+ Reply to Thread

Kijiji Ebay Western Union Scam

Please be aware of this Scam:

Up for Sale : Toyota Prius 2005
    Price $ 4100 canadian
    Sold by: Thomas Reyes
    SCAM: Offering a car at low market price. Try to give customer confidence by fake EBAY emails and try to get paid by Western Union.

Her follows the email corrospondence.

Sent: Wednesday, 14 March 2012, 7:35
    Subject: 2005 Toyota Prius‏

Hi,

The car is still available for sale, price as stated in the ad $ 4,100.It's in perfect working order, no dents or scratches, it wasn't involved in any accidents.I temporarily moved to Spain with work, but I left the car at a shipping company in Thunder Bay, Ontario.All shipping costs and insurance during transportation are included in the price.You will also receive all necessary documents in order to finalize the purchase.Email me back if you're interested and have further questions.

Thanks,

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 9:32 PM, m wrote:
    Hi Thomas,

Sounds interesting,
    Do I have money back guarantee period? What if the car is not what is promised?
    How shall we proceed pleace?

Thanks,

M

Sent: Friday, 16 March 2012, 10:41
    Subject: Re: 2005 Toyota Prius‏

Hi,

Look how this works:

1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
    2. They will send us the forms by email - for you about the payment.
    3. I will send the vehicle to your location and you will send a 50% deposit to eBay..
    4. After you inspect the vehicle and decide to keep it, they will transfer the money into my account.

RETURN POLICY:
    If by any reason the vehicle is not as described, or if you find any problems with it I will pay for the returning fees. I'm sure it won't be the case because the vehicle is in excellent condition.
    As soon as the vehicle arrives, you will test it and if it does not match 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 5 working days since the arrival date. In this case you will send me the vehicle in the same condition you received it.

Please provide me with your full name and shipping address so I can register the deal with eBay.

Thanks
    Hi again,

That goes really quick and efficient.

Ebay contacted me already with all the information. Looks solid.

How do we proceed?

Sent: Friday, 16 March 2012, 12:01

Hello M,

I have registered the transaction with eBay, please let me know when they contact you.

It is a beautiful and reliable car, I'm sure you're going to love it at least as much as I did.

Thank you,
    Tom

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:58 PM, m
    wrote:
    Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the answer. I am so excited as it looks so affordable to me.

Here is my address
    M (The below address is actually that of the Duncan Police station :-)

149 Canada Ave
    Duncan, BC V9L 1T4
    Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
    M

Sent: Friday, 16 March 2012, 10:41

Hi,

Look how this works:

1. I will contact eBay and give all the info about this deal.
    2. They will send us the forms by email - for you about the payment.
    3. I will send the vehicle to your location and you will send a 50% deposit to eBay..
    4. After you inspect the vehicle and decide to keep it, they will transfer the money into my account.

RETURN POLICY:
    If by any reason the vehicle is not as described, or if you find any problems with it I will pay for the returning fees. I'm sure it won't be the case because the vehicle is in excellent condition.
    As soon as the vehicle arrives, you will test it and if it does not match 100% to your expectations, you will return it in max. 5 working days since the arrival date. In this case you will send me the vehicle in the same condition you received it.

Please provide me with your full name and shipping address so I can register the deal with eBay.

Thanks
    This is the first fake EBAY email and it is in HTML. It looks like an EBAY page. Scarily well done with logos and the lot. It gives a lot of confidence.

Sent: Friday, 16 March 2012, 12:37
    Subject: eBay Motors VPP Transaction Case ID 3582913704

eBay Motors sent this message to M (with my email address).
    eBay Motors VPP Transaction Case ID 3582913704

eBay Motors member Thomas Reyes (thomas.reyes43@gmail.com), as the Seller, initiated a new transaction through eBay Motors Vehicle Purchase Protection program and registered you, M (with email address), as the Buyer.
    We have verified all the details of this transaction, we concluded that they are accurate and the transaction is approved. Please follow our instructions to complete the transaction safely. Your vehicle purchase is protected for up to $50 000 or the vehicle purchase price, whichever is lower.

Buy Confidently with our Vehicle Purchase Protection Program

Vehicle Purchase Protection
    Ensures that you receive the vehicle you paid for, with coverage up to $50 000 against fraud or material misrepresentation.
    Condition Guarantee by Seller
    Provides added confidence that the vehicle's condition is accurately described and protects you if it is significantly different.
    Extended Warranty
    Protects you from unexpected repair bills after the vehicle purchase.

New eBay Motors VPP Transaction
    Case ID: 3582913704

Item: 2005 Toyota Prius
    Price: $ 4,100

Seller Verified Profile: Thomas Reyes
    eBay Motors Member in good standing since 2003.
    Registered e-mail address thomas.reyes43@gmail.com.

