+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Max world population

Here is a subject that I have been interested in for years. Ever since I was a small child I recognised the adverse effects of overpopulation.

In countries like China, the main rivers are so polluted that accidently falling in can be fatal. Even if you do get out right away and never get any into your mouth or eyes. The toxins are thick enough to kill you by absorbing through your skin. This is just death do to high population density.

I always argues with my social studies teacher that the earth could not continue to sustain high populations. The globe is warming at an alarming rate causeing massive weather disturbances and melting icecaps. See Mount Kilimanjaru (sp) Its ice caps are about to finish melting. Hurricanes off the south east coast of USA have been growing in power and frequency in a linear relation to global temperature.

Read a book called Snowball earth. It mentions how many top scientists speculate that the earth could have fluctuated from being totally covered with ice to being superheated with greenhouse gasses. Only the production of oxygen and ozone broke this cycle of extremes and gave us a temperate world. The point I want to extract from this book is the mathematical models that show exagerated greenhouse gasses could power superhuricanes. Infact the warmer the world gets, the stronger the hurricanes can become. It is provent that the hurricanes do filter these same gasses out of the atmosphere as well. They work as a check to the balance of gas.

As far as I can find, all I see are more and more evidence that there are just too many people on this planet. From destroying rainforests to feed the starving to closing boarders to immigrants to keep the overpopulation out, proof is around every corner.

I don't think there is any question about how many people the world can hold, but the question arises what we can do about it.

Several asian cultures have adopted the idea of one child per family, mostly unsuccessfully. Many of their children are killed at or before birth so that they can ensure having a male heir. Many others are abandoned at adoption centers to be sent overseas.

Many science fiction novels have had ideas such as serilizing everyone at birth and reversing the process for those who have been shown to have no genetic diseases. Almost all of these novels show how this meathon is being abused. Is this really a bad idea if managed correctly? We could eliminate some terrible diseases such as AIDS, cerebral palsey, epilepsy etc. At the same time we could easily reduce the world population to exact 1 billion or so - whatever can be maintained without further destruction of natural

Other novels suggest alternatives such as killing children at or before birth if they have these genetic abnormalities. This can have really scarey implications because who knows what could be considered genetically inferior. This starts to look like the plan that one Adolf Hitler had. Only blond hair, blue eyes kids are allowed.... We must not allow ourselves to progress to that level.

What options do we have? As the world pop approaces 7 billion people, it will soon get very crouded, even in seeminly vast, barren areas. Have you ever seen a town in all of north america that hasn't had to expand it boards or make huge new housing projects?

Re: Max world population

I agree absolutely. Most environmental problems can be traced back to overpopulation. I think there's two options though. Either we reduce the world population, or we drastically rethink the way we live our lives. I remember reading a paper, I don't have a reference anymore, that said the world would be capable of supporting 200-300 million Americans (ie. consuming resources the way Americans do) indefinitely. People don't realise that almost everything is a finite resource.

I read a novel idea in a SF book. Give everyone the right to have 0.75 children. When two people have a child, they have 0.5 children left over, and they can either sell the right to that half, or buy someone elses. Obviously this wouldn't work, but the reality is that its an important issue, yet one that no world leader is going to consider seriously until its too late.

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    I agree absolutely. Most environmental problems can be traced back to overpopulation. I think there's two options though. Either we reduce the world population, or we drastically rethink the way we live our lives. I remember reading a paper, I don't have a reference anymore, that said the world would be capable of supporting 200-300 million Americans (ie. consuming resources the way Americans do) indefinitely. People don't realise that almost everything is a finite resource.

I read a novel idea in a SF book. Give everyone the right to have 0.75 children. When two people have a child, they have 0.5 children left over, and they can either sell the right to that half, or buy someone elses. Obviously this wouldn't work, but the reality is that its an important issue, yet one that no world leader is going to consider seriously until its too late.
    serious considerations by a gumby follower in a play cast in clay!?hehe!!just askin.....

