+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Computer question

I just got a new HP All In One Touch Smart Computer Wireless hooked up and running.

I had a Dell HP with a tower that was connected to AT&T high speed wireless.
    The computer was hooked up to the AT&T modem along with phone jacks connected to my printer so I could fax.

The computer died. I left everything plugged into the tower and My new computer works with the internet because it is wireless.

I wanted to get rid of my old computer tower and I didn't know if I could unplug everything without messing up my internet connection.
    Kept thinking about it and unplugged everything because I didn't understand how it was working with a dead computer.

As soon as I unplugged everything I realized I only have one phone jack like connection on my new computer. So I plugged in one of the cords from the AT&T modem but still had another that needed plugged in and also no place for the phone jack for a fax.

I'm so confused.

I had no dial tone on my phone and no internet access.

So I hooked it all back up to my dead computer and it is all working again. Accept of course not the fax.

I tried to look this up online and the best I am doing is

My new computer has no modem and I would have to buy a modem with a phone jack and also maybe a different AT&T modem????

Can someone help me? I hate talking to computer techs over the phone.

Re: Computer question

I'm trying to picture your setup. It's a little harder for me to picture because of the printer/fax thing.

It should be the modem connected to the wall plug with a cable that used to plug into the tower, right? How many cables does the modem have and how many phone-looking jacks? Or better yet, can you tell me the make and model of the modem? That way I could look it up online.

It seems to me that you should only have to disconnect the cable that led from the modem to the tower, but if it was set up in sequence with the printer and the fax, we'll have to figure out another way.

Is there a way you can tell me exactly how each component is linked to each other and the wall when it's connected to the tower?

Sorry for all the questions.
    :mxmas:

"The one thing women don't want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning is their husband." ~ Joan Rivers

I was just thinking....if the printer/fax was connected through the tower, couldn't you just unplug the cable that links the modem to the tower and then plug it into the printer/fax, thus just removing the tower from the chain?

"The one thing women don't want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning is their husband." ~ Joan Rivers

No it's ok I understand why you are asking.

I have no idea what the make and model is of my AT&T modem. When the guy hooked it up we had a list of my passwords and the number on the back of the modem so that I could reconnect the modem. I had to use that number to get the wireless connection to work.

The AT&T modem has a yellow cable that connects to a phone jack like connection on my computer. Two cables going from the modem to the connector that takes two plugs and then hooks into the phone jack with one plug. Then we have the cord with a phone jack going into the computer and the printer that lets the fax work.

When I plugged the yellow cable going from the modem to the computer into my computer the internet still worked.

That is the only connection in the new computer to plug a phne jack like connection in.

We have two cables coming from the modem that plug into a connector with two phone jacks that plug into the wall phone jack connection.

But when I unplug the two phone jack connections from my tower computer that are connecting the printer with the phone jack and computer I am undoing my internet connection and also my dial tone.

So my problem is undoing everything to throw the tower away.

My interent connection works when just the yellow cable is moved to my new computer. It's the phone cords that I was using to my computer and printer so that my fax worked that is causing the problem.

I am thinking you have to have a modem in your computer to have a printer, fax connection to your phone jack. Like the old dial up modem.

So I thought maybe with this new computer I would have to buy a new AT&T modem or maybe a modem with a phone jack that would hook up to my new computer.

It's the connection through the computer from my printer to the phone jack that is causing the problem and no phone jack on my new computer to plug it into.

I thought when I plugged the yellow cord into my new computer all was fine. I didn't think dis connecting the phone cord to the printer and computer would cause it all to stop working.

Maybe when I think about it some more it will make sense to me.

Hmmmm. I wish I had a diagram of your setup with the tower included. It would be much easier to work out.

I wonder if your tower was working as a router (not real clear on the validity of that -- too early in the day for me to think it through...lol) because your new computer picked up the signal when the tower was connected.

Guh! I've set this up more than a few times but not recently...lol

If your new computer is wireless and can pick up the signal, you shouldn't have to plug it into anything to keep it working. Of course, if it was picking up the signal, something must be working as a router to broadcast the signal.

The printer/fax is obviously not wireless so it requires being connected to either a phone jack directly or....GAH! my brain hurts...lol

It's the phone cord going from my phone into the computer and printer that I don't know how to hook up so it all will work.

No phone jack on my new computer to plug it into.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilZoe View Post
    Hmmmm. I wish I had a diagram of your setup with the tower included. It would be much easier to work out.

