+ Reply to Thread

Religion Gone Bad: The Hidden Dangers of the Christian Right

Available September 7, 2006!
    The bestselling author of Stranger at the Gate provides an inside exposé of the Christian Right's agenda-and a playbook in how to resist it.

This Fall's midterm elections will see much discussion about the enhanced power of the Christian fundamentalist Right, leaving many people to wonder: just who are these people and what exactly do they want? What are their ultimate goals? The Reverend Mel White, a deeply religious man who sees fundamentalism as "evangelical Christian orthodoxy gone cultic," believes that it is not a stretch to say that the true goal of today's fundamentalists is to break down the wall that separates church and state, superimpose their "moral values" on the U.S. Constitution, replace democracy with theocratic rule, and ultimately create a new "Christian America" in their image. White's new book, Religion Gone Bad, is a wake-up call to all of us to take heed.

White is singularly qualified to write this exposé of the Christian Right because he himself was a true believer who served the evangelical movement as pastor, professor, filmmaker, television producer, author, and ghostwriter for such fundamentalist leaders as Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, and Billy Graham, all of whom he got to know well. As he writes, "These are not just Neocons dressed in religious drag. These men see themselves as gurus called by God to rescue America from unrighteousness. They believe this is a Christian nation that must be returned forcibly to its Christian roots."

He is also a gay man, who made news when he came out more than twelve years ago. White has gained a unique understanding of the fundamentalist agenda because, since the fall of "godless Communism," homosexuality and abortion have become the primary targets through which fundamentalists have created fear, raised money, and mobilized recruits. Religion Gone Bad documents the thirty-year war that fundamentalist Christians have waged against homosexuality and gays and lesbians and offers dramatic, heartbreaking evidence that fundamentalist leaders-Protestant and Catholic alike-are waging nothing less than a "holy war" (jihad) against sexual minorities. By focusing on the current plight of gay people in this country, White addresses the wider issue that fundamentalist Christianity-like fundamentalist Islam-has become a threat not just to gays, but to all Americans who disagree with fundamentalist Christian "values."

http://www.religiongonebad.com/

Re: Religion Gone Bad: The Hidden Dangers of the Christian Right

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster

Available September 7, 2006!
    The bestselling author of Stranger at the Gate provides an inside exposé of the Christian Right's agenda-and a playbook in how to resist it.

This Fall's midterm elections will see much discussion about the enhanced power of the Christian fundamentalist Right, leaving many people to wonder: just who are these people and what exactly do they want? What are their ultimate goals? The Reverend Mel White, a deeply religious man who sees fundamentalism as "evangelical Christian orthodoxy gone cultic," believes that it is not a stretch to say that the true goal of today's fundamentalists is to break down the wall that separates church and state, superimpose their "moral values" on the U.S. Constitution, replace democracy with theocratic rule, and ultimately create a new "Christian America" in their image. White's new book, Religion Gone Bad, is a wake-up call to all of us to take heed.

White is singularly qualified to write this exposé of the Christian Right because he himself was a true believer who served the evangelical movement as pastor, professor, filmmaker, television producer, author, and ghostwriter for such fundamentalist leaders as Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, and Billy Graham, all of whom he got to know well. As he writes, "These are not just Neocons dressed in religious drag. These men see themselves as gurus called by God to rescue America from unrighteousness. They believe this is a Christian nation that must be returned forcibly to its Christian roots."

He is also a gay man, who made news when he came out more than twelve years ago. White has gained a unique understanding of the fundamentalist agenda because, since the fall of "godless Communism," homosexuality and abortion have become the primary targets through which fundamentalists have created fear, raised money, and mobilized recruits. Religion Gone Bad documents the thirty-year war that fundamentalist Christians have waged against homosexuality and gays and lesbians and offers dramatic, heartbreaking evidence that fundamentalist leaders-Protestant and Catholic alike-are waging nothing less than a "holy war" (jihad) against sexual minorities. By focusing on the current plight of gay people in this country, White addresses the wider issue that fundamentalist Christianity-like fundamentalist Islam-has become a threat not just to gays, but to all Americans who disagree with fundamentalist Christian "values."

http://www.religiongonebad.com/
    Actually, you're incorrect. Perhaps Evangelicals and New-Evangelicals, these could be as you described (concerning the government part).