Identity and Contact Information Verified.
    Continues to meet strict Membership Criteria.
    Committed to Dispute Resolution and Mediation.
    Purchase Protection Coverage up to $50 000.
    Complete the transaction in 5 easy steps
    Buyer and Seller agree on the transaction terms and a selling price. Seller contacts eBay Motors with the transaction details;
    eBay Motors accepts the transaction and offers purchase protection to the Buyer (if the transaction is declined, no further action is required from neither Buyer or Seller);
    The Buyer receives an invoice and sends the payment to eBay Motors. After the payment is verified by eBay Motors, the Seller will initiate the shipping. The Seller has three (3) business days to provide a tracking number to both the Buyer and eBay Motors. If no tracking number is provided, a full refund is immediately sent to the Buyer;
    The Buyer receives the vehicle and has five (5) business days to inspect it. If it is as described and as agreed, the Buyer should accept the vehicle. If he refuses it, the Seller will be responsible of shipping back the vehicle;
    After the inspection period is over (5 business days), the Buyer must contact eBay Motors with the result of the inspection. If the Buyer refuses the vehicle, the payment will be refunded to the Buyer. If the Buyer accepts the vehicle, the payment will be sent to the Seller within three (3) business days.

Vehicle Purchase Protection Overview
    Buy with confidence on eBay Motors! The Vehicle Purchase Protection program protects your vehicle purchase against fraud and material misrepresentation. This program is provided by eBay Motors for FREE on all eligible vehicle transactions completed on eBay Motors. There's no sign-up, opt-in, or registration necessary.

The following types of fraud and material misrepresentation are covered:

Paying for a vehicle and never receiving it;

Sending a deposit for a vehicle and never receiving the vehicle;

Paying for and receiving a vehicle:

that was a stolen vehicle at the time of the transaction;

with an undisclosed or unknown lien against its title;

of a make and/or model that is different than what was described in the seller's listing;

without receiving the title for that vehicle from the seller, if it is impossible for you to obtain a title from the appropriate Department of Motor Vehicles;

whose title is subject to an undisclosed salvage, rebuilt/rebuildable, unrebuildable, reconstructed, scrapped/destroyed, junk, lemon, manufacturer buyback, or water damage title brand at the time of the sale;

with a model year that is different than the model year described in the seller's listing;

with an odometer reading that is different than the odometer reading described in the seller's listing.

Your vehicle purchase is protected for up to $50 000 or the vehicle purchase price, whichever is lower. The program covers Cars, Trucks, Motorcycles, ATVs, Go-Karts, Scooters, Mopeds, Personal Watercraft, Snowmobiles, Boats, Buses, Commercial Trucks, Race Cars, RVs and Campers, Trailers.

Help

For any questions please contact eBay Motors Customer Support at online.motors@consultant.com.

Thank you,
    eBay Motors Customer Support
    Vehicle Purchase Protection Program

This administrative email was sent to m(my email address) from eBay Motors.

See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions about eBay's communication policies.

Copyright 2012 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.
    eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

And here is the 2nd fake Ebay Email:

To: m
    Sent: Friday, 16 March 2012, 12:40
    Subject: eBay Motors VPP Invoice # 3582913704- Payment Instructions

eBay Motors sent this message to M
    (my email address).
    eBay Motors VPP Invoice # 3582913704- Payment Instructions

Invoice for VPP Transaction Case ID 3582913704 between Thomas Reyes (thomas.reyes43@gmail.com), as the Seller, and M (my email) as the Buyer. Please follow our instructions to complete the transaction safely.

Seller:
    Name: Thomas Reyes
    Address: 8 Belmonte de Tajo
    Parla, Madrid
    Spain

Buyer:
    Name: M
    Address: 149 Canada Ave
    Duncan, BC
    V9L 1T4
    Canada

Transaction Details:

Case ID: 3582913704
    Date: March-16-2012
    Item: 2005 Toyota Prius
    Price: $ 4,100
    Quantity: 1
    Insurance: Yes
    Shipping: Included
    Shipping to*: M
    149 Canada Ave
    Duncan, BC
    V9L 1T4
    Canada
    *Please check the details for an accurate delivery in order to avoid delays.

