+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Judge: Wiretap Program Unconstitutional

"DETROIT -- A federal judge ruled Thursday that the government's warrantless wiretapping program is unconstitutional and ordered an immediate halt to it.

U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor in Detroit became the first judge to strike down the National Security Agency's program, which she says violates the rights to free speech and privacy as well as the separation of powers enshrined in the Constitution.

"Plaintiffs have prevailed, and the public interest is clear, in this matter. It is the upholding of our Constitution," Taylor wrote in her 43-page opinion."

The Constitution is alive and well in spite of various viscious attempts by the neo-conservative fascist faction of the Republican Party to completely and utterly dismantle it. The tide has turned on Bush and his party of pigs. God Bless America!

Re: Judge: Wiretap Program Unconstitutional

It's nice to see some parts of our goverement are still upholding the constitution. Even the president isn't above the law.

Yes, now we can all rest secure in the knowledge that people who will do us
    harm can communicate freely, because if nothing else when we get blown
    off the face of the earth, we will all be free and politically correct.
    What a comfort!
    This whole thing is a bad joke in the poorest of taste.
    The homeland security is impotent.
    Borders are wide open. We cant profile cause someone might be offended.
    Ports are not secure. And, we are being forced through our tax dollars to
    fund the war to secure others "freedom" and protect their borders.
    Whats wrong with this picture?
    If the government has so little to do that they want to monitor my
    conversations, then go for it. I have nothing to hide.
    They already know everything about us anyway.
    Political correctness will be our downfall if the terrorists dont succeed first.

Quote Originally Posted by goodwitchofthesouth
    What a comfort!
    Political correctness will be our downfall if the terrorists dont succeed first.
    You are right there :D

Do you work for the NWO?

"If you want to stop Terrorism, stop partticipating in Terrorism"

Tell that little gem of wisdom to your Terrorist President.

What a comfort!

Yes, this is just terrible. It looks like we might just have to learn to get along with others and not be the bully on the block. It also looks like we will have to learn to compromise and drop the polarizing "us-them", "good-evil" neo-conservative policies that has got us into all this mess. How disturbing.

What a comfort!
    Good Day Citizen of Oceania...It is doubleplusgood to see you expressing your political party's views...

Quote Originally Posted by cscirpoli
    Good Day Citizen of Oceania...It is doubleplusgood to see you expressing your political party's views...
    Good observation csc. The practitioners of this particular political party's views are too simple-minded to realize how laughable their remarks truly are.....

They don't seem to be able to get it through their impenetrable pumpkins that if we toss out political correctness and wipe our collective asses with the Constitution, then the terrorists have succeeded.
    All one has to do is look at the current situation in America. Fear of flying, fear of subways, fear of rail travel, fear of going abroad, American soldiers dying daily, a deficit that is clearly out of control, etc, etc, etc,. Osama doesn't have to blow anything up. He doesn't even have to phone in a threat. He just has to sit back in his cave and watch us on Fox, wacking ourselves in our tender parts with a shiny silver, rhinestone encrusted baton.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName

They don't seem to be able to get it through their impenetrable pumpkins that if we toss out political correctness and wipe our collective asses with the Constitution, then the terrorists have succeeded.
    All one has to do is look at the current situation in America. Fear of flying, fear of subways, fear of rail travel, fear of going abroad, American soldiers dying daily, a deficit that is clearly out of control, etc, etc, etc,. Osama doesn't have to blow anything up. He doesn't even have to phone in a threat. He just has to sit back in his cave and watch us on Fox, wacking ourselves in our tender parts with a shiny silver, rhinestone encrusted baton.
    Oh...but wait a minute...at least we still got the freedom to sit at home and be scared :D

I for one am more scare of getting killed by some lunatic in the street, healthcare, how I am going to put a meal on the table, etc. than terrorism. I'm not saying it's not a threat and doesn't need to be monitored and thwarted - but my god it's not the most important issue in this country! And you're right, the current situation and panic in america is producing the right result from ole Osama.

I applaud this decision. I agree wholeheartedly. I just wish we would now see some public officials impeached/removed for violating their oath to uphold the constitution. This oath is far more important than any promising to protect our country. The country is in no danger...the constitution is.

Love it! Here is an opinion piece on it that says more.
    There is a judge who can interpret the law correctly. Amen to her.

Editorial
    Ruling for the Law

Published: August 18, 2006

Ever since President Bush was forced to admit that he was spying on Americans’ telephone calls and e-mail without warrants, his lawyers have fought to keep challenges to the program out of the courts. Yesterday, that plan failed. A federal judge in Detroit declared the eavesdropping program to be illegal and unconstitutional. She also offered a scathing condemnation of what lies behind the wiretapping — Mr. Bush’s attempt to expand his powers to the point that he can place himself beyond the reach of Congress, judges or the Constitution.

“There are no hereditary kings in America and no powers not created by the Constitution,” wrote Judge Anna Diggs Taylor of the United States District Court in Detroit. Her decision was based on a lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union.

She said Mr. Bush violated the 1978 Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act when he ordered the National Security Agency to spy without a warrant on international phone calls and e-mail by Americans and foreign residents of the United States. She noted that the surveillance law was passed to prohibit just this sort of presidential abuse of power and provided ample flexibility for gathering vital intelligence. She also said that the program violated the Fourth Amendment, which prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures, as well as the rights of free speech and association granted by the First Amendment.

The ruling eviscerated the absurd notion on which the administration’s arguments have been based: that Congress authorized Mr. Bush to do whatever he thinks is necessary when it authorized the invasion of Afghanistan.

