicts itself on matters of history. A person who reads and compares the contents of the Bible will be confused about exactly who Esau's wives were, whether Timnah was a concubine or a son, and whether Jesus' earthly lineage is through Solomon or his brother Nathan. These are but a few of hundreds of documented historical contradictions. If the Bible cannot confirm itself in mundane earthly matters, how are we to trust it on moral and spiritual matters?
    You havent given any errors here, show me the passages in the original languages texts.

Unfulfilled Prophecy

The Bible misinterprets its own prophecies. Read Isaiah 7 and compare it to Matthew 1 to find but one of many misinterpreted prophecies of which Christians are either passively or willfully ignorant.
    Uh, what? What exactly are you referring to? http://www.pbc.org/library/files/html/0578.html

The fulfillment of prophecy in the Bible is cited as proof of its divine inspiration, and yet here is but one major example of a prophecy whose intended meaning has been and continues to be twisted to support subsequent absurd and false doctrines.
    I still dont understand or see what's twisted, how its twisted, and what it's originally supposed to mean.

There are no ends to which the credulous will not go to support their feeble beliefs in the face of compelling evidence against them.
    Haha, such feeble minded people! Only stupid people like Martin Luther King and Ben Franklin would believe such fairy tales!

When you look at an entire group of people, and tell them theyre all feeble minded, theres something wrong with YOU there. I'm not stupid just because I dont agree with you.

The Bible is imperfect. It only takes one imperfection to destroy the supposed perfection of this alleged Word of God. Many have been found.
    such as?
    A perfect God who reveals his perfect will in an imperfect book is impossible.
    You still havent shown where it's imperfect, only that your opinion thinks it's imperfect. Big difference.

The Omniscient Changes the Future

A God who knows the future is powerless to change it. An omniscient God who is all-powerful and freewilled is impossible.
    Wait, what? Where did you come up with this? Must be an assumption.

The Conclusion of the matter

I have offered arguments for the impossibility, and thus the non- existence, of the Christian God Yahweh. No reasonable and freethinking individual can accept
    Again, repeating how stupid Christians are. If I did this same thing to Muslims or Buddhists, I'd be sacrificed by the liberal progressive powers.
    the existence of a being whose nature is so contradictory as that of Yahweh, the "perfect" creator of our imperfect universe. The existence of Yahweh is as impossible as the existence of cubic spheres or invisible pink unicorns.
    Actually, you cant prove cubic spheres or invisible unicorns don't exist. But I understand what youre saying. And as I've pointed out, your main problem is your focus on the creation, not the creator; and his intent on creating in the first place.

You havent proven anything yet, youve just showed that you've never read the bible yourself, and only get your information from smear websites. Not exactly the source to find out what a group of people actually believe.

Theres also a big problem when you tell a whole group of people that what they believe is equivilant to pink unicorns, and tell a whole group of people that theyre all stupid. You can disagree with me, that's fine. But denigrating, name calling, etc etc is... well... stupid.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by keith_p
    I'd say just the opposite.
    Then you would be wrong. The two incompatable attributes. Just like the cube and the sphere. One has corners, six in fact, and the other has none. Not that that is just the only difference, but there are 6 points that are inexcusable. If there is a point, its not a sphere. If there are not 5, not 7, but 6 and only 6 points AND it has other aspects, then it is a cube. They have mutually exclusive attribute. Same thing with perfection and imperfection.

This will sound cold, but you're also not thinking of the timeline of history. Amerindians living before Columbus obviously didnt hear of Judaism or Jesus (unless youre Mormon, whatever). But let me ask, where did these Amerindian people come from? If we all came from a common ancestor who knew God, and the descendants of this person went out into the ends of the Earth and then started to make up their own religions, and passed it down to their children-- who's fault is that? Is it Gods, or the descendants who chose not to follow the God they originally knew?

If Adam's descendants followed the God, and didnt start making up their own stuff to pass onto their children, then there wouldnt be any other religions to pass on in the first place.

Its their ancestors faults, not God's.
    Sorry bub, You can't have your cake and eat it too on this one. So your saying that a child can be held accountable for the sins of his distant ancestor on the order of 5000 generations?

Either God should have sent messengers that could reach them all or just mind is own business. Yeah its God's fault. 1800 years of him burning the hell out of souls just cause he didn't want to send someone to the americas? Wow. See how I run to love him.

To look at the parallel, you only need to take a Catholic bible and an Anglican bible to see how much the "true" christians have changed it on a whim. Natice americans pride themselves on their accuracy of story telling. Christians are known for changing their bible for whatever serves the need of their priests.

