+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 16 of 31

Thread: Mermaids.

  1. #1
    Lord_jag's Avatar
    Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,796

    Mermaids.

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...347819,00.html


    hey, How does this fit into the whole evolution issue? One in 70,000 children have Little mermaid disorder. If this girl lives, and mates with another with the same disorder, could we actually start having real mermaids?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    26,313

    Re: Mermaids.

    your a SICKO!?hehe!!but thanks for postin!?hehe!!and guess what!!YOU WONT SEE MY POST!?but it does AT least raise a question!?what is the ORIGIN of the IDEA/FANTASY of the MERMAID?!hehe!!just askin....
    Last edited by lexx; 09-09-2006 at 09:10 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Mermaids.

    The mermaid disorder is just called that, it isn't actually anything to do with mermaids. Mermaids are mythical creatures who are half fish and half woman, not people whose legs didn't separate properly in the womb.

  4. #4
    Lord_jag's Avatar
    Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Mermaids.

    Yes, but it looks like it is a genetic disorder. Do you think this could be an example of a random mutation? Could this be evolution at work?

    Let's say that this girl does survive and that we get good at making these surgeries. Isn't it possible that we are interfering with evolution? In all likelyhood this girl should have died. This genetic strain would be destroyed no matter how many times it trys to happen. People cannot survive with their legs fused together.

    Now if, for example, we had to go live in the oceans for whatever reason, this tail-thing might come in useful. A couple thousand mutation later and we might just evolve to exist in the sea again.

    Isn't evolution basically random mutation? If this freak-child had real advantages in the world by having a tail instead of legs, she could better compete for resources and survive longer. 1 in 70K people means there should be hundreds born like this every day. (do the math on 6 billion people, average lifespan 70 years. if everyone lived to average, how many born/die every day)

    If she doesn't die and meets another with this genetic mutation, they could be the adam and eve of a new species that is a close relative of humans.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Mermaids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag
    Yes, but it looks like it is a genetic disorder. Do you think this could be an example of a random mutation? Could this be evolution at work?

    Let's say that this girl does survive and that we get good at making these surgeries. Isn't it possible that we are interfering with evolution? In all likelyhood this girl should have died. This genetic strain would be destroyed no matter how many times it trys to happen. People cannot survive with their legs fused together.

    Now if, for example, we had to go live in the oceans for whatever reason, this tail-thing might come in useful. A couple thousand mutation later and we might just evolve to exist in the sea again.

    Isn't evolution basically random mutation? If this freak-child had real advantages in the world by having a tail instead of legs, she could better compete for resources and survive longer. 1 in 70K people means there should be hundreds born like this every day. (do the math on 6 billion people, average lifespan 70 years. if everyone lived to average, how many born/die every day)

    If she doesn't die and meets another with this genetic mutation, they could be the adam and eve of a new species that is a close relative of humans.
    I still don't see why someone whose legs didn't separate fully would be more adapted to the water.
    But yes evolution is just random mutations and I share your opinion that in saving these people it interferes with the process of evolution. We've often had the discussion here that mankind won't evolve any further, and aegist wrote about it on his blog recently

  6. #6
    Lord_jag's Avatar
    Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Mermaids.

    Oh I saw a special on the "Daily Planet" which a science show that showed how humans can get much greater force when swimming if they attach a plastic tail over their legs that hold them together and swim by moving your legs up and down at the same time compared to kicking you legs back and forth the way the most of us do.

    I assumed nature could make a tail-fin much better than we could.

    Lexx Mode on>

    Blah blah blah hehe... jus askin...

    Killing Lexx mode>

    :)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Mermaids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag
    Oh I saw a special on the "Daily Planet" which a science show that showed how humans can get much greater force when swimming if they attach a plastic tail over their legs that hold them together and swim by moving your legs up and down at the same time compared to kicking you legs back and forth the way the most of us do.

    I assumed nature could make a tail-fin much better than we could.

    Lexx Mode on>

    Blah blah blah hehe... jus askin...

