+ Reply to Thread

End game between Israel and Hezbollah

End game between Israel and Hezbollah

By Gwynne Dyer

08/02/06 "Metro West Daily News" --- The kill ratio is becoming a problem: Israel has been killing about 40 Lebanese civilians for every Israel civilian who is killed. They are all being killed by accident, of course, but such a long chain of accidents begins to look like carelessness, and even in Israel and the United States many people are getting uneasy about the slaughter. Elsewhere, the revulsion at what is happening is almost universal, and the death of so many women and children at Qana has greatly intensified the pressure on Israel and its de facto allies, the United States and Britain, to stop the war.

They are already making tactical concessions to lessen the pressure. Israel "partially suspended" its bombardment of Lebanon for 48 hours, and U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice promised to let the United Nations Security Council consider a resolution calling for a cease-fire this week. But Israel's generals still want another 10 days to two weeks of war to batter Hezbollah into submission, and neither Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert or his loyal allies in Washington and London are really willing to override them yet.

Israeli Defence Minister Amir Peretz told parliament on Monday that Israel cannot accept a cease-fire now, since if it did so then "the extremists (Hezbollah) will rear their heads again." The U.S. and British governments have to dodge and weave a bit as doubts grow at home about the morality and feasibility of Israel's actions, but they can certainly arrange for the Security Council resolution to fail this week.

The real trick, in te.rms of keeping American and British public opinion on side, is to blur the sequence of events that led to the war and present it as a desperate Israeli struggle against an unprovoked onslaught by thousands of terrorist rockets. As Prime Minister Tony Blair told the BBC, "It cannot be that Israel stops taking the action it's taking but Hezbollah continue to kill, kidnap, and launch rockets into the north of Israel at the civilian population there."

The Web site of the Israel Ministry of Foreign Affairs goes further, claiming that the operation in which Hezbollah captured two Israeli soldiers and killed three others and the rain of Hezbollah rockets on Israeli cities were "simultaneous." Obviously, these are mad terrorists who must be removed from Israel's border at once by any means possible. But unless "simultaneous" means "on the following day" in Hebrew, the Web site is deliberately distorting what happened.

There WAS an unprovoked Hezbollah attack on the Israeli army on July 12, seeking to kidnap soldiers who could be held as hostages and eventually exchanged for Lebanese prisoners who have been illegally held in Israel since the latter ended its 18-year military occupation of southern Lebanon in 2000. And no doubt the reason Israel held onto those prisoners in the first place was to have them as hostages in some future prisoner exchange with Hezbollah. That's how the game is played locally.

In the course of grabbing the Israeli hostages on July 12, Hezbollah fired rockets and mortars at the northern Israeli town of Shlomi as a diversion, but nobody was hurt there. And apart from that, NO Hezbollah missiles struck Israel that day. Indeed, none had been fired at Israel for at least four years, although there were regular skirmishes between Israeli soldiers and Hezbollah fighters along the frontier. Hezbollah had the rockets, but they were not mad terrorists.

During the following 24 hours, however, Israel launched massive air strikes and artillery bombardments the length and breadth of Lebanon, striking Beirut airport, Lebanese air force bases, the Beirut-Damascus highway, a power station, and all sorts of other non-Hezbollah targets and killing many civilians. And it was only on July 13 that Hezbollah rockets begin to hit cities all across northern Israel.

Nobody has clean hands here. Israel seized on the kidnap operation as the pre for a massive onslaught aimed at destroying Hezbollah's resources and removing it from southern Lebanon -- a perfectly legitimate goal, in line with United Nations resolution 1559, but not one that the UN had envisaged as being accomplished by Israeli bombs. Hezbollah may just have been trying to raise its profile in Lebanon and the wider Arab world with a small but successful operation that humiliated the Israelis -- or it may have foreseen the likelihood of a massive Israeli over-reaction, and calculated that it could ride it out and win from it.

Whether that was its intention or not, it probably will ride it out and win. Having fired at least 90 missiles at Israeli cities every day but two since the war began -- though they only kill an average of one Israeli a day -- Hezbollah launched only two rockets on Monday (probably a crew that didn't get the message to stop in time). If there should be a cease-fire in the next week, it will emerge the victor, since no international peacekeeping force is going to fight the kind of campaign that would be required to dig it and its weapons out of south Lebanon's hills and villages.

And if there is no cease-fire, then the Israeli Defense Force will be granted a further opportunity to demonstrate that it cannot do so either. At least, not at a cost in Israeli soldiers' lives that would be remotely acceptable to the Israeli public.

Gwynne Dyer is a London-based independent journalist whose articles are published in 45 countries.

© Copyright of GateHouse Media and Herald Interactive, Inc.
    Last edited by Americanadian; 08-04-2006 at 05:19 AM.

Re: End game between Israel and Hezbollah

Do you really think anyone is swayed by this garbage?