But regardless, where there is no law, there is no sin.
    I wonder if you believe what your saying? God's laws have infinate scope. I like how you can just turn religion on and off as it suits you. God's law would be relavant to all or to none. Your telling me anyone who doesn't know goes to hell.

Or, before Jesus it was Judaism.

And its Adam's descendants fault for developing religions that despise God (human sacrfices, anyone?). Or should followers of a religion that practice human sacrifice, like the Mayans and early Europeans, also be acceptable to God?
    Your bible still encourages human sacrifice for a variety of reasons. Don't get holier than thou until you read your own bible.

Again, if there were no law or society to hold you back, and you lived in your natural human state, how would you act?

Regardless, your focus is "how just, kind, and generous they have been WITH THEIR FELLOW HUMANS during their lifetime." Again, our creation isnt focused on other humans, but on God.

Anyways, how good is good enough? How many times are you allowed to lust? How many times are you allowed to cuss? Is there an average sin per day on record? Everyone above 50% goes to heaven, everyone below goes to hell?

A human can never be justified by how "good" he is. Humans naturally kill, murder, and commit genocide. How is God going to find that just?
    And the millions who killed in his name? What of them?

Only if they have heard the gospel of Jesus. Otherwise they'd still be under the covenant God created with Adam/Abraham/etc, I suppose.

And I dont think you'd WANT to be judged by your actions. If we were, every single human being would burn in hell.
    That is a topic for another discussion. If you read your bible you are all going to hell. Even if you follow the bible. You have to love everyone AND hate everyone. Eat flesh, drink blood, be a deciple, sell off all your posesions and give them to charity.... Nobody does this. Your all going to hell.

Wow, you really butched that one. You have to understand God's covenant with Israel to understand what that's all about, though.
    This sentence in laymens t.erms: Wow I didn't know that. Let me just retell the story so that God is great again.

No you have the bible, you read the stories and take them at face value. You want to go word for word on some parts? Go word for word on this.
    God promised Israel that, when they were faithful to Him, He would bless them. If they turned away from Him and followed other idols, he would judge them. This covenant was established with Abraham, and STILL exists to this day.

So yes, when Israel turns its back on God, He punishes them. That's a just God in my book.

This covenant is important all throughout the Torah (or "old testament"). If you dont understand it, you seriously cant read the rest of the Torah and understand it.

You have to understand why Jesus had to be killed in the first place, and the way God declared people righteous prior to Jesus.

If you dont understand that then, yeah, Jesus' death was pretty pointless for you.
    Yep pretty pointless. Considering that the actions of mortal humans could no more affect an omnipotent being than the actions of an ant could move the moon.

Besides why did he send his "only begotten son"? Hes omnipotent! He could send 20 sons to all cultures. Maybe one every milennia to make sure we're on track. Sorry, I never bought that storey to begin with.

Or is it your skewed sense of justice?

Also, God decides punishment himself. He doesnt have us do it for Him. So yes, I'm sure Christians and Jews throughout history have done many bad things, saying its done for God. That doesnt mean it's in the Torah or Gospel though.
    Have you read the Torah?

Sorry I can't continue this. You just seem to be able to turn on and off the religion whenever it suits you.

Anything good is because God loves you and is perfect. Anything bad is because God is unperfect and we have free will. Thats God's mistake. Until you realize that you cannot have a cubial sphere, theres no point in continuing anyway. That means you are not thinking rationally, not considering logic and being... well... stupid.

Knee,

Christians are asking the people of the world to invest ALL EXISTENCE in a thing which is simply NOT KNOWN TO BE THE CASE !

Is it truly fair and just to invest this entire planet's biosphere, and in Christians asking all other cultures to change paths and begin following the Western Culture, putting at risk the ENTIRE FUTURE OF Humanity and all Life on this planet- WHAT IF THE CHRISTIAN THING IS WRONG ? ! WHAT IF we are being asked to stake EVERYTHING on a thing not known for certain ?

Is that FAIR to the ones hearing the ' word ' for the first time ?

Kevin Puppos

I would like to see a debate between you and Born2Serve That would be great!!!!

That's quite a strange essay because students of every religion should write it and this is intolerant. If I got such an essay, I would use rapid college essay writing service because I am a deeply faithful man.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangerso View Post
    That's quite a strange essay because students of every religion should write it and this is intolerant. If I got such an essay, I would use rapid college essay writing service because I am a deeply faithful man.
    What does information on essay writing have to do with religion? Is it about religious writing?