    Killing Lexx mode>

    :)
    Well sure but being a better swimmer doesn't mean you're better adapted to live in the water, there are fish that suck at swimming, and plenty of things in the ocean that don't even swim at all.
    Anyway I take your point, that hypothetically if humans were more likely to survive if they were faster swimmers then the mermaid condition would be benificial and would become a common occurrance.
    As you've observed, though, everyone who reads this forum lives in a society where they're just as likely to survive no matter what genetic variation they have and therefore directional evolution no longer exists for humans (in large-scale societies, there may still be some in tribes, but mostly their cultures are similar in that they support their "weak")

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    26,313

    Re: Mermaids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag
    Yes, but it looks like it is a genetic disorder. Do you think this could be an example of a random mutation? Could this be evolution at work?

    Let's say that this girl does survive and that we get good at making these surgeries. Isn't it possible that we are interfering with evolution? In all likelyhood this girl should have died. This genetic strain would be destroyed no matter how many times it trys to happen. People cannot survive with their legs fused together.

    Now if, for example, we had to go live in the oceans for whatever reason, this tail-thing might come in useful. A couple thousand mutation later and we might just evolve to exist in the sea again.

    Isn't evolution basically random mutation? If this freak-child had real advantages in the world by having a tail instead of legs, she could better compete for resources and survive longer. 1 in 70K people means there should be hundreds born like this every day. (do the math on 6 billion people, average lifespan 70 years. if everyone lived to average, how many born/die every day)

    If she doesn't die and meets another with this genetic mutation, they could be the adam and eve of a new species that is a close relative of humans.

    actually,i can see where your going with this!?(for 1 tiny second,i got excited about it!?)but while it could be intriguing in an egotistical way!?it really needs much more HELP than just the fact that the legs are not separated!?i mean thalidamide babies had lots of weird mutations too!?but if your proposing an INTENTIONAL breeding by men to achieve a NEW FORM of man!?who SWIMS FREE with the dolphins!?then.....BETTER DO IT QUIETLY!?hehe!!just askin...
    Last edited by lexx; 09-12-2006 at 06:55 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    1,167

    Re: Mermaids.

    Yeah, this is jsut another example of the undirected creation of variation in our species.

    Quote from Origin Of The Species, last paragraph, chapter two:
    "We have, also, seen that it is the most flourishing and dominant species of the larger genera which on an average vary most; and varieties, as we shall hereafter see, tend to become converted into new and distinct species. The larger genera thus tend to become larger; and throughout nature the forms of life which are now dominant tend to become still more dominant by leaving many modified and dominant descendants. But by steps hereafter to be explained, the larger genera also tend to break up into smaller genera. And thus, the forms of life throughout the universe become divided into groups subordinate to groups."

    Humans are one of the dominant species of the earth (cockroaches would be another i guess) and as such we are the most various and in turn too divide into species. but only when forced.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,015

    Re: Mermaids.

    Can we say birth defect? If we say that we are blocking evolution by fixing this, what about club feet, cleft lip, etc. Oh and what about conjoined twins?

    This is a rare birth defect and I seriously doubt it's evolution at work. Maybe if we started spending most of our time in the water, yeah, but we're not. And doesn't evolution happen slowly? That would be more akin to changes slowly showing up like webbed feet or legs being joined higher up over time.

  11. #11
    Lord_jag's Avatar
    Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,796

    Re: Mermaids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Button
    Can we say birth defect? If we say that we are blocking evolution by fixing this, what about club feet, cleft lip, etc. Oh and what about conjoined twins?

    This is a rare birth defect and I seriously doubt it's evolution at work. Maybe if we started spending most of our time in the water, yeah, but we're not. And doesn't evolution happen slowly? That would be more akin to changes slowly showing up like webbed feet or legs being joined higher up over time.
    Ah but that't just the thing. This is genetic. So are tendencies for cleft lip etc.

    In nature these genetic abmormalities are ended because people with these abnormalities usually die. Survival of the fittest. People who have these defects are less suited to survive.

