+ Reply to Thread

Au Revoir, Freedom Fries

Oh gee. This isn't going to please a lot of neocons here who had a high time of it bashing France for not supporting the war with Iraq. NOW we need to rely on France to help stop the war in Lebannon. I wonder if France is going to feel the need to aide the U.S. with that problem?

Au Revoir, Freedom Fries

When Congress renamed the French fries sold in its cafeterias “freedom fries” before the Iraq war, Bob Ney, whose position as House Administration Committee chairman put him in charge of the cafeterias, said the change registered “the strong displeasure of many on Capitol Hill with the actions of our so-called ally, France.” In the real world, it mainly allowed people to register their strong displeasure at how juvenile Congress was being.

In the last few weeks, as The Washington Times reported, Congress has quietly changed the name back. We could think of many good reasons for the move. “Freedom fries,” like the “mission accomplished” banner that President Bush stood in front of a few months later, is now a stale relic of a naïve time, when the war’s supporters were convinced that Iraqis would be free right after they finished greeting their liberators with rose petals.

The renaming also was the embodiment of President Bush’s my-way-or-the-highway diplomacy. A French Embassy spokeswoman gamely told The Associated Press at the time that “we are at a very serious moment dealing with very serious issues, and we are not focusing on the name you give to potatoes.” But “freedom fries” was intended to be, and was, a poke in France’s eye. Harassing the French is probably not the wisest course now that America may need their help negotiating a ceasefire in Lebanon.

We would like to think that such sound policy reasons — or just that “freedom fries” was so incredibly stupid — account for the change. But the real reason appears to be that Mr. Ney was forced to give up his chairmanship of the committee because of his extensive ties to the disgraced lobbyist Jack Abramoff. The current chairman, Vernon Ehlers of Michigan, seems more sensible about both intergovernmental affairs and cafeteria management.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/04/op...html?th&emc=th

Re: Au Revoir, Freedom Fries

I remember when Republicans Walter Jones and Bob Ney appeared in a clip on CNN in 2003 showing their new menu. I also remember the childish arrogance these two exhibited in the face of some very difficult times. It turned out it was just another example of how out of touch the Republicans were with the real world, and still are.
    Maybe if these repugs had made better use of their time than to think up childish word games we wouldn't be in this world of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by UserName
    I remember when Republicans Walter Jones and Bob Ney appeared in a clip on CNN in 2003 showing their new menu. I also remember the childish arrogance these two exhibited in the face of some very difficult times. It turned out it was just another example of how out of touch the Republicans were with the real world, and still are.
    Maybe if these repugs had made better use of their time than to think up childish word games we wouldn't be in this world of crap.

That's pretty funny. The quiet dumping of "Freedom Fries and Toast" met with zero fanfare, for obvious reasons. The other petty, self promoting little a s s-swipe, Jones - Rethuglican from NC, subsequently did a complete 180 on the issue and is now calling for a complete withdrawal of troops from Iraq. They should be a bit more genuine, though, and resort to Fascist Fries instead.

The only thing that boycotting French products did was make it a bit harder for the local wine and liquor merchant or restauranteur on Main Street, who has probably never been to France, to make ends meet.

The hijinx of these brain-dead pro-war Monkey idiots never ceases to make me laugh.
    Last edited by dchristie; 08-04-2006 at 07:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie
    The hijinx of these brain-dead pro-war Monkey idiots never ceases to make me laugh.
    LOL... looks like the Repugs have decided not to "stay the course" and have instead decided to "cut and run". These twits would be funny if they weren't so desperately sad.

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by UserName

i really beleive they think its a game of Risk (what a great board game) where all you have to do is invade and take over, and then boom, you have won. Invading is probably 1/10th the battle, as all the problems come out in trying to maintain a democracy in an arab world where everyone hates one another to the point where they are willing to plant bombs in a childrens soccer stadium just to be heard.

theres way more to think about when you choose to engage in a "Regime Change", unfortunately for the US, all our current administration thinks about is "shock and awe".