Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Convention horror stories

I have had MLM'rs try to get me to attend conventions like Ambition for Ambit Energy.

I'm in NY and they wanted me to fly down to texas, pay for the convention ticket, pay for motel stay, food, buy the various speakers books (of course).

I said no because I think it's a bunch of crap. MLM'rs play mind games with you, saying such garbage that "if you want to succeed [you need to spend hundreds of dollars to] attend this convention."

I was on a conference call where the Ambit leaders pushed everyone to part with their hard earned money so they could hear a shyster like John Maxwell teach them how to be successful. Oh yeah, now they want you to buy their "21 ambit lessons" cd. How much you want to bet the leaders get a cut of that $20. What a bunch of shysters.

Re: Convention horror stories

Quote Originally Posted by bsc8987 View Post
    I have had MLM'rs try to get me to attend conventions like Ambition for Ambit Energy.

I'm in NY and they wanted me to fly down to texas, pay for the convention ticket, pay for motel stay, food, buy the various speakers books (of course).

I said no because I think it's a bunch of crap. MLM'rs play mind games with you, saying such garbage that "if you want to succeed [you need to spend hundreds of dollars to] attend this convention."

I was on a conference call where the Ambit leaders pushed everyone to part with their hard earned money so they could hear a shyster like John Maxwell teach them how to be successful. Oh yeah, now they want you to buy their "21 ambit lessons" cd. How much you want to bet the leaders get a cut of that $20. What a bunch of shysters.
    YAWN!!!!!!
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

WOW, such a terrible "horror story"... people trying to earn a profit in a business...that's just TERRIBLE.

Thanks soooo much for sharing that just awful convention nightmare.

What a doosy!

:blunt:
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Many MLM businesses have what is known within the industry as, "The business within the business". A small picture of what this looks like:

1. Your daily meetings cost $[i]/attendee to attend to "pay for venue costs". Yet they don't shrink as attendance grows to match the revenue to the cost, instead they remain static and pay out extremely large dividends to the host.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not a reflection on the company and its honesty, it is a reflection on the host and theirs. Many MLM's provide, or intend to provide, legitimate services and products and the initial jump to exposure is costly which necessitates the meeting surcharge -- but as the business grows and is more successful, the cost should inevitably shrink.

2. Leaders within the company promote their reading materials and others for Personal Development. This is an issue of opportunity and venue. They wrote a book, clearly they felt like something they wrote in it was worth sharing and they are passionate about what they wrote (otherwise they wouldn't have written it). PD is also one of the largest industries in the U.S. because everyone recognizes an innate truth that with skill their time becomes more valuable. This is true in EVERY industry, not just MLM. As a matter of fact, every single one of my professors in my senior year of college, conveniently, assigned us the book THEY authored; often times ranging between 2-5x the cost of other books in the same field addressing the same topics.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a result of greed, and would result regardless of the MLM industries involvement. It's prevalence in MLM is due to the fact that there is no formal training that directly translates to MLM success. Your Personal Development, much like the books in my classes, is limited to the scope of the industry and of course they'll promote the book they wrote (if they wrote one). If they didn't, why did they write it in the first place? Its not a scam, that's business.

I understand that you're tripping about the cost of x, y and z of services being solicited to you. If you don't want them, why do you care how much they cost? There are at least 10 books that I recommend to every single person I know, 6 are Personal Development and 4 are classic literature. How much money do you think I see when someone I recommend "How to win friends and influence people" buys it? Not a dime lol or "Walden".

Not everything is a scam mate, but since I know where your thinking is at I'll make sure to steer clear of people recommending me to Micheal Bay movies, cause the only way anyone would recommend one of THOSE is is they were getting paid to do so.

btw it should be noted that I don't agree with the "business within the business" practice, which is one major thing I'm glad about within Seacret (the Network Marketing Company I'm with). That aside, while I don't agree with it... I understand it. More over, I don't condemn it even though I certainly don't condone it.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulReardon View Post
    Many MLM businesses have what is known within the industry as, "The business within the business". A small picture of what this looks like:

1. Your daily meetings cost $[i]/attendee to attend to "pay for venue costs". Yet they don't shrink as attendance grows to match the revenue to the cost, instead they remain static and pay out extremely large dividends to the host.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is not a reflection on the company and its honesty, it is a reflection on the host and theirs. Many MLM's provide, or intend to provide, legitimate services and products and the initial jump to exposure is costly which necessitates the meeting surcharge -- but as the business grows and is more successful, the cost should inevitably shrink.

2. Leaders within the company promote their reading materials and others for Personal Development. This is an issue of opportunity and venue. They wrote a book, clearly they felt like something they wrote in it was worth sharing and they are passionate about what they wrote (otherwise they wouldn't have written it). PD is also one of the largest industries in the U.S. because everyone recognizes an innate truth that with skill their time becomes more valuable. This is true in EVERY industry, not just MLM. As a matter of fact, every single one of my professors in my senior year of college, conveniently, assigned us the book THEY authored; often times ranging between 2-5x the cost of other books in the same field addressing the same topics.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a result of greed, and would result regardless of the MLM industries involvement. It's prevalence in MLM is due to the fact that there is no formal training that directly translates to MLM success. Your Personal Development, much like the books in my classes, is limited to the scope of the industry and of course they'll promote the book they wrote (if they wrote one). If they didn't, why did they write it in the first place? Its not a scam, that's business.

