+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Real Secret of Success in Business

The Real Secret of Success in Business
    by Ridgely Goldsborough in Upline magazine

As a businessman, I've founded a number of companies. Some succeeded and some did not. But after going through the process over the years, I've noticed that the harsh reality is that it doesn't matter how hard, or even how smart, you work if you're in the wrong business vehicle.

So, what is the right vehicle--what is the secret of success in business?

To be successful in business, you need an edge, a real competitive advantage. And the biggest competitive advantage is leverage.

Leverage is a position of advantage that allows you to accomplish your purpose with less effort, greater results-or both. Leverage is the best way to get the job done. Yet what do most of us do in our business lives?

Go to school. Get a degree. Create a resume and pass it around.

Even professionals-lawyers, doctors and accountants-interview, get hired and begin the process of exchanging units of time: i.e. , hours for units of money (hourly fees). The problem is, there aren't enough units of time that can be exchanged for units of money to create real wealth.

Where is the leverage?

The majority does even worse. You exchange even larger units of time for smaller units of money. And then go back and do it again year after year for a 5 percent raise (if you're lucky).

There is no way to attain wealth by trading time for money.

Why not? No leverage. Who has leverage? Business owners. Why? Business owners have something that the rest of us don't have: employees.

Now, let's suppose you own a business and I work for you. You work eight hours a day and I work eight hours, too. But you get paid on 16 hours! You take my productivity as your own income, and you give a salary that is less.

That's leverage.

Therefore the more employee you have the more leverage you have.

True, but there is a problem. No employee will work as hard as you will for your business.

Think about any employee you know:

Does he ever take extra long lunches? Ever kick her feet up on the desk and make long distance phone calls when the boss is gone? Ever go to the supply cabinet for a pen, realize that he was the only one in the office and walk away with a stash of pads, Post-its, pens, pencils, paper clips and anything else he could carry?

Sure everybody does it. Why? It's not their business. They don't care. Why should they? They're all working for less than they're worth!

Here's the truth about leverage: To create true leverage, you have to create a situation in which everyone has the same amount to gain - a win-win.

More powerful than the employer-employee relationship is the scenario where you hire people and pay them for their performance. This great idea applies to any commission-based position.

Produce a result and you get money. NO result, no money. This is even better than leverage right?

Look at this example. Your are a real estate broker. I come to work for you as an agent. You only pay me if I sell houses, no matter how hard I work.

You leverage you income off my efforts and its costs you nothing. And you can hire multiple agents and leverage yourself off all their efforts as well. Your income is limited only by the number of agents that you hire and train.

Now, that's great leverage!

You train me, I work hard. I sell my first house. Excited and proud, I come to your office to pick up my check. Because you are the broker, you have already deducted your 50% of the commission. You congratulate me and give me the other half.

Over the next couple of years, I sell lots of houses. I learn all of your techniques, because it's your job to teach them to me. You make lots of money from my sales.

But… One night, I sit bolt upright in my bed with an amazing realization: HALF.

I know everything you know. I work harder than you. In fact, I do all the work, yet every time I sell a house, you take HALF my money!

This no longer works for me.

So what do I do? I go out and get my broker's license. Set up my own shop. Where? Right across the street from you!

You lose two ways: You lose your top producer and you lose a whole bunch of clients that I take with me.

But you do gain one thing: You gain a new number one competitor, because I know everything that you know.

Happens all the time. You train your competition. After they finish milking every ounce of knowledge from your brain, they leave and set up shop down the block with your customers and prospects!

In other words, leverage can be limited.

But remember, in order to create true leverage, you have to create a situation in which everyone has the same amount to gain.

What if there was a way that you could help me get into a business for myself, so that I could have the same chances for success that you have, without ever leaving the umbrella of your business?

What if I could go out and get myself a bunch of other business owners and leverage myself off their time, just as you did with me, and you get to keep a little piece of the action for setting me up, just like I get a little for setting all of them up?

You have a huge vested interest in my success--in all of our success.

You want me to become a business owner just like you. It looks like this.

Now, my success is your success. Every time I make a sale, you still benefit. If I want to, I can go out and build a business bigger than yours, with even more business owners. Are you upset? Noooo. You're smiling all the way to the bank.

Now, I have the same amount to gain as you do. Both you and I can go out and create as many new business owners as we want. It's a real win-win situation. And… This is True Leverage.

