+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does anybody know anything about making webpages?

I want to make a webpage for my business and I don't know how to do HTML, so I'm kind of looking for something with a site builder. I've found a couple websites with them, but I'm not sure if they're good or what.

If anybody can help me with this, please PM me and I'll let you know what websites I've found.

Someone has also suggested Dreamweaver, but I don't really feel like paying $400-1000 for a program, so I want to avoid that if I can.

Thanks!
    I do not believe that MLM/Network Marketing is a bad business model. I believe it's the shady people in MLM that make it LOOK bad. As long as you work hard, run your business ethically, and work with ethical people, then MLM can help you reach your financial goals... whether it's just to make extra money on the side or a full-time income.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with years of experience."

Pink Zebra Sprinkles

Re: Does anybody know anything about making webpages?

Quote Originally Posted by April47
    ...Someone has also suggested Dreamweaver, but I don't really feel like paying $400-1000 for a program, so I want to avoid that if I can.

Thanks!
    If you want I'll help you. I can post a link to Russian sites where you'll find any software practically (also Dreamweaver). ;) And I'll explain how to use these sites. :)

Please don't shoot the piano player, he's doing the best he can.

Author’s emoticons KOLOBOK-Style

Dreamweaver would be awesome! I've heard good things about it.

I'm creative/artistic so I want to make an awesome website... the more tools I have the better.
    I do not believe that MLM/Network Marketing is a bad business model. I believe it's the shady people in MLM that make it LOOK bad. As long as you work hard, run your business ethically, and work with ethical people, then MLM can help you reach your financial goals... whether it's just to make extra money on the side or a full-time income.

"Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with years of experience."

Pink Zebra Sprinkles

I'm creative/artistic so I want to make an awesome website... the more tools I have the better.

Dreamweaver, an awesome song sung by Gary Wright. And My Love is Alive, also sung by Gary Wright in 1975. :D Those were the days.

I want to make a webpage for my business and I don't know how to do HTML, so I'm kind of looking for something with a site builder. I've found a couple websites with them, but I'm not sure if they're good or what.

If anybody can help me with this, please PM me and I'll let you know what websites I've found.

Someone has also suggested Dreamweaver, but I don't really feel like paying $400-1000 for a program, so I want to avoid that if I can.

Thanks!
    I've tutored a few folks online before. If you'd like I can teach you how to do it. HTML isn't that difficult. My sites are located at
    http://www.blairsrescue.org/ and http://home.alltel.net/pmcody/

Funny story... a couple of years ago I interviewed for a teaching position, with our county's Adult Education program, to teach HTML. I didn't get the job because they wanted someone to teach how to use MS Front Page... not how to code HTML :D

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by BiR
    If you want I'll help you. I can post a link to Russian sites where you'll find any software practically (also Dreamweaver). And I'll explain how to use these sites.
    You left out the word 'dodgy' there Bir. I think i've been to some of those websites ;) Its handy to know your way around them :p

I thought I could give subjunk a quick plug here, since he does own a website design company (www.redskiesdesign.com) but it clearly doesn't look like you are looking to pay someone for a website

I made all of my pages myself (so far, looking at changing that soon) and I learnt from www.htmlgoodies.com They have some brilliant "primers" there which really help you to get your head around the basics.

other than that, try searching for "Free Website Templates". Even if you don't like any of them, you can use them to 1. Give you ideas and 2. Give you a starting point. I often find I learn fastest by pulling apart a finished product rather than trying to start from scratch.

Shane

Dreamweaver on medigo.ru
    http://www.medigo.ru/index.php?newsid=1128367234
    Medigo.ru - main page
    http://www.medigo.ru
    Books, soft, music, video etc.
    Possibly, for loading you'll be needed a registration on this site.
    ------------------------------
    Dreamweaver on online.msk.su
    http://online.msk.su/modules/mydownl...le.php?lid=249
    Online.msk.su - main page
    http://online.msk.su
    Books, soft, html, drivers for forums,scripts, icons etc.
    For loading you'll be needed a registration on this site.
    ------------------------------
    If you'll experience any difficulties I will help you. :)
    PS. Once, I was loading a software from Chinese site... :rolleyes: I was understanding all of the double Dutch. :D

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    I made all of my pages myself (so far, looking at changing that soon) and I learnt from www.htmlgoodies.com They have some brilliant "primers" there which really help you to get your head around the basics.

other than that, try searching for "Free Website Templates". Even if you don't like any of them, you can use them to 1. Give you ideas and 2. Give you a starting point. I often find I learn fastest by pulling apart a finished product rather than trying to start from scratch.

