+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wacko Santorum's Bizarre & Creepy Dead Baby Ritual

Trust me. If this ing lunatic were to ever get his bloody hands on the US Military, there would be more dead babies around than anybody could ever count.

Rick Santorum’s Dead-Baby Ritual

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...y-ritual0.html

Fox News contributor Alan Colmes brought Rick Santorum and his wife to tears Monday when he criticized their unusual reaction to the death of their infant son, Gabriel, in 1996. The Santorums brought the baby home with them after he lived only a couple of hours.

In discussing the events, Colmes said that they "played with it for a couple of hours so his other children would know that the child was real." Santorum and his wife both broke down sobbing when asked to respond, and, amid a storm of conservative outrage, Colmes called them to apologize for his “hurtful comment.”

Even if you think Colmes crossed the line, you have to admit the Santorums taking their dead child home to be “introduced” to their three living children is pretty bizarre.

"The best case against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"
    -- Winston Churchill

Re: Wacko Santorum's Bizarre & Creepy Dead Baby Ri

I'd heard about this before and while I admit it's very unorthodox, I can understand them wanting to bring closure to the whole family.

When my daughter of my first set of twins was born dead, it really helped me to hold her and see her. She was beautiful, even in death.

But geez, the WAY unfortunate wording he used to describe what they did, "played with it for a couple of hours," really conveys a completely different scenario than what could be understood by most people.

Played with "IT"? "PLAYED"?

That whole discussion could have been handled SO much better. SHOULD have been.

WTF were they thinking?
    :mxmas:

"The one thing women don't want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning is their husband." ~ Joan Rivers

In the article you just posted it says Santorum is against birth control but I just listened to him in an interview and he said he was not against birth control for anyone who wants to use it.

I was reading about Romney and how he was pro choice and now he is pro life but I read he is in favor of abortion for incest, rape and saving the life of the mother. I read the candidates are attacking Romney for flip flopping but then I read Santorum is against all abortion. I just posted in another thread, where he said he was for abortion when it involved rape, incest or saving the life of a mother.
    What's the truth?

I have no idea how these candidates feel about some of the issues being discussed.

Very unusual to choose to bring your child home that had just died and it seems the hospital would not have allowed that to happen. I would think it would be against the law.

Who knows what the truth is anymore when talking about the politicians.

Well the story is true.
    It just leaves me sad but that's all I feel right now. Not that it's strange or weird it just makes me sad.

Personal life

Santorum and his wife, Karen Garver Santorum, have six living children. Karen Santorum was a neonatal intensive care unit nurse for nine years.[137] One child was diagnosed with Edwards syndrome (Trisomy 18), a serious genetic disorder.[138] In 1996, after Karen developed a life-threatening infection, a son, Gabriel, was born prematurely and lived for only two hours.[139] While pregnant, Karen Santorum developed a life-threatening intrauterine infection and a fever that reached nearly 105 degrees. She went into labor when she was 20 weeks pregnant and allowed doctors to give her Pitocin to speed the birth.[140]
    Karen Santorum wrote a book about the experience: Letters to Gabriel: The True Story of Gabriel Michael Santorum.[141] In it, she writes that the couple brought the deceased infant home from the hospital and introduced him to living children as "your brother Gabriel". The anecdote was also written about by Michael Sokolove in a 2005 New York Times Magazine story on Santorum.
    "Rick and Karen Santorum would not let the morgue take the corpse of their newborn; they slept that night in the hospital with their lifeless baby between them. The next day, they took him home. 'Your siblings could not have been more excited about you!' Karen writes in the book, which takes the form of letters to Gabriel, mostly while he is in utero. 'Elizabeth and Johnny held you with so much love and tenderness. Elizabeth proudly announced to everyone as she cuddled you, "This is my baby brother, Gabriel; he is an angel."'"[1]
    How the Santorums handled the death of Gabriel attracted scrutiny in January 2012 after Rick Santorum rose to further national prominence after his strong finish in the Iowa caucuses. That the Santorums took the baby home to their children after his death was variously described as "weird" or even "horrifying"; liberal commentator Alan Colmes personally apologized to the Santorums after he was heavily criticized for claiming on Fox News that they brought the baby home and "played with it so that his other children would know that the child was real." However, mental health experts interviewed by ABC News on the matter said that at the time, 1996, mental health professionals encouraged what the Santorums did to help the grieving process, and that while their response is not recommended today, it can still help grieving couples.[142] p Washington Post columnist Charles Lane wrote a column in defense of the Santorums and revealed that he and his wife had a stillborn child nine years prior and that they both held the deceased baby, named Johnathan, circumcised him, and buried him according to Jewish law. Lane said he regretted not showing the baby's body to his then-six year old son.[143] Lane concluded,
    "I am defending the right of the Santorums and all families to grieve an infant’s death in accordance with their personal needs and beliefs. My plea is for a little more respect regarding the way people deal with loss, and a little more maturity about physical contact with the dead. If that puts me in sympathy, for a moment, with this right-wing politician, so be it. Jonathan’s death was probably the hardest moment of my life. But actually touching his body was a source of comfort and the first step in going on with life. Not weird."[143]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Santorum