Reveal yourself.
    Last edited by linda49; 08-05-2006 at 09:42 AM.

i dont CARE what anyone else has said in this thread......but i do have THIS to say about THIS conflict....it is definately INTERESTING,as far as it goes,the WAY, that BOTH sides are TALKING to the PRESS!?hehe!!it's AS IF they are CallING OUT to a HIGHER power to answer THEIR predicament!?not in a SUBJECTIVE way of course........and if you TAKE all the NEWS in general these days....you see a STRANGE kinda I'M RIGHT in my OWN ways TYPE of ATTITUDE AFLOAT!?(even here!?)so i ask......what does this MEAN!?and where is it GOING!?hehe!!just askin......

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    Do you really think anyone is swayed by this garbage?

Reveal yourself.
    Obviously you are offended by something.

What went through your mind when the "attempted terrorist plot" was foiled in Canada?
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by Americanadian
    Obviously you are offended by something.
    What went through your mind when the "attempted terrorist plot" was foiled in Canada?
    Which, of the many terrorist plots, are you refering to? I think my reaction is the same as any reasonable person - I live in fear for the safety of my children and my family, just as millions of other mothers and fathers. What goes through your mind when Canadian/American soldiers and peacekeepers die? It's a travesty that young men and women are being killed. Their sacrifice is ultimate - How do you justify your life?

I'm not offended - just calling a spade "a spade". You seem to have an agenda.

Perhaps, I should just ask you the meaning of your username, politely.

Which, of the many terrorist plots, are you refering to? I think my reaction is the same as any reasonable person - I live in fear for the safety of my children and my family, just as millions of other mothers and fathers. What goes through your mind when Canadian/American soldiers and peacekeepers die? It's a travesty that young men and women are being killed. Their sacrifice is ultimate - How do you justify your life?

And what agenda would that be?

There are many terrorist plots that are permitted to transpire by the government as well. This allows them to garner more control over the people. When people live in fear, they are willing to sacrifice their liberties, just to "feel safe". One needs to recognize that they have to rely on themselves for true protection, as we cannot even trust the ones we elect to protect us. The government many times endeavor to secure more control of the people. Consider the control government and corporations exert in North America.

Heat/Electricity
    Food (grocery stores)
    Fuel
    Shelter (rent or mortgage)

That small list could be revoked to unconforming individuals if enough power is granted to the government. We are viewing the tip of the iceberg presently. Think if a person is unwilling to heed the call to conform, getting kicked out with no survival skills, no shelter, no food and left to re-think their position. Mind you, some people would bend if their credit was frozen, or threatened with loss of their SUV.

Society has been molded to depend on the government and big corporations that supply the wants and needs of North America. If all this were to change, from whatever events transpire, each one of us will be forced to make decisions based on the will to survive and not based on what we want from McDonalds.

I already stated what my username stood for...dual citizenship.
    franKg - "Since God was ok with Moses, Joshua and David burning cities to the ground and killing all the civilians I think he would be ok with us splashing a little water on some terrorists."

Dr poormouth - "Exackly;
    It's not "waterboarding", it's "extraordinary baptism""

Quote Originally Posted by carlbenator
    As discussed in a previous thread, this IRRATIONAL HATRED for the Jews and their RIGHT to SURVIVE is one of the many PROOFS of a God, AND a Devil.

this begs the POLITICAL inSpired!/question.....me and MINE vrs they and THEM!?hehe!!WHO has to GO and WHY!?.......and this,you propose,is an EXCUSE to be AFRAID!?sounds LIKE a JEW in DISGUISE!?no god,no christ,all fear!?hehe!!just askin .......by the way...can we DO lunch over this issue!?hehe!!just askin...

TheWorker Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Americanadian
    And what agenda would that be?

There are many terrorist plots that are permitted to transpire by the government as well. This allows them to garner more control over the people. When people live in fear, they are willing to sacrifice their liberties, just to "feel safe". One needs to recognize that they have to rely on themselves for true protection, as we cannot even trust the ones we elect to protect us. The government many times endeavor to secure more control of the people. Consider the control government and corporations exert in North America.

Heat/Electricity
    Food (grocery stores)
    Fuel
    Shelter (rent or mortgage)

That small list could be revoked to unconforming individuals if enough power is granted to the government. We are viewing the tip of the iceberg presently. Think if a person is unwilling to heed the call to conform, getting kicked out with no survival skills, no shelter, no food and left to re-think their position. Mind you, some people would bend if their credit was frozen, or threatened with loss of their SUV.

Society has been molded to depend on the government and big corporations that supply the wants and needs of North America. If all this were to change, from whatever events transpire, each one of us will be forced to make decisions based on the will to survive and not based on what we want from McDonalds.

I already stated what my username stood for...dual citizenship.
    what does any of this have to do with why you posted this thread????

are you saying Israel let said "hey lets forget about the constant rocket attacks over the past few years, maybewe need MORE of a reason to stop hezbollah, lets let them kidnap our soldiers"

Doesn't anyone else notice that every one that dies in Lebanon is a civilian? Where are all the dead terrorists? If 1000 Lebanese have dies and 600 of them were terrorist, then only 400 civilians have died. I am in no way saying that is a good thing, or even ok, just saying that perhaps over half of the dead are really terrorists. They don’t wear uniforms, so once their dead they look like civilians. :confused:

Worried - My son said exactly that just this morning. We agree completely - something is not right about the stats.

Lexx - Lunch would be lovely!