I wonder if your tower was working as a router (not real clear on the validity of that -- too early in the day for me to think it through...lol) because your new computer picked up the signal when the tower was connected.

Guh! I've set this up more than a few times but not recently...lol

If your new computer is wireless and can pick up the signal, you shouldn't have to plug it into anything to keep it working. Of course, if it was picking up the signal, something must be working as a router to broadcast the signal.

The printer/fax is obviously not wireless so it requires being connected to either a phone jack directly or....GAH! my brain hurts...lol
    Yes
    that is how I was thinking about this.

I thought probably I could dis connect everything from the old computer and it would work because it is wireless.

I want to understand how this all works and also I wanted to get rid of the old tower.

I'll keep reading online. Maybe I'll get this figured out or maybe someone will read this and know what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    It's the phone cord going from my phone into the computer and printer that I don't know how to hook up so it all will work.

No phone jack on my new computer to plug it into.
    Is the printer and fax all one unit?

Is the printer and fax all one unit?
    Yes
    It's an all in one by Hewlett Packard and my new computer is Hewlett Packard.

Yes
    It's an all in one by Hewlett Packard and my new computer is Hewlett Packard.
    You shouldn't have to plug in a phone line to your new computer at all. The phone cord should plug into the printer/fax.

Then, printing from the computer will still be an issue. If you don't have a separate cable that has ends that fits both the printer and the new computer, you'll have to see if it's feasible to get a wireless adapter for your printer/fax.

I still can't get a handle on how your new computer is picking up your signal unless it is plugged directly into your modem. If it DOES need to be directly plugged in, it should work with a cable from the modem to the computer, possibly with a cable from the connected printer to the computer.

If it DOESN'T need to be directly plugged into the modem, then something is broadcasting your signal and I can't figure out what it is if it isn't a router.

The internet modem is using the phone line so the computer must have to be connected to the phone line even if it is wireless.

I think I may need to buy a new AT&T modem. I noticed they are selling something now they call WIFI. My modem is three years old and maybe to old.

Also maybe buying a modem you connect to my new computer with a phone jack would work.

The internet modem is using the phone line so the computer must have to be connected to the phone line even if it is wireless.

I think I may need to buy a new AT&T modem. I noticed they are selling something now they call WIFI. My modem is three years old and maybe to old.

Also maybe buying a modem you connect to my new computer with a phone jack would work.
    At no point here did I mean for the modem to be disconnected from the wall jack. That is the main connection to your access point. Your modem should be fine.

You might, however, need to buy a router that would send the signal with no cables to any wireless devices you might use in your home.

Ok I looked at all f this again, I had it wrong.

I have the tlephone cord connected to the printer and the computer disconnected and everything still works.
    So that would have been for the fax and the fax will not work but I'm not concerned with that right now.

There are two cords going from my computer to the connection on the phone jack. One yellow cord going from my computer to the modem.

When I plug the yellow cord going from the modem into my new computer all works. When I disconnect the two cords from my computer going to the phone jack it takes the dial tone away and the connection to the internet.

There are no phone jacks to plug these two cords into on my new computer.

What's the model number of your Touchsmart? That way I can take a look at it.

Also, look at your modem and tell me how many cable ports there are.

If you can, tell me the model number of your printer/fax, too, and/or how many cable ports are on the back of that.

I really HATE working blind....lol I'm MUCH quicker when I can see what I'm doing.
    Last edited by EvilZoe; 01-07-2012 at 04:04 PM.

At no point here did I mean for the modem to be disconnected from the wall jack. That is the main connection to your access point. Your modem should be fine.

You might, however, need to buy a router that would send the signal with no cables to any wireless devices you might use in your home.
    Ok

I will give this one more shot.

I had to get all of the cords unwound.

To say the least I was flustered earlier.

The yellow cord is connected to my old computer and the modem. When I connected this yellow cord to my new computer all went fine.

A gray cord going from the modem to the phone jack.

A black cord going from the computer to the phone jack.

My telephone with a cord going to the computer's phone jack.

So my phone connection is going through the old computer.

The black cord is connected to the old computer to the phone jack. This black cord must be something the AT&T person connected when they hooked up the internet connection. It's like a phone cord but not connected to the phone but does connect to phone jack connections.

Shit, there's a phone in there, too? LOL

Okey doke. Gimme a few.