I understand that you're tripping about the cost of x, y and z of services being solicited to you. If you don't want them, why do you care how much they cost? There are at least 10 books that I recommend to every single person I know, 6 are Personal Development and 4 are classic literature. How much money do you think I see when someone I recommend "How to win friends and influence people" buys it? Not a dime lol or "Walden".

Not everything is a scam mate, but since I know where your thinking is at I'll make sure to steer clear of people recommending me to Micheal Bay movies, cause the only way anyone would recommend one of THOSE is is they were getting paid to do so.
    And that's what you call a very good post!
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

MLMers are notorious for trying all the tricks of the trade to get you into their business. The fact is, most are so called business owners who not know the fogggiest thing about building a business in any shape or fashion. They are just SOOOO excited to be here! Give me a break, and just go get a job. Leave the profession to the professionals.
    The Scam Reporter

I equate these types to the automated phone dialing systems, you know, the ones that make calls to number on the DNC FTC.GOV list? I hate these people above all MLMers as they are the worst.
    The Scam Reporter

James R is offline I'm no crook...my upline told me to do it! User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    YAWN!!!!!!
    YAWN? Really?

You looked pretty hyped up for your convention....back in the day. Look at that big grin!

Did you make your way to the tools table or did you just settle on the photo op?

Did you have to pay for the pic?
    Excited about Nopalea Cactus Juice? Learn how to make your own for FREE!
    Don't be another "$50 a bottle" sucker....best of all you know exaclty what's in it. Click HERE.

Here's a good one....
    "That's why I changed my 'story'".
    Where else can you find this nonsense besides here?

Who's the grinning leprechaun you're standing with? Did he tell you where to find the next Pot'O'Gold?

:judges:
    :
    Who's running this popcorn stand anyway? :zx11pissed:

Quote Originally Posted by PaulReardon View Post
    btw it should be noted that I don't agree with the "business within the business" practice, which is one major thing I'm glad about within Seacret (the Network Marketing Company I'm with). That aside, while I don't agree with it... I understand it. More over, I don't condemn it even though I certainly don't condone it.
    My problem with it is that:
    A) The leaders don't tell you how much they are making off of your purchase.
    B) The leaders tell you over and over how if you want to be successful you need to buy their motivational cd's, books etc. The pressure to buy this stuff is very big because you want to be successful, don't you?

The leaders push all of these conventions even though most people legitimately cannot make them. Also, who the hell are the leaders to tell you that you have to fork over hundreds or thousands of dollars for a convention or books when you haven't even seen a dime in profit?

Another thing: Chris and Ohein, I didn't ask your opinion because you have nothing worthwhile to say.

My problem with it is that:
    A) The leaders don't tell you how much they are making off of your purchase.
    B) The leaders tell you over and over how if you want to be successful you need to buy their motivational cd's, books etc. The pressure to buy this stuff is very big because you want to be successful, don't you?

The leaders push all of these conventions even though most people legitimately cannot make them. Also, who the hell are the leaders to tell you that you have to fork over hundreds or thousands of dollars for a convention or books when you haven't even seen a dime in profit?

Another thing: Chris and Ohein, I didn't ask your opinion because you have nothing worthwhile to say.

We never ask your opinion but you still give it...... that's what forums are about......like it or leave.

Its quite simple, if you don't like conventions don't go. Leave them for people who want to go.

Jeez, you people should go live in a communist country and leave the rest of us to have choices.

I never had the displeasure of going to a convention per se, but I went to some larger meetings which were essentially the same thing.You know, the ones where they make the person who brought you pay to get you in. You'd think if someone new was willing to entertain the business op, that at least they'd let you in for free. But that's MLMrs for ya', always trying to nickel and dime you before you go on about your way.
    There is not one woman on this planet capable of finishing an entire can of soda.

Quote Originally Posted by needs2stop View Post
    I never had the displeasure of going to a convention per se, but I went to some larger meetings which were essentially the same thing.You know, the ones where they make the person who brought you pay to get you in. You'd think if someone new was willing to entertain the business op, that at least they'd let you in for free. But that's MLMrs for ya', always trying to nickel and dime you before you go on about your way.
    Your attitude is why you and business is not a good mix. MLM is a business, you have to pay for certain things to build your business, otherwise, who else is going to pay for them. Stay an employee, your mind is better suited for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Its quite simple, if you don't like conventions don't go. Leave them for people who want to go.

Jeez, you people should go live in a communist country and leave the rest of us to have choices.
    Chris your reading comprehension skills suck.

I never said anything should be illegal. I'm just pointing out the garbage that's going on in a lot of MLM's. If you don't like that then leave.

Why the f are you on this thread if you have nothing to contribute?