This months Smithsonian has a VERY interesting article on population that might be of interst to you.
    MM

SO!?i have to ask this!?what is the THREAT(now,and later!?)of this RUNAWAY overpopulation FARCE!?no land,no housing,no jobs=TERRORISM!?hehe!!now who's FAULT would that be!?and WHY!?..hehe!!just askin.....

Johnny Angel Guest

whatever it is, it could do with being reduced by 1 - namely lexx

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Angel
    whatever it is, it could do with being reduced by 1 - namely lexx
    and the angel that goes with me makes 2!?any more VOLUNTEERS!?...NO!?...OK!!then......time will tell!?.......hehe!!just askin....

Quote Originally Posted by kazza

sorry in advance!?but i can reduce your diatribe down to this!?be a terrorist!?or live the lavish life!?(degrees!?)hehe!!just askin....are you!?....

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag
    Here is a subject that I have been interested in for years. Ever since I was a small child I recognised the adverse effects of overpopulation.

In countries like China, the main rivers are so polluted that accidently falling in can be fatal. Even if you do get out right away and never get any into your mouth or eyes. The toxins are thick enough to kill you by absorbing through your skin. This is just death do to high population density.

I always argues with my social studies teacher that the earth could not continue to sustain high populations. The globe is warming at an alarming rate causeing massive weather disturbances and melting icecaps. See Mount Kilimanjaru (sp) Its ice caps are about to finish melting. Hurricanes off the south east coast of USA have been growing in power and frequency in a linear relation to global temperature.

Read a book called Snowball earth. It mentions how many top scientists speculate that the earth could have fluctuated from being totally covered with ice to being superheated with greenhouse gasses. Only the production of oxygen and ozone broke this cycle of extremes and gave us a temperate world. The point I want to extract from this book is the mathematical models that show exagerated greenhouse gasses could power superhuricanes. Infact the warmer the world gets, the stronger the hurricanes can become. It is provent that the hurricanes do filter these same gasses out of the atmosphere as well. They work as a check to the balance of gas.

As far as I can find, all I see are more and more evidence that there are just too many people on this planet. From destroying rainforests to feed the starving to closing boarders to immigrants to keep the overpopulation out, proof is around every corner.

I don't think there is any question about how many people the world can hold, but the question arises what we can do about it.

Several asian cultures have adopted the idea of one child per family, mostly unsuccessfully. Many of their children are killed at or before birth so that they can ensure having a male heir. Many others are abandoned at adoption centers to be sent overseas.

Many science fiction novels have had ideas such as serilizing everyone at birth and reversing the process for those who have been shown to have no genetic diseases. Almost all of these novels show how this meathon is being abused. Is this really a bad idea if managed correctly? We could eliminate some terrible diseases such as AIDS, cerebral palsey, epilepsy etc. At the same time we could easily reduce the world population to exact 1 billion or so - whatever can be maintained without further destruction of natural

Other novels suggest alternatives such as killing children at or before birth if they have these genetic abnormalities. This can have really scarey implications because who knows what could be considered genetically inferior. This starts to look like the plan that one Adolf Hitler had. Only blond hair, blue eyes kids are allowed.... We must not allow ourselves to progress to that level.

What options do we have? As the world pop approaces 7 billion people, it will soon get very crouded, even in seeminly vast, barren areas. Have you ever seen a town in all of north america that hasn't had to expand it boards or make huge new housing projects?

butt, you have to REALIZE!?land area is NOT the problem!?housing is NOT the problem!?construction is NOT the problem!?food is NOT the problem!?in fact NOTHING is a PROBLEM!?......BUTT......PEOPLE!?and NOT those that are born!?....but those who are RAISED to beleive in the LACK of the SPACE,TIME,WILL,and HELP of a NEIGHBOR as a GOOD SAMARITIN!?i MEAN!?what is the PROBLEM with the SHOW!?EXTREME HOME MAKEOVER!?as a WAY of LIFE!?for ALL AMERICANS!?and greater things than these will ye do!?hehe!!....just askin....