Fundamentalists aren't concerned about "toppling the government." Hardly.
    Why? Because:
    "Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God.
    THEREFORE whoever resists authority has opposed the ordinance of God; and they who have opposed will receive condemnation upon themselves."
    Romans 13:1-2

Some Christian denominations might picket outside an abortion clinic. Not so Fundamentalists: we'll make arrangements as we can for those women who choose to keep their baby.
    During Paul's time, abortion perhaps as high as 50%; abortion was a big thing back then. This wasn't his focus, though; his focus was the gospel of Jesus Christ. Why?
    Because once a woman has become enlightenment after trusting in Christ, once she's received spiritual life by the Holy Spirit, she'll change her mind about abortion. I've seen that before.

Now concerning those who are homosexual. We're pretty tolerant (patient, long suffering, putting up with), up to a point. I've known a number of homosexual men over the years, most were friendly, a few were extremely mean, with no conscience in physically hurting people.
    Most homosexuals, as a generality, pretty much keep to themselves. Interestingly, it's the smaller, more radical groups that we contend with.
    The things we battle with include "You'd better let Johnny read THAT book in public school." Or "You'd BETTER sell us those wedding dresses (to two lesbians) or we'll sue you!" Or "You'd better stop your preaching concerning us IN PRIVATE ASSEMBLIES, or else!"
    Radical homosexuals aren't tolerant of Bible-believing Christians.
    We don't sue them, they're suing us. But we're winning in court.

Now let me ask you, since you had said before that you're a Christian:

Quote Originally Posted by Phinnly Slash Buster
    Everyknee,
    Before you get all wrapped in this ‘what Christians believe’ BS
    LET’S UNDERSTAND SOMETHING.
    Reality.
    MOST CHRISTIANS ARE NOT FUNDY’S
    Most Christians like myself believe creationist dogma [not theory] is complete crap.
    A very small percentage of Christians and a shrinking number at that believe in ID and the young earth dogma.
    When writing your rants I would advise you chose wording that is more truthful.
    You POW is only shared by a very small number of Christians.
    Here are my questions:
    (1) Do you believe Jesus is Jehovah?
    (2) Do you believe that Adam & Eve had sinned in the garden, and now we're all sinners that needs to be saved?
    (3) Do you believe Jesus died for your sins and rose from the grave on the third day?

You said you were a Christian. How was it, then, did you become justified by the Lord, having a right standing with God, declared righteous in His sight?

How was it did you have come to Christ?

SO!!i guess your own RESPECTED thread PROVIDED no ANSWERS so you opened a NEW 1 to ASK SAME!?hehe!!and so it comes down to the TOOTH about that!?hehe!!on the 1 hand you have the "BELEIVERS" while on the other hand you have the "BELEIVERS"!?hehe!!now it SEEMS that there is a DISCREPANCY of MEANS/terms/reality!?hehe!!for 1 claims to followers while the other claims to be INDEPENDENCE!?and while both are PROUD in their WAYS,ONLY 1 can RULE!?but BOTH seek the SAME GROUNDS!?OR NOT!?and what is that!?hehe!!just askin....

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    SO!!i guess your own RESPECTED thread PROVIDED no ANSWERS so you opened a NEW 1 to ASK SAME!?hehe!!and so it comes down to the TOOTH about that!?hehe!!on the 1 hand you have the "BELEIVERS" while on the other hand you have the "BELEIVERS"!?hehe!!now it SEEMS that there is a DISCREPANCY of MEANS/terms/reality!?hehe!!for 1 claims to followers while the other claims to be INDEPENDENCE!?and while both are PROUD in their WAYS,ONLY 1 can RULE!?but BOTH seek the SAME GROUNDS!?OR NOT!?and what is that!?hehe!!just askin....
    Are you talking to Phinn? I presume that's what you're doing..

