+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cars.com

cars.com

So, i've been talking to this guy from Seattle that sells a 85 toyota mr2 for $2975.00 and it has 64k miles. NOT BAD AT ALL for a car this old. I'm from portland, OR. He said that his platoon in the military or w/e will be shipped to afghan soon (but i thought the troops are coming back slowly?) so he need to sell the car fast. His email for me saying stuff really similiar to other people review about "amazon payment", which there is no such thing from what i read. He said he already include shipping and handling fee and the total price is just that much as listed above. He just need my name and address so he can ship the car to me then amazon payment will handle the money and all that paper work. So can i really trust this guy? It does seem extremely BS but i never done stuff like this before so if you guys can help me out it'll be greatness.

his email is [email protected]

does this sound familiar to any of you?

Re: cars.com

uh, this is a used car scam, not a MLM scam.

and yes, it is a scam. there's no car. just you and one crook that will tell you anything to get you to send him some money by western union.

Oh, i'm not sure if i'm even on the right section of the thread because i'm only here for this question so please forgive me if i am in a wrong section. But if anyone know about stuff like these then please help me out. Thanks a bunch guys!

i did help you - don't send money - he's not selling a car.

it's a trick.

aight, cool. that's all i needed to know. thanks man

100% scam, as mumbles said.

There is no car.

There are stolen pictures of someone else's car.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "car shipping company/agent" and will demand you pay for "shipping costs", in cash, and only by Western Union or moneygram.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of cheap vehicles, great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "fake car shipping scam", "western union shipping fraud" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts of victims and near victims of this type of scam.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Opinion is offline The World is a Vampire! And We're Just Rats In A Cage

Wow, crazy. You'd think someone with such a good domain name would be reputable.

Good investigation guys!
    Check out the Bamboo Bar When In NJ !

Quote Originally Posted by Opinion View Post
    Wow, crazy. You'd think someone with such a good domain name would be reputable.
    While the site cars.com could be a reputable site, the ads posted by scammers aren't. Cars.com, like ebay, craigslist and any other site that allows people to post ads for items for sale don't verify that the ads are from legit people, that the items for sale actually exist or that scammers haven't posted the exact same ad a hundred times with 10 different names.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

well i was okay going all the way to seattle to see the car in person. so i message him that. he end up saying his car is in his military station. i told him (professional business way) that its only common to see the car in person before you buy, i wanna trust him that this is legit, give me your address, we meet face to face, cash only, etc etc i gave him a paragraph....he stop replying since then lol

Cars.com is an EXCELLENT site for all purposes--reviews, pricing and actually finding your next car or selling the one you don't want.

Obviously, they cannot check out all those who run ads on their site.

I have found that anytime anything sounds too good to be true it ALWAYS is.

And, yeah, when you get one of these scammers in your sites, torture them for as long as you possibly can. Have them go to specific locations to pick up their wired money, etc. Or hunt them down and gaff-hook them. Whatever time will allow.

There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

sorry pw, you can't make anybody go to a certain place to pick up western union money. western union doesn't work that way.

this is why the scammers use it. western union money is just one record in a computer file. anybody that knows the name of the person that sent the money, the amount, the transaction number, can pick up the money, anywhere, no ID required.

all the info that might be requested by the WU agent is sent to the scammer by the victim, by email. WU agents are everywhere, groceries, check cashing stores, hotels, more.