What was that lexx? I couldn't hear you.

I think you tried to say something but all I could see was "User is ignored"

Okay folks, let's really think about this....

How do you reduce the population of the earth without destroying currently living human beings? How do you suppose to do that?

I have some ideas... On this issue I am a little two sided. One side says this isn't an issue. People will die all on their own in 50 to 100 years. We only have to stop them from making new kids.

The other side says there has to be a way to be a little more choosy in who we decide to share our world with.

I think we could probably cut our populaton in half by getting rid of some obvious choices - people who REALLY REALLY dont want to live in agonizing pain, but we force them to live and connect them to million-dollar-a-year machinery to make sure they feel every bit of the pain. We could and should let these people die and have their peace. We do it for our pets, why not others?

How about violent sex offenders? Swift capital punishment for the most obcene crimes would do a lot to straighten out many people and rid us of many others.

How about other people who drain society with no other rewards like the severely mentally feeble. If you will never have the intellect to learn how to walk then the world could probably do just fine without you. There are people with working arms and legs but not enough intelligence to walk or talk. They live to be rich old lives sucking millions of dollars from health care that collectively could innoculate the entire third world from polio.

Then I would move onto those with terminal genetic diseases. No - dont kill them. They didn't anything wrong, just keep them from procreating. There are plenty of kids up for adoption if they want to be a mommy or daddy.

Right now "living human organic matter" is considered the most precious comodity. I'm sorry but it isn't in the least bit scarce. We could do with throwinging out a moldy batch here or there.

I have some ideas... On this issue I am a little two sided. One side says this isn't an issue. People will die all on their own in 50 to 100 years. We only have to stop them from making new kids.

The other side says there has to be a way to be a little more choosy in who we decide to share our world with.

I think we could probably cut our populaton in half by getting rid of some obvious choices - people who REALLY REALLY dont want to live in agonizing pain, but we force them to live and connect them to million-dollar-a-year machinery to make sure they feel every bit of the pain. We could and should let these people die and have their peace. We do it for our pets, why not others?

How about violent sex offenders? Swift capital punishment for the most obcene crimes would do a lot to straighten out many people and rid us of many others.

How about other people who drain society with no other rewards like the severely mentally feeble. If you will never have the intellect to learn how to walk then the world could probably do just fine without you. There are people with working arms and legs but not enough intelligence to walk or talk. They live to be rich old lives sucking millions of dollars from health care that collectively could innoculate the entire third world from polio.

Then I would move onto those with terminal genetic diseases. No - dont kill them. They didn't anything wrong, just keep them from procreating. There are plenty of kids up for adoption if they want to be a mommy or daddy.

Right now "living human organic matter" is considered the most precious comodity. I'm sorry but it isn't in the least bit scarce. We could do with throwinging out a moldy batch here or there.
    Really curious, and I'd like to ask you, Mr. Jag, are you a member of the elite in your country?

so what you are saying is that FASCISM WORKS?!and it is a NATURAL way for emotional(LOST!?) mankind!?and of course,you have now added THOUGHT to the equation!?and i might add that i am glad you cant see my posts!?hehe!!that way i/we get to see you spill your guts!?!?sorta a godlike wish for self immortality!?hehe!!WITHOUT the added benefit of my observations!?to hinder the process!?hehe!!just askin.....

Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Really curious, and I'd like to ask you, Mr. Jag, are you a member of the elite in your country?
    LOL no. In fact I would volunteer to be one who doesn't make the cut if I thought it would lead to a better world.

No I am far from elite. I'm hardly even middle class.

LOL no. In fact I would volunteer to be one who doesn't make the cut if I thought it would lead to a better world.

No I am far from elite. I'm hardly even middle class.
    So, lets say that you DON'T believe there's a better world - so, you believe in the survival of...you would NOT be willing to make the cut?

Where do you live, I mean what city/town?