+ Reply to Thread

Beirut fury at 'ceasefire breach'

Lebanese PM Fouad Siniora has accused Israel of a "naked violation" of the five-day-old ceasefire, after a raid by Israeli commandos deep inside Lebanon.

The raid, in the eastern Bekaa Valley, left one Israeli dead and two injured.

Israel said it was trying to disrupt the movement of weapons from Iran and Syria to Hezbollah, and insisted the ceasefire was still intact.

The operation came hours after UN Secretary General Kofi Annan warned of a "fragile" situation on the ground.

The Israeli raid centred on the village of Bodai, west of the city of Baalbek, some 100km (60 miles) north of the Israeli border.

It is the first incident of its kind since the ceasefire came into effect.

Israeli helicopters are believed to have dropped off the commandos and two vehicles during the night.

The Israelis seem to have met more resistance than they expected, with one local fighter describing a gun battle lasting more than two hours, says the BBC's Jon Leyne at the scene.

Two helicopters landed in a cornfield and took away the soldiers, while Israeli fighter jets circled overhead, witnesses say.

There is speculation locally is that the Israelis may have been trying to capture a senior Hezbollah figure who lives in the village, our correspondent adds.

Lebanese sources earlier told Reuters agency that three militants died in the incident.

Government responses

In Beirut, the raid prompted an angry response from Mr Siniora.

"It is a naked violation of the cessation of hostilities declared by the Security Council," he told reporters.

He said a complaint had been made to visiting UN envoys about the operation.

But Israel insisted it had not breached the ceasefire.

"We had specific information of arms transfers taking place and we acted to prevent that violation, so that violation is not from the Israeli side - we were responding to a violation of the resolution by Hezbollah," said Israeli spokesman Mark Regev.

Israel has said it will continue to carry out such actions until an expanded international military force is in place to prevent Hezbollah's re-armament.

The resolution which stopped the conflict said Israel should end all offensive military action and Hezbollah should end all attacks.

Reinforcements

Meanwhile, 50 French troops arrived in the Lebanese port of Naqoura, the first soldiers to bolster the UN peacekeeping force.

They are among 200 extra troops promised by France, as the UN struggles to build its expanded force.

The UN wants 3,500 troops on the ground speedily, to be increased later to 15,000. It says it is disappointed with the French contribution and wants other European nations to offer more help too.

In a separate development, an Israeli soldier was shot dead by a Palestinian gunman in the West Bank, the army said.

The gunman was then shot dead, officials say. The incident happened at a checkpoint near the city of Nablus.

Didn't take the Isaeli's long did it?

Re: Beirut fury at 'ceasefire breach'

Sorry forgot the link:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5266688.stm

Perhaps they should also obey the UN and disarm Hezbollah? They wont even ask them to disarm. Why should Israel be the only one you condem for not doing as the UN asks? We must require the same from both sides, or we will see war again.

Quote Originally Posted by Worried_in_the_USA
    Perhaps they should also obey the UN and disarm Hezbollah? They wont even ask them to disarm. Why should Israel be the only one you condem for not doing as the UN asks? We must require the same from both sides, or we will see war again.
    All I said was it didn't take them long to break the ceasefire.

Hezbulla never broke it.

If Hezbulla had broke it, I would have said it about them.

I did a copy and paste, so I thought I would at least put a comment of my own into it.

Perhaps when Hezbulla becomes the government of Lebanon (through being elected of course) they will take notice of the UN.

The UN told the Lebonese Gov to disarm Hezbulla didn't they?

I think the UN were taking the piss. (not really but...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza.
    Didn't take the Hezbollah long to use the use the cease fire to re-arm....or did you overlook that part, ya pommie old git?

Same answer I gave to Worried:

All I said was it didn't take them long to break the ceasefire.

Hezbulla never broke it.

If Hezbulla had broke it, I would have said it about them.

I did a copy and paste, so I thought I would at least put a comment of my own into it.