Shane
    I'm a beginner in web-design and I agree with you. Would be better to use website templates in this situation. :)

coontie is offline Vashudeva; Ferryman - doing the work... User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by PaulM
    I've tutored a few folks online before. If you'd like I can teach you how to do it. HTML isn't that difficult. My sites are located at
    http://www.blairsrescue.org/ and http://home.alltel.net/pmcody/

Funny story... a couple of years ago I interviewed for a teaching position, with our county's Adult Education program, to teach HTML. I didn't get the job because they wanted someone to teach how to use MS Front Page... not how to code HTML :D

Paul

In some instances the individuals in the personnel section don't have a clue

in regard to the statements being made by the individual's indicated talents

on their resume or application.

Sounds as if you was at least one better, or more, than what they needed

and they didn't have a clue! :rolleyes:
    Last edited by coontie; 08-29-2006 at 07:29 PM. Reason: sp

It was the silliest interview I had ever had. There was the County Board of Education rep. and some guy wearing a MicroSoft logo shirt. He asked me what I thought of Front Page and if I used it. I told him I didn't like it and had no interest in using it. That by the time I'd figured out how to get a desired effect with the software, it was quicker and easier for me to just type the code.
    Obviously, the county had purchased some sort of license with MicroSoft. They wanted someone to teach software use... not principles. Heaven forbid I teach people how to think. :eek:

You can try the forums over at sitepoint.com as well. Also a lot of good books there.

For good, free tools you can checkout:

NVue
    BlueVoda
    Mozilla

All of them allow you good creative control of your pages without having to know code.

Dreamweaver is an excellent sitebuilder, but is not particularly "intuitive" for a person new to sitebuilding.

Also, Publisher and Word documents can be easily saved as web pages if you want something simple and quick. Last I heard, though, the code they generate isn't very clean.

Quote Originally Posted by November66
    Dreamweaver is an excellent sitebuilder, but is not particularly "intuitive" for a person new to sitebuilding.
    I found that too. I started website building with dreamweaver, and got sick of it not doing exactly what i wanted. So i went and taught myself HTML so that I could understand WHY it didn't do what i wanted.

For instance, you cant just move pictures around the page and have them stay where you want them like in a picture editor. You have to align the picture, or if you really want it to sit somewhere, then you ahve to build tables around it to place it.

Without understanding how HTML works, you would never understand that.

If this information interesting for somebody, I have following books about Dreamweaver 8 (in English): :rolleyes:
    - Macromedia Dreamweaver 8 Certified Developer Study Guide.chm (338 kb);
    - Macromedia Flash 8 for dummies.pdf (409 pgs, 9.93 Mb);
    - Macromedia Studio 8 All In One Desk Reference For Dummies.pdf (889 pgs, 20.1 Mb).
    I can send all these files by e-mail. :)

My goodness, guys... thanks for all your help!!!

I actually have a friend who found dreamweaver 8 for me so I'm going to try my skills at that... haha. I have a LITTLE knowledge in sitebuilding and a TINY bit in HTML... but I'm a quick learner so we'll see. I want to build kind of a complex website with a whole bunch of pages (better SEO that way), so from what I've heard of dreamweaver, it'll do well at that if I can figure it out.

BiR I would love those files if you could send them to me. My email address is getfour@gmail.com.

If I can't figure out dreamweaver, then I will definitely try the other suggestions here. You guys are so helpful! Thanks again!

Pink Zebra Sprinkles

My goodness, guys... thanks for all your help!!!

I actually have a friend who found dreamweaver 8 for me so I'm going to try my skills at that... haha. I have a LITTLE knowledge in sitebuilding and a TINY bit in HTML... but I'm a quick learner so we'll see. I want to build kind of a complex website with a whole bunch of pages (better SEO that way), so from what I've heard of dreamweaver, it'll do well at that if I can figure it out.

BiR I would love those files if you could send them to me. My email address is getfour@gmail.com.

If I can't figure out dreamweaver, then I will definitely try the other suggestions here. You guys are so helpful! Thanks again!

The Eniva business will be ready to rock n roll! :D You're gonna be successful April :) Keep up the persistence.