And what business vehicle has such true leverage? Only one I know of: Network Marketing. Network Marketing is the only industry on the planet that provides true leverage to anyone--young or old, rich or poor, regardless of education, gender, geographic location, professional background, past success or failure. In Network Marketing, everybody wins. That's why 50,000 people a week are joining the business in the United States alone. Worldwide sales volumes are growing at more than 10 percent a year.

This is a staggering growth! A $100 billion dollar global industry! Impossible to argue with!

In the early ‘60s, franchising was frowned upon and almost legislated out of existence. Now, it's a common and accepted form of business. In the next five years or less, Network Marketing will come of age as well. The only question is, who's going to benefit from it?

Can you imagine being the guy or gal who bought the McDonald's franchise for your town 15 years ago? Where would you be today?

As you consider your future, make sure you do your homework before drawing any conclusions. Network Marketing may or may not be for you, but it is absolutely THE way of the future.

Why am I so sure? Because Network Marketing has the real secret of business success....true leverage. And you can bank on that.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

James R is offline I'm no crook...my upline told me to do it! User Rank

Re: The Real Secret of Success in Business

Failure is Good!
    I stopped reading that crap after the first line.

See how these clowns use reverse psychology to set these guys up in the very first line?

If you start out telling them they should fail, that's just extra motivation for them to stay in longer because failure is good.

Simply amazing!
    Excited about Nopalea Cactus Juice? Learn how to make your own for FREE!
    Don't be another "$50 a bottle" sucker....best of all you know exaclty what's in it. Click HERE.

Here's a good one....
    "That's why I changed my 'story'".
    Where else can you find this nonsense besides here?

Ummmm......

The real secret of success in business is net profits.

The one thing that MLMers hate to be asked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Once Upon a Time View Post
    Ummmm......

The real secret of success in business is net profits.

The one thing that MLMers hate to be asked about.

Leverage............
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

WARNING:You guys are shining too brightly for this dark corner of the net.

BEWARE...

The dark force of the scambusting CAWIT's is rumbling angrily in it's lair...the festering is about to POP & boil over....
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    As a businessman, I've founded a number of companies. Some succeeded and some did not. But after going through the process over the years, I've noticed that the harsh reality is that it doesn't matter how hard, or even how smart, you work if you're in the wrong business vehicle.
    So what the article you just posted is saying is that everything you've been saying in the last year or two is wrong.

Working hard and doing the right things doesn't mean success. It might, it might not.

Too funny.
    I'm not selling anything, so I don't need links in my signature to for-profit ventures. You really should question the intentions of those here that have them, as they are generally advertising, not informing.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
    So what the article you just posted is saying is that everything you've been saying in the last year or two is wrong.

Working hard and doing the right things doesn't mean success. It might, it might not.

Too funny.
    He's talking about MLM being the right vehicle. Join any good, stable MLM (start ups are a gamble), learn the skills and apply them consistently over time and you will be successful.

He's talking about MLM being the right vehicle. Join any good, stable MLM (start ups are a gamble), learn the skills and apply them consistently over time and you will be successful.
    Yet another point that goes right over your head.
    I'm not selling anything, so I don't need links in my signature to for-profit ventures. You really should question the intentions of those here that have them, as they are generally advertising, not informing.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinandhobbes View Post
    Yet another point that goes right over your head.
    No, it went right over your head. He's saying that learning the skills and applying them will work if you're in the right vehicle (MLM).

No, it went right over your head. He's saying that learning the skills and applying them will work if you're in the right vehicle (MLM).
    I know what he's saying. I know what you've said. I know those are different things. That's what you are missing.

IDS' have shown that this business "vehicle" is proven to crash 70-99% of the time depending on your definition of success.

Would you get in the car with these clowns? :freak3:
    __________________________________________________ ____
    MLMer admits it is ok to break family bonds and tear at its fabric in order to pursue "success." [Is this what you want from your business?]

CoolGrey: [Son concerned with is parents choice to join Amway] After one last heated argument with my mom, I have been kicked out for "being too negative" and "bringing so much negativity home" (just got home from college)

ChrisDoyle: I have to be honest I'm with your parents on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by ohein56 View Post
    I see OUT is still struggling with his learning disorder.

Same stupid questions....over an over an over an over....and OUT.
    Same guesswork, different day.

Chris Doyle, your analysis is incorrect for the following reason: In most MLM's the commission you receive on your personal sales is very small. That means you cannot conduct a profitable business of selling the product or service without recruiting. People will only get to that excitement stage of "selling their first house" if they receive a substantial commission. People need to at least realize a small profit on their personal sales before they are confident enough to try and recruit. Another problem is that MLM emphasized recruiting friends and family and asking them for money, almost like a favor. That isn't a good way to recruit good and hard working partners.

