LIFE Senior Services is seeing a spike in reports of telemarketing scams.

"Almost every call I've been getting lately is related to that," said Cindy Loftin, senior health insurance counseling program coordinator at LIFE Senior Services.

Catherine Tatum got the first of two calls a couple of weeks ago. She had a message on her machine from someone saying they were endorsed by the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association.

Skeptical, she called the American Heart Association and was informed they did not endorse the caller.

"It disturbed me enough that I called LIFE Senior Services and the Better Business Bureau," she said. "Something didn't smell right, so I called the right people."

Last week, Tatum received a call from a woman who correctly stated her name, address and that she's on a fixed income and said that they needed to send her a new Medicare card.

"When they asked what bank I use I said 'No.' I called LIFE again and they said they've heard of that a lot," she said. "It ticks me off, that's why I didn't ignore it. Something stinks to me and you should always trust your instincts."

Loftin said that because there are so many people on Medicare, phone calls would not be made to every person stating that they are going to receive a new card.

"You would see a lot of publicity about something like that," she said.

Loftin said she's spoken with at least one woman who was taken for $500 in a medical discount card scam, however, she acted quickly enough once she realized she was scammed that her bank was able to get her money back.

"A lot of seniors are embarrassed and don't want you to know what they've done," Loftin said. "They're targeting seniors because they're more polite."

Loftin said the woman was called repeatedly by the same person, even though she is on the Do Not Call Registry.

Another scam that's being reported is one where callers are telling people they have a warrant out for their arrest for not showing up to jury duty. When the person says it's not them, the caller asks for personal information - birth date, address and Social Security number - to confirm they've called the wrong person.

Once the caller has the personal information they end the call, Loftin said.

"It's terrible people prey on the elderly," Tatum said. "People are too trusting. I'm not trusting anyone. It makes you question anyone and everyone."

Article