+ Reply to Thread

In Memory of Davy Jones

Singer Davy Jones of The Monkees has died of a heart attack at 66, the medical examiner's office in Martin County, Fla., has confirmed to NBC News.
    The news was originally reported by TMZ .
    Jones was most famous for his role in the pop group The Monkees, which was put together in 1965 for the TV show of the same name. Their hits included "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville," "I'm a Believer," and "Pleasant Valley Sunday." They also charted with the theme song from the show.
    In 2008, Yahoo Music named him the top teen idol of all time.
    After "The Monkees" disbanded in 1971, Jones sang solo as well as with various reincarnations of the group.
    He also acted on stage and screen, with his most famous TV appearance as himself on "The Brady Bunch," in an episode where Marcia Brady was the president of his fan club and tried to get the singer to appear at her school dance. He also played the Artful Dodger as a child and Fagin in "Oliver!" on Broadway.
    Recently, he played himself on an episode of "Sponge Bob Square Pants."

Last edited by EvilZoe; 02-29-2012 at 12:43 PM.
    :mxmas:

"The one thing women don't want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning is their husband." ~ Joan Rivers

LogicallyYours is offline Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings. User Rank

Re: In Memory of Davy Jones

Damn!...I can remember,as a kid, watching that show and my older sister going nuts over the Monkees.

Shame.
    "Religion is a heavy suitcase: all you have to do is put it down."
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    "I have read the bible...more than once. I was not impressed nor was I so moved to give up my ability to think for myself and surrender my knowledge of facts for the unfounded belief in a mythical sky-fairy." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilZoe View Post
    Singer Davy Jones of The Monkees has died of a heart attack at 66, the medical examiner's office in Martin County, Fla., has confirmed to NBC News.
    The news was originally reported by TMZ .
    Jones was most famous for his role in the pop group The Monkees, which was put together in 1965 for the TV show of the same name. Their hits included "Daydream Believer," "Last Train to Clarksville," "I'm a Believer," and "Pleasant Valley Sunday." They also charted with the theme song from the show.
    In 2008, Yahoo Music named him the top teen idol of all time.
    After "The Monkees" disbanded in 1971, Jones sang solo as well as with various reincarnations of the group.
    He also acted on stage and screen, with his most famous TV appearance as himself on "The Brady Bunch," in an episode where Marcia Brady was the president of his fan club and tried to get the singer to appear at her school dance. He also played the Artful Dodger as a child and Fagin in "Oliver!" on Broadway.
    Recently, he played himself on an episode of "Sponge Bob Square Pants."

Nice song.

Sorry to hear he has died so young.
    You just don't know when you may leave this world.

I am grateful for every day I am still here.

I came back to say

I realize to many 66 is not young. I feel it is way to soon to go.
    Last edited by Tulip; 02-29-2012 at 01:04 PM.

Although I'm quite a bit younger than 66, I don't feel he was old at all.
    Especially these days! Even so, age didn't kill him. A heart attack can take down anyone.

I used to watch The Monkees when I was a kid. Back in the day, of 3 local channels. TV reception depended on how good was the antenna on the roof.

My late Dad was a Ham Radio enthusiast. A decent radio or TV antenna was no problem.
    Get up on the roof and turn the tv antenna. We later upgraded to an indoor antenna rotor - could turn the antenna from the comfort of the living room. We had the technology!

Sad news today triggered a happy childhood memory.

"Wag more, bark less."

Davy Jones probably looked younger because he was of small stature.
    He was 5'3" tall.

He trained to be a Jockey. Enjoyed horse racing and regretted not sticking with it.

Horse racing

Jones was a keen horse owner and rider. Training as a jockey in his teens, Jones later said "I made one huge mistake. When The Monkees finished in 196970, I should have got away from Hollywood and got back into the racing game. Instead I waited another 10 years. Everyone makes mistakes in life and for me that was the biggest."[14] He held an amateur rider's licence and rode in his first race at Newbury for trainer Toby Balding. On 1 February 1996 he won his first race, on Digpast, in the one-mile Ontario Amateur Riders' Handicap at Lingfield. [14] Jones also had horse ownership interests in both the USA and the United Kingdom and was the representative for a racecourse in Virginia.[1
    Last edited by Tulip; 03-01-2012 at 04:07 PM.