+ Reply to Thread

Global Warming Ruining Farms In NY

Is global warming ruining crops in the upstate NY area?
    The up-and-down weather throws off Upstate N.Y.'s fruit trees, killing buds and this will cause prices to increase.

"The situation is very serious and it depends on what crop mix a grower has," Robinson said. "If it is almost all apples, the damage is something where you can still produce a commercial crop and it might be down 20 to 40 percent. But if you have a lot of other species, like cherries, peaches and apricots, the damage might be a lot more."

Seems like apples will be ok, but cherries and peaches will be hurt by the early warm then cold weather.

I've been living here a few months and one day its 82F and the next week it snowing or hailing or 37 F

Read more

Re: Global Warming Ruining Farms In NY

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    The up-and-down weather throws off Upstate N.Y.'s fruit trees, killing buds and this will cause prices to increase.

"The situation is very serious and it depends on what crop mix a grower has," Robinson said. "If it is almost all apples, the damage is something where you can still produce a commercial crop and it might be down 20 to 40 percent. But if you have a lot of other species, like cherries, peaches and apricots, the damage might be a lot more."

Seems like apples will be ok, but cherries and peaches will be hurt by the early warm then cold weather.

I've been living here a few months and one day its 82F and the next week it snowing or hailing or 37 F

Read more
    Before someone else says it.

The recent warm weather fluxuations are not due to global warming. They are from the le nina cycle and a shifted jet stream.

That being said. Global Warming didn't help the overall situation.

Welcome to New York! I have lived here my whole life (25 years) and the weather is crazy lol only in New York could it be snowing one day, and 75 the next. It has always been like that, but it does affect the farmers and their crops. If the weather isn't good then it is going to affect the local growers with their corn and such. This then will result in less product being sold, and buying locally is the best thing to do because you are helping the farmers out. I love stopping at the roadside stands buying fruit and vegetables because you can get so much for so cheap! Where else can you find a huge zucchini and only pay $0.25!?

Well I couldn't imagine gambling my whole family's livelihood on the weather of NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    The short answer is "No". Crops have good years and bad, regardless. The fact is, there is no global warming.