    If it is genetic then fixing it doesnt fix their genes any more than amputating someones arm means their kids won't have arms.
    1 in 70,000 isn't rare... that mean in USA there are over 4,000 mermaids. Those this is the first to survive.

  12. #12
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: Mermaids.

    Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    The mermaid disorder is just called that, it isn't actually anything to do with mermaids. Mermaids are mythical creatures who are half fish and half woman, not people whose legs didn't separate properly in the womb.
    take it from the ex-spirt... nothing further needs to be said. :rolleyes:
    Will pee on your fire too! :D

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    26,313

    Re: Mermaids.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_jag
    Ah but that't just the thing. This is genetic. So are tendencies for cleft lip etc.

    In nature these genetic abmormalities are ended because people with these abnormalities usually die. Survival of the fittest. People who have these defects are less suited to survive.

    If it is genetic then fixing it doesnt fix their genes any more than amputating someones arm means their kids won't have arms.
    1 in 70,000 isn't rare... that mean in USA there are over 4,000 mermaids. Those this is the first to survive.
    so why dont we HEAR about it EVERYOTHER WEEK!?what do numbers have to do WITH REALITY!?hehe!!QUIT FISHIN in the POND of PUT together REASON!?and i will too!?hehe!!just askin......

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Mermaids.

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    take it from the ex-spirt... nothing further needs to be said. :rolleyes:
    Will pee on your fire too! :D
    Haha hey I'm not that harsh! I was just pointing it out. I've always thought mermaidism was a stupid name for the condition, it's not very well suited and is very misleading.

  15. #15
    coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,392

    Re: Mermaids.

    I know... I agree. This is off-topic, but how's the web designing going? :)

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,736

    Re: Mermaids.

    Quote Originally Posted by coontie
    I know... I agree. This is off-topic, but how's the web designing going? :)
    It's going great! In fact at the moment RSD is handling the re-design of Aegist's websites, Sure Bet Bookies and Sports Arbitrage Guide, including designing a new, huge database to access from the site which will show results that are completely customizable, showing you only the info you want and none that you don't, and allowing you to compare anything at all. It's pretty exciting.
    Also I've been working with a permanent client of RSD's, MGShareware, on the integrated website for the upcoming release of their new program FreeRIP 3. It looks like it'll be an even better program than the previous one, which is saying a lot :)
    There are also many other works on the way, some of which will revolutionize certain aspects of the web and even more exciting is one which revolutionizes offline study for tertiary students and professionals. So yeah it's going very well :D

Tags for this Thread

Add / Edit Tags
000, access, actions, add, advantages, africa, age, ages, ags, ain, allowing, another, appears, arms, army, article, asy, babies, basically, bet, billion, blocking, blog, books, break, bunch, buried, button, called, case, caused, cer, child, chris, close, club, code, comments, completely, condi, continue, copies, couple, dan, dark, day, dead, deserve, destroyed, dish, display, documentation, doesn, dolphins, don, dont, dow, ear, ended, evening, explained, extended, fee, female, force, forum, fully, girl, ground, groups, head, hey, higher, hold, html, huge, huma, humans, ill, images, imagine, india, info, ion, isn, john, joined, kicking, killed, kind, large, leaving, lifespan, line, links, live, lived, long, longer, los, lot, making, male, mankind, mass, mea, mental, mentally, mode, moment, mystery, named, nature, needed, networks, nice, numbers, ocean, opinion, oral, page, passed, people, plane, planet, plants, plastic, point, pos, power, predators, process, protect, question, quit, raise, random, rare, raw, real, reality, reason, recently, recovered, release, results, retarded, rock, rome, roy, scale, science, separate, serve, share, show, showed, site, small, source, spend, star, start, stated, students, stupid, suck, support, system, test, text, thought, thousand, thread, threatened, threatening, tie, times, title, track, tradition, twins, universe, upcoming, updates, url, usa, user, wars, water, weak, weird, wins, woma, woman, won, wont, work, working, world, wrote, year, years

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •