+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hotel Scam

Hotel Scam

I have come across a new scam targeting Hotels, Motels, Bed and Breakfasts, and small single owner businesses.
    Someone will contact you claiming to want a room for 6 or more people for 5 to 10 days. They will most likely be from England or another English Speaking country. They will tell you they are a Christian Group coming to a conference in the area and need the rooms. You will put the rooms aside and THEN they will tell you that the booking agent, travel agent will need to send YOU the check for the trip, could you forward the rest of the money for their tickets to them via Western Union.
    They will send you a check for several thousand dollars, asking you to send the rest on.. The Certified Check, is a forgery, or stolen.
    They have tried this with several bed and breakfasts and fishing guides.. (I will also post a scam going around to fishing guides)
    IF you know a person who owns a small hotel or bed and breakfast tell them to beware of any one out of the US taking rooms for a long period of time.
    FishingGuide

Re: Hotel Scam

Quote Originally Posted by FishingGuide
    I have come across a new scam targeting Hotels, Motels, Bed and Breakfasts, and small single owner businesses.
    Someone will contact you claiming to want a room for 6 or more people for 5 to 10 days. They will most likely be from England or another English Speaking country. They will tell you they are a Christian Group coming to a conference in the area and need the rooms. You will put the rooms aside and THEN they will tell you that the booking agent, travel agent will need to send YOU the check for the trip, could you forward the rest of the money for their tickets to them via Western Union.
    They will send you a check for several thousand dollars, asking you to send the rest on.. The Certified Check, is a forgery, or stolen.
    They have tried this with several bed and breakfasts and fishing guides.. (I will also post a scam going around to fishing guides)
    IF you know a person who owns a small hotel or bed and breakfast tell them to beware of any one out of the US taking rooms for a long period of time.
    FishingGuide
    Thanks for the advice. A friend runs a b&b, so cheers, much appreciated.

We keep getting versions of this scam at our B7B. And some of them actually want you to send it to thier company and then cancell the check after they get the money. It will show that the check is AVAILIBLE in your account, but when it shows that it takes 2 weeks to acctually be available. And by then they have cancelled and got YOUR money. Thank for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by riverpine View Post
    We keep getting versions of this scam at our B7B. And some of them actually want you to send it to thier company and then cancell the check after they get the money. It will show that the check is AVAILIBLE in your account, but when it shows that it takes 2 weeks to acctually be available. And by then they have cancelled and got YOUR money. Thank for posting this.
    I am doing a daily update on what scams are popular on a daily basis and the targets. I also have a website about Scams.
    http://scamsdaily.wordpress.com/
    http://www.scam-email.com

5. 04-07-2009, 10:14 AM

our small hotel has had two attempts of this scam now, we get an email claiming to be a secretary enquiring to book several rroms for a group of priests, or for a conference - very long winded emails - then when i replied with the rates etc they start asking if we have a credit card machine which we could charge 5000 to then give cash to the 'translator' or 'organiser' who will be accompanying them - as they are coming from abroad and do not have valid bank cards etc. all sounds great when they are offering you almost double your rates - but it is obviously suspect and under no circumstances should you agree to this!! its soon obvious anyway when you say no to their 'kind request; and you never hear from them again. idiots. :2gunsfiring_v1:

Another variation is when the scammer has sent the check for the exact amount but an accident has occured and one or more of the group has been injured/killed and can't make the trip so the scammer wants you to refund all or part of then money via Western Union.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Quote Originally Posted by riverpine View Post
    I run a small hotel in Mexico. Almost on a weekly basis, I get an inquiry worded in almost the same manner.
    This person wants to book 3 rooms for 10 days. All of the names provided are first names, ie Mr. Harry James, Mrs. Martha Diana, Ms. Mary Joan. They ask if we accept credit cards.
    If we reply, they then say that they will allow us to charge, say, $5000 to their card but we are then to pay the balance to others for tours, rental cars, etc.
    They never tell us where they are from but the English is poor...it could be Carribean or Nigerian. Who knows but it isn't England.
    I've gotten used to it and now tell them to go screw themselves. Not worried that I will offend a real customer because the emails are so easy to identify from the real thing.

9. 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Reason
    spam

10. 05-15-2010, 12:36 AM

Reason
    Spam, again.

LOL! We just got hit up with something very similar last month. It felt like a scam from the beginning. Beware people!

Message-ID: <1310859370.14487.YahooMailNeo@web122515.mail.ne1.y ahoo.com>
    Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 16:36:10 -0700 (PDT)
    Reply-To: John Smart
    Subject: ***SPAM*** ACCOMMODATION NEEDED!!!
    To: undisclosed recipients: ;

Hello,

We are visiting your city during our per-season tour and we will need to make reservation ,we will need 4 singles rooms or 2 double rooms for 4 person from 15th of September to
    30th of September 2011,that is 14 nights.Please calculate the total cost for the 4 singles rooms or 2 double rooms for 14 nights.Please get back to me ** email with the total cost so that we can consider the reservation and make the payment available to you immediately because we have all preparations.

Please note that we planned to come as scheduled,we will be expecting your email with the total cost.
    Thanks.
    Mr.John Smart
    Last edited by scamexample; 07-16-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Thanks!!
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com