+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Direct Selling thru the Recession

An interesting article about Direct Selling thru the recession.

One of Idaho’s fast growing companies is Scentsy. They sell wickless candles and personal care products. It’s a direct sales company, meaning independent consultants sell products largely through home parties (think The Pampered Chef).

The Direct Selling Association is a trade group for some of the country’s most well known direct sales companies like Avon, Herbalife and The Pampered Chef. DSA has about 200 members, including four companies based in Idaho (Kyani, Melaleuca, 21Ten and Scentsy). According to DSA, direct sales in the U.S. totaled more than $28.5 billion in 2010.
    CLICK LINK ABOVE FOR MORE.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Re: Direct Selling thru the Recession

MLM Company, Tupperware, named as one of the most admired companies in the world by Fortune.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Strong results for MLM companies during recession.

My friend sold Tupperware all through the recession. I don't think he and his wife ever made much, considering he borrowed money from me and I never heard from him again once he got fired. But he was one of the ones making that company rich over the last several years. I guess since I gave him money, and he paid them, then technically I helped make them rich.

Wow, I can't get away from MLM even when I try....
    There is not one woman on this planet capable of finishing an entire can of soda.

Quote Originally Posted by needs2stop View Post
    My friend sold Tupperware all through the recession. I don't think he and his wife ever made much, considering he borrowed money from me and I never heard from him again once he got fired. But he was one of the ones making that company rich over the last several years. I guess since I gave him money, and he paid them, then technically I helped make them rich.

Wow, I can't get away from MLM even when I try....
    That's right, its a quiet revolution spreading round the world. Y'know what they say...''if you can't beat them, join them''.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    That's right, its a quiet revolution spreading round the world. Y'know what they say...''if you can't beat them, join them''.
    I tried that already. It didn't work out too well...
    There is not one woman on this planet capable of finishing an entire can of soda.

From the article:

"But there are definitely a number of small direct selling companies that are operating in the U.S. Certainly many of them are small businesses, just getting started. Direct selling is a great way to get products to market for small companies, so we certainly anticipate there will be many more companies out there that we’ll learn about everyday."

I'll agree, and I've said this before, MLM is a great way for a small company to get products to market relatively easy, compared to conventional methods, which require much more start up capital and various logisitical issues.

But, for the 100th time, these type of articles talk about how profitable MLM's are, If You're The Owner, Not The Distributor! This was hashed out in the Amway $11 Billion thread as well as others.

The article talks about how people looked to MLM as a source of income during the economic downturn, but the article doesn't discuss whether or not these distributors had any measure of success.

Remember, MLM owner = profitability, Distributor = 99% failure rate (defined by net loss).

If distributors owned stock in the company itself, then and only then would I say that the company's profits directly benefit the distributorship.

Think about it, what if the start up fee for the distributorship provided company stock instead of just disappearing into the owner's pockets? I'd feel a little better about starting a distributorship if I actually had a portion of ownership in the company. That will never happen, of course.
    MLM's Mission Statement:

"The primary product is opportunity. The strongest, most powerful motivational force today is false hope."

"Almost everyone is not going to learn the skills and use them consistently over time, you would be better off joining Costco" -Dank111

Lets look at that phrase again:
    Direct selling is a great way to get products to market for small companies
    Who do you think is moving the products, the company or the distributors? Why are they moving the products? Only two reasons are 1. because they are being paid for doing it.....net result = they're happy; or 2. because they want to use the products themselves...net result = they're happy.

Want to re-think your pathetic comments again?

While we're at it, I'll ask the question I've been asking people like you for years.....please can you prove your ''99% failure rate''....showing a breakdown of how many distributors are doing nothing; how much retail profit distributors are making; and how many hours and what activities the top earners are doing.
    I'll eagerly await your answer. Thanks.
    Last edited by ChrisDoyle; 03-21-2012 at 08:13 AM.

The article doesn't mention a new company from Idaho called "Damsel in Distress". I have been invited to no less than 8 Damsel in Distress parties in the last 2 weeks. I've got a glock... so I keep declining since my personal security is just fine. Plus, I know way to many people who have accidentally sprayed themselves with pepper spray.

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    The article doesn't mention a new company from Idaho called "Damsel in Distress". I have been invited to no less than 8 Damsel in Distress parties in the last 2 weeks. I've got a glock... so I keep declining since my personal security is just fine. Plus, I know way to many people who have accidentally sprayed themselves with pepper spray.
    Interesting idea I suppose, in these dangerous times.

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    Ever consider a stun gun?

The “Bull” is the world’s newest, most advanced and stylish electronic stun gun. One touch from this stun gun and the bad guy will wish he had never crossed your path. The “bull” will incapacitate the attacker by sending huge amounts of electrical noise into his muscles rendering him incapable of controlling his muscle group.
    Sure, a Glock is fine, but messy, and you have to waste time in court.

Fry his nuts with 975,000 Volts and I'm sure the guy will reconsider bothering anyone the next time.

But I guess The “Bull” is messy too from that description - "... rendering him incapable of controlling his muscle group".

Not only does he get a scorched scrotum, but a full load in his shorts as an added bonus. :cwm2:

Woman carrying guns: bad idea. An MLM based around self defense: bad idea.

Let me guess, they get all these women together and then try to put the fear of God in them about being raped...

Long on opinion, short on data. So par for the course for MLM "articles".

Yet another press release by MLM.

then there's the "strong results for MLM companies" link that's one company. Companies means more than one. Some large MLM's took some major hits during the downturn in north america.
    I'm not selling anything, so I don't need links in my signature to for-profit ventures. You really should question the intentions of those here that have them, as they are generally advertising, not informing.

Huge sponsorship for ten years between LA Galaxy and Herbalife.

Strong sales for Visalus

I wonder if Chris realizes how accurately the term "recession" fits the times he's talking about.

a lot of non-mlm companies have had good sales growth the last year. of course, we don't flood the forum with press releases (and call them articles) here to show the relative performance.

zzzzzzz.......

MLM is lagging the rest of the economy. What else is new?
    I'm not selling anything, so I don't need links in my signature to for-profit ventures. You really should question the intentions of those here that have them, as they are generally advertising, not informing.