It’s good news that this ruling exists at all. Mr. Bush’s lawyers tried to have the entire suit thrown out on national security grounds, a tactic they have used in an alarming number of cases. In one particularly appalling example, they persuaded federal judges to refuse to hear a lawsuit filed by an innocent German citizen of Lebanese birth who was snatched out of his private life, illegally imprisoned for five months and tortured by American jailers.

In this case, the administration told Judge Taylor that merely arguing its case would expose top secret information. Judge Taylor said she had reviewed the secret material and concluded it was not relevant. The secrecy claim, she said, was “disingenuous and without merit.”

No sooner had this ruling been issued than Mr. Bush’s loyalists in Congress, who have been searching for ways to give legal cover to an illegal spying program, began calling for new laws to overcome Judge Taylor’s objections. Republicans quickly pointed out that Judge Taylor was appointed by President Jimmy Carter and that some of the many precedents she cited were written by liberal judges. These efforts to undermine Judge Taylor’s arguments will undoubtedly continue while the White House appeals the decision, and the outcome in the conservative Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals is uncertain.

But for now, with a careful, thoroughly grounded opinion, one judge in Michigan has done what 535 members of Congress have so abysmally failed to do. She has reasserted the rule of law over a lawless administration and shown why issues of this kind belong within the constitutional process created more than two centuries ago to handle them.

The country is in no danger...the constitution is.
    Spoken like a true constitution-thumping brown shirt wack-o

Why is it you people are against protecting this country against terrorism ? ....oh wait I already know the answer to that .....you hate George Bush and you want to see him fail miserably, even if its at the expence of american lives

You all pathetic pigs and your disingenuous support of our constition is blatantly obvious

Anyone who applauds this decision is a terrorist supporter

Maybe we should just blow up all our bridges and buildings to save the terrorists some time, we'd be dead but at least we'd still have our constitution

Have a nice day

schmucks
    Last edited by franKg; 08-18-2006 at 03:49 PM.
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

Quote Originally Posted by franKg

Why is it you people are against protecting this country against terrorism ? ....oh wait I already know the answer to that .....you hate George Bush and you want to see him fail miserably, even if its at the expence of american lives

You all pathetic pigs and your disingenuous support of our constition is blatantly obvious

Maybe we should just blow up all our bridges and buildings to save the terrorists some time, we'd be dead but at least we'd still have our constitution

Have a nice day

schmucks
    I don't want to see him fail, he already has failed miserably. And when American's give up and lose the foundations upon which blood was shed to establish this great country, there will be nothing left to admire America for. She will no longer be the home of the brave and the FREE.

schmuck yourself you pathetic little servant boy.

Lady Mod

What a comfort!

Then why don't you go ahead amd apply for residency in Red China where you can be sure you'll be nice and safe from the "terrists"?

"Those who would sacrifice precious liberty for security deserve neither" -- Benjamin Frankilin
    Last edited by dchristie; 08-18-2006 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    Good observation csc. The practitioners of this particular political party's views are too simple-minded to realize how laughable their remarks truly are.....

Well stated. I despise these trembling, feckless cowards who are Bin Laden's useful idiots. Without them, Al Qaeda would be nothing.
    Last edited by dchristie; 08-18-2006 at 05:00 PM.

Have a nice day

schmucks
    What you fail to see here....this ruling said that the president overstepped his bounds and that there was a system of checks and balances here, and the proper procedures were not followed. The president does not have the authority to make up laws - there's a system for that and without that system our goverment will fail. Our president does not and should not have unlimited powers and for some reason GW thinks he should - that's not what this country was founded on. How would you feel if another say democrat president with policies different from what you and a lot of the country agree on started secretly making laws and overstepping his powers? Anwser that honestly - because when one person can make the laws, it's not a democracy.

Wow, brought out the big guns and called me a Nazi...can you even tell me what nazi-ism and fascism means without looking it up?
    Hate George Bush eh? Well I voted for him, but he has betrayed his oath, and me. No, I don't hate him but i am very disappointed with him. I am all for protecting this country against terrorism, but not at the expense of that which makes this country worth protecting...our constitution. Perhaps you should read it so you understand it a bit more.
    MMMM...namecalling, you are indeed a mental giant. I quiver in terror before your intellectual might.
    I am having a hard time following your logic here...sounds like just frothing at the mouth knee-jerk drivel.

Have a nice day

schmucks
    Your pathetic attempts to cloud the issue and insult me with weak insults change nothing. The important point here is that which was noted above. There are no government powers that do not specifically exist in the constitution. If it is not spelled out...they do not have it.
    So if the government takes upon itself any powers not granted by the constitution (whatever the justification), they have violated the constitution and must be corrected (or impeached). In this case the judge has done her job and recognized this. I only hope that the supreme court has this level of integrity.

This decision has very little do with terrorists. It could be killer whales that they want to protect us from by trampling all over the constitution...does not matter what the justification is...if you violate your oath of office and the constitution, you should be held accountable. Oh and I guess that means I am pro-killer whale too.

As for whether the terrorists pose any real threat to us, we kill more of our own citizens through traffic accidents than the terrorists do. Can you tell me with a straight face that our republic is in danger of a successful invasion by islamic terrorists? Which state will they invade and occupy first? There is no true danger to us as a whole. Only the danger of doing things out of fear that cause us to destroy ourselves.

I could go on and insult you but you own words have made clear your limitations far more eloquently than I could with my limited vocabulary.
    Last edited by Reap_rxp; 08-18-2006 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added thought