Perhaps when Hezbulla becomes the government of Lebanon (through being elected of course) they will take notice of the UN.

The UN told the Lebonese Gov to disarm Hezbulla didn't they?

I think the UN were taking the piss. (not really but...)

ya pommie old git? :D :p

And why is it we dont just let them go at it?.......seems to have slipped my mind :rolleyes:

This is from last Wednesday:

The fact that Hizbollah has not released the kidnapped soldiers is not a violation of Resolution 1701, because the Government of Israel was collectively too obtuse or negligent in its moral responsibilities to notice that the requirement for “the unconditional release of the abducted Israeli soldiers” was not in an operative paragraph of the resolution, as I said before.

Meanwhile, the fact that Lebanon has now stated that it will not disarm Hizbollah is a clear violation of the same resolution. Anything but “the complete disarmament of Hezbollah” means the cease fire resolution has been breached. OP8 of the resolution calls for “the establishment between the Blue Line and the Litani river of an area free of any armed personnel, assets and weapons other than those of the government of Lebanon and of UNIFIL,” and also for “the disarmament of all armed groups in Lebanon, so that, pursuant to the Lebanese cabinet decision of July 27, 2006, there will be no weapons or authority in Lebanon other than that of the Lebanese state.” Hizbollah weapons caches on the Israeli border are a violation of the agreement, but Livni can’t seem to find the words.

The fact that the U.N. ignored this and blames Israel for the breech of Resolution 1701, 2 days after Lebanon and Hezbollah had already done so, demonstrates the total ineptness of the United Nations to govern or mediate world conflict.

They should stick to world hunger and humanitarian aid, and keep their noses out of military conflicts.

And using your obtuse logic we should ask Israel to also disarm? Wouldn't that be "fair", or were you just joking when you said Israel has a right to defend herself, but Arabs don't and should just submit to the Zionist stormtroopers conducting their blitzkreig tactics on innocent civilians?

AnarchicOldGit, were you the least bit surprised that Israel would piss on the UN and the world and break the cease-fire? The only "surprising" part is that it took them this long. They're addicted to this hate. It's like a drug to them, they can't live without it. While load after load of weapons pour into Israel from the US, all we hear is Hezbollah is being armed by Syria. If the raid in Baalbek was justified by these zio-nazi supporters, then a raid on the port city of Haifa by Hizbollah would also be justified, no?

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    And using your obtuse logic we should ask Israel to also disarm? Wouldn't that be "fair", or were you just joking when you said Israel has a right to defend herself, but Arabs don't and should just submit to the Zionist stormtroopers conducting their blitzkreig tactics on innocent civilians?

AnarchicOldGit, were you the least bit surprised that Israel would piss on the UN and the world and break the cease-fire? The only "surprising" part is that it took them this long. They're addicted to this hate. It's like a drug to them, they can't live without it. While load after load of weapons pour into Israel from the US, all we hear is Hezbollah is being armed by Syria. If the raid in Baalbek was justified by these zio-nazi supporters, then a raid on the port city of Haifa by Hizbollah would also be justified, no?
    The UN did not call for the disarming of Israel. By your logic, I would have had to have asked for the disarment of the Lebanon Army. How do you equate Hezbollah with a real Government? Can you see your fault in logic here?

The UN did not call for the disarming of Israel. By your logic, I would have had to have asked for the disarment of the Lebanon Army. How do you equate Hezbollah with a real Government? Can you see your fault in logic here?
    Israel doesn't give a fvck about the UN resolutions, so why should Hezbollah ?? How many UN resolutions has Israel fvcking violated over the years??

Even if it was true that Hezbollah messed this one up (which it isn't. Israel always has a story/excuse to continue some sort of "self-defense" tactics to justify their obdurate agenda), you can't expect them to drop their pants and disarm if Israel won't. It appears to slip your mind that Israel still has unaccounted numbers of nukes and WMD's. Also, still no signature on the NNPT last time I checked.
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.