Payment must be submitted via WesternUnion Money Transfer to an eBay Motors Agent in charge of this transaction. The eBay Motors Agent will secure the payment until the Buyer receives, inspects and accepts the vehicle. Or, if it is the case, the Agent will refund the payment to the Buyer.

eBay Motors Agent*:
    First Name: Richard
    Last Name: Morris
    Address: 20 Albunuelas
    City: Madrid
    Zip: 28041

*The WesternUnion Money Transfer will be sent using this name and address.
    Payment:
    Invoice # : 3582913704
    Due Date: March-18-2012

Subtotal: $ 2,050
    Shipping: 0
    Sales Tax: 0

Deposit: 0
    Total: $ 2,050
    How to make the payment
    Click below to find the nearest WesternUnion office:
    Find Agent Location
    Send the payment using eBay Motors Agent's name and address (found below) as payment details.
    E-mail* eBay Motors Financial Department at:

online.motors@consultant.com
    the following payment information:
    Case ID and Invoice #;
    MTCN - 10 digits number found on the payment receipt;
    Sender's Name and Address;
    Receiver's Name and Address;
    Total Amount Sent;
    Phone Number.
    Fax* the WesternUnion payment receipt to eBay Motors Financial Department at:
    +1 (206) 388-4975.
    *We strongly recommend that you confirm the payment by both e-mail and fax.

Important Notice
    For security reasons please DO NOT release the payment details to the Seller or any other unauthorized person.

All the transaction, payment and personal information is considered confidential and will not be released under any circumstances.
    Vehicle Purchase Protection program security measures are constantly reviewed and modified given ****ing circumstances globally.
    Our main and constant priority is the safety of our customers.

If you are not familiarized with WesternUnion Money Transfer services please visit: www.WesternUnion.com.
    Pay for the transfer with cash at a local WesternUnion agent. WesternUnion agent locations are independent businesses that provide money transfer service to their customers on behalf of WesternUnion. WesternUnion agents are primarily banks, post offices, exchange offices or retail locations - grocery stores, mail box centers, drug stores, travel agencies, depots, other retail locations.
    Independent WesternUnion agents may impose different limitations on the maximum amount that can be submitted per day. For this reason, in case of a larger amount to be sent, we recommend that you go to more than one agent and submit the total sum in separate transfers.

When payment is received, it will be verified and secured into a non-interest bearing trust account. Payment verification process usually takes less than 48 hours. After payment is secured, the Seller is authorized to ship vehicle. The Seller has 5 business days to send the Buyer and eBay Motors Customer Support the tracking number of the shipment. If no tracking number is provided, a full refund is immediately sent to the Buyer.

The Buyer receives the vehicle and has 5 business days to inspect it. If it is complete and as described, the Buyer should accept the vehicle. If he refuses the vehicle, the Seller will be responsible of shipping back the vehicle.

After the inspection period is over, the Buyer must contact eBay Motors Customer Support with the result of the inspection. If the Buyer refuses the vehicle, the refund will be sent to the Buyer. If the vehicle is accepted, eBay Motors Financial Department submits the payment directly to the Seller within 3 business days.

Help

For any questions please contact eBay Motors Customer Support at online.motors@consultant.com.

Thank you,
    eBay Motors Financial Department
    Vehicle Purchase Protection Program

This administrative email was sent to (my email) from eBay Motors.

See our Privacy Policy and User Agreement if you have questions about eBay's communication policies.

Copyright 2012 eBay, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
    Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
    eBay and the eBay logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of eBay, Inc.
    eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125.

(of course) I did not go that far to make an actual payment.

And Tom was so friendly to "save me some money".

Sent: Friday, 16 March 2012, 12:58

Hello,

Everything is explained in the invoice.

Before I forget, the fees for the westernunion transfer will be around $100.The westernunion fees for payments are even higher than for personal transfers. You can tell the person from the westernunion office that you're sending the money to a relative or a friend. There will be no difference on the payment receipt. You'll just avoid paying some extra fees.

Kindest regards,
    Tom

I really hope this posting is avoiding someone to be scammed.
    Cheers,
    Nadjaji

Last edited by nadjaji; 03-16-2012 at 04:10 PM.

Re: Kijiji Ebay Western Union Scam

Quote Originally Posted by nadjaji View Post
    I considder to press charges at the local police. Does anyone have experience with that?

I really hope this posting is avoiding someone to be scammed.
    Cheers,
    Nadjaji
    Thanks for posting up the information on that scammer. While not every potential victim will post saying "thanks", they are thanking you in their heart for saving them money and grief.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Thanks!!

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, post up a fake website, read up on how to alert a hosting company that they are hosting a fake website, ask questions and learn all about the hobby of scambaiting.

Since that scammer intended to steal your money, he did not giving you his real life information. All you have is one of his fake names, one of his free email addresses, one of his fake stories and one of his paid-for-in-cash cell phone numbers. None of information is going to help your local law enforcement agency track down that anonymous scammer sitting in a cyber cafe half way around the world from you. Sorry.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com