Quote Originally Posted by EveryKnee
    Are you talking to Phinn? I presume that's what you're doing..
    ears and fears and cheers and the like!?for if you had a clue!?you also had a reply!?so if a question is your faith!?then why do you ask another!?hehe!!not that i am implying your LAXX but am implying your HOPE in that ALL are the BODY of christ whether you ACKNOWLEDGE them or NOT!?hehe!!just askin....

I've read books by extreme left thinkers and extreme right.
    Personally, I've come to the conclusion that they are both pretty far out there.
    The good thing is that often, they sort of cancel each other out and we build compromise somewhere in the middle.
    The bad thing is that most leftists are too willing to compromise and aren't speaking out enough. They have a pacifist mindset of live and let live that effects the outcomes of crucial decisions on state and national levels.

By far and large, the Christian Right is winning and this country is headed for a fall.
    Too many out there wanting to set the stage for armageddon and the end of the world.
    This is something that Christians and Muslims have in common.

Quote Originally Posted by bibleman
    I've read books by extreme left thinkers and extreme right.
    Personally, I've come to the conclusion that they are both pretty far out there.
    The good thing is that often, they sort of cancel each other out and we build compromise somewhere in the middle.
    The bad thing is that most leftists are too willing to compromise and aren't speaking out enough. They have a pacifist mindset of live and let live that effects the outcomes of crucial decisions on state and national levels.

By far and large, the Christian Right is winning and this country is headed for a fall.
    Too many out there wanting to set the stage for armageddon and the end of the world.
    This is something that Christians and Muslims have in common.
    Definitely not following you. Are you yourself a Bible-believing Christian? If not, could you explain your avatar?
    Perhaps the title 'bibleman' was meant as a joke.

And about setting the stage for Armageddon (by 'Christians') could you give an example?

Definitely not following you. Are you yourself a Bible-believing Christian? If not, could you explain your avatar?
    Perhaps the title 'bibleman' was meant as a joke.

And about setting the stage for Armageddon (by 'Christians') could you give an example?
    :) Yes, meant as a "joke" I suppose...though I kind of forget the point of it...

Reconstructionism:
    Christian Reconstructionism is a highly controversial religious and theological movement within Protestant Christianity. It calls for Christians to put their faith into action in all areas of life including civil government, and envisions, among other things, the private and civil enforcement of the general principles of Old Testament and New Testament moral law, including those expounded in the case laws and summarized in the Old Testament Decalogue...
    Short snippit from the wikipedia...for further reading about them and their involvement in politics and government, do a google.

:) Yes, meant as a "joke" I suppose...though I kind of forget the point of it...

Reconstructionism:
    Christian Reconstructionism is a highly controversial religious and theological movement within Protestant Christianity. It calls for Christians to put their faith into action in all areas of life including civil government, and envisions, among other things, the private and civil enforcement of the general principles of Old Testament and New Testament moral law, including those expounded in the case laws and summarized in the Old Testament Decalogue...
    Short snippit from the wikipedia...for further reading about them and their involvement in politics and government, do a google.

Uh, okay. So what does Christian Reconstructionism have to do with Armageddon?

WHAT!?god did NOT reveal this to you!?did you ask!?hehe!!

Do your own searching...I've been reading many books and articles that say this...though mine is admittedly a biased view.

Do your own searching...I've been reading many books and articles that say this...though mine is admittedly a biased view.
    Armaggedon has to do with the plains of Megiddo, as in Ezekiel 38/39. How these articles tie in 'Christian Reconstructionism' would probably be an interesting read - thanks anyway.

Armaggedon has to do with the plains of Megiddo, as in Ezekiel 38/39. How these articles tie in 'Christian Reconstructionism' would probably be an interesting read - thanks anyway.
    my curiosty of the word meggido caused me to spend a much interesting learning session on jewish history and it's mystery elements and doctrines!?hehe!!...thanks!!....