MLM's should pay the highest commissions on personal sales and reduce the overrides as the organization increases in size. Also, autoship should be optional and should have nothing to do with qualifying for commissions, and entry, monthly, and renewal fees should be minimal.

Of course the product or service has to be something that has a competitive edge in the market.

If you have a company that meets those specifications, it may be a good fit. Unfortunately, most MLM's are structured to benefit the big organization builders, which can't work in the long term if people at the bottom can't eke out a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by bsc8987 View Post
    Chris Doyle, your analysis is incorrect for the following reason: In most MLM's the commission you receive on your personal sales is very small. That means you cannot conduct a profitable business of selling the product or service without recruiting. People will only get to that excitement stage of "selling their first house" if they receive a substantial commission. People need to at least realize a small profit on their personal sales before they are confident enough to try and recruit. Another problem is that MLM emphasized recruiting friends and family and asking them for money, almost like a favor. That isn't a good way to recruit good and hard working partners.
    Firstly, the original post is not my analysis, although I agree with it 100%, it was written by a very experienced businessman (very experienced in both MLM and non-MLM business). In any MLM I have been in the largest commission rate is given to the retail sale of product and yes, you certainly can make a profit from selling product. I have done and other people I know have done and continue to do so. Can you make more money for less hours by building a downline? Of course, but who earns more money in traditional business, the one man shop, or the huge retail chains like Walmart. Building a downline is the way that companies expand in MLM, just as companies like Walmart expand. If people are asking friends and families for money, almost like a favour, then that is the fault of the people doing it, not the MLM system. Doing it is a choice, one that I dont choose to do.

MLM's should pay the highest commissions on personal sales and reduce the overrides as the organization increases in size. Also, autoship should be optional and should have nothing to do with qualifying for commissions, and entry, monthly, and renewal fees should be minimal.
    As I said above, highest commission rates are normally for retails sales of product. Autoship is optional in some companies not in others and some companies don't have autoship at all. It provides choice for prospective distributors. Likewise with entry and renewal fees.

Of course the product or service has to be something that has a competitive edge in the market.
    Agreed. I wouldnt be involved otherwise.

If you have a company that meets those specifications, it may be a good fit. Unfortunately, most MLM's are structured to benefit the big organization builders, which can't work in the long term if people at the bottom can't eke out a profit.
    Choose your company wisely. I did.

Quote Originally Posted by bsc8987 View Post

+1000!

This is what I was looking for when I originally joined this site. I had my experience in Amway, my cousin's in TrekAlliance, as well as co-workers with Teambeachbody and 5linx. In thought maybe Amway and the others were just lousy opportunities, and that an MLM like you describe would actually exist.

From what I've gathered thus far, the type of MLM you describe simply does not exist (2nd paragraph). As I've said numerous times, MLM's are not designed to provide financial freedom. They're not structured to facilitate a liveable income, and certainly not retirement. The extreme statistical outliers that do achieve this goal do so in spite of the system, not because of it. I've yet to see evidence to the contrary of my observations.

MLM, at best, can realistically provide a small side income, nothing more. Unfortunately, MLM fails to provide even this meager goal for most people.

That's what MLM boils down to - likelihood. You're not likely to generate a (net) income with MLM. You're much more likely to generate an income by working more hours or another job, investing in education, investing in a Defined Contribution retirement plan, or investing in a real business if you have the resources.

Most people don't have the resources to start a real business, so they play make-believe with MLM. Really, it's make-believe. For a couple of hunded dollars to start, Presto! You're a "business owner." Just like that. It's that easy because it's really a make-believe business. Really, what do you expect from a proposition that's as easy to make operational as a lemonade stand? The real business is the actual company, which is owned by other people. You make them rich, not the other way around. The sooner we all realize this, the sooner we can move on.
    Last edited by BoxAlarm126; 05-11-2012 at 06:11 PM.
    MLM's Mission Statement:

"The primary product is opportunity. The strongest, most powerful motivational force today is false hope."

"Almost everyone is not going to learn the skills and use them consistently over time, you would be better off joining Costco" -Dank111

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm126 View Post
    +1000!

From what I've gathered thus far, the type of MLM you describe simply does not exist.
    It does. Didn't you read my reply to that post?