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post

Very unusual to choose to bring your child home that had just died and it seems the hospital would not have allowed that to happen. I would think it would be against the law.

Who knows what the truth is anymore when talking about the politicians.
    I think that when you're a politician or you have clout of some sort, you can get more cooperation from entities like hospitals for situations like this.

"The one thing women don't want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning is their husband." ~ Joan Rivers

This is all you have ? Really ?

I am incredulous. You really need to get a life and sort out your priorities, dchristie. Or lay off the drugs. Our economy is in shambles and you are concentrating on a dead baby story from 15 years ago that may be true or a total fabrication for all we know.

Deflect from the important issues, a liberal's stock in trade. It's the only way they can win. Important issues be damned, destroy the character of your opponent. It's Liberal 101. We're not buying it, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by RonaldusMagnus View Post
    This is all you have ? Really ?

I am incredulous. You really need to get a life and sort out your priorities, dchristie. Or lay off the drugs. Our economy is in shambles and you are concentrating on a dead baby story from 15 years ago that may be true or a total fabrication for all we know.

Deflect from the important issues, a liberal's stock in trade. It's the only way they can win. Important issues be damned, destroy the character of your opponent. It's Liberal 101. We're not buying it, bitch.

Our economy is in ruins from Bush's wars and GOP Crimes over a decade. You got that right, ducky.

And you support a guy who's considered one of the main promoters of it all - a guy who's not only an idiot, but a religiously insane freak who takes his wife's miscarriage home from the hospital.

A serial lying hypocrite reputed to be one of the most corrupt politician lobbyists ever to sell out his country and who wants to up the ante on that by starting, yet, another insane war - this time with Iran.

And you question MY priorities?

The day when comments from wackos with the obvious character defects and ethical turpitude of you and your fellow loon-right crackpots is taken seriously by anybody other than your fellow fringe loser right crackpots - especially about my priorities - is the day when Santorum will be elected President.

That ain't ever gonna happen, Sunshine... thank God.

And only a lunatic who's so far gone he believes his own bullshit like you and Santorum would go there.

End of story.... ing nut.
    Last edited by dchristie; 01-07-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    "The best case against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter"
    -- Winston Churchill

ONLY the filthiest f.ucking liberal animals in the country have seen fit to attack this family for their actions during the most difficult time in anyone's life--the death of a child.

And here you are.

Last edited by pwrone; 01-08-2012 at 04:58 PM.
    There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    ONLY the filthiest ing liberal animals in the country have seen fit to attack this family for their actions during the most difficult time in anyone's life--the death of a child.

And here you are.

I didn't attack them. :

Quote Originally Posted by EvilZoe View Post
    I didn't attack them. :
    I noticed!

and apparently we are officially a p.ussy site now, having banned the f-word and other 'bad' words. What is next--arrest for offending someone?

WTF.

and, as always--thanks, libs!

Last edited by pwrone; 01-08-2012 at 05:01 PM.
    There is not a truth existing which I fear
    or would wish unknown to the whole world."
    --Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by pwrone View Post
    ONLY the filthiest f.ucking liberal animals in the country have seen fit to attack this family for their actions during the most difficult time in anyone's life--the death of a child.

And here you are.

I mentioned this to my husband and he told me it is not unusual for parents to take their child, who died, home and also to let the children see they had a baby sister or brother. He said he thought Mormons may do this. They are very family oriented and have a strong religious belief about being born, death and the entire family being together after death. I haven't researched this.

Attacking Santorum for this and making it an issue was pretty darn low. Even worse than what they did to Sarah Palin and her family.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    I mentioned this to my husband and he told me it is not unusual for parents to take their child, who died, home and also to let the children see they had a baby sister or brother. He said he thought Mormons may do this. They are very family oriented and have a strong religious belief about being born, death and the entire family being together after death. I haven't researched this.

Attacking Santorum for this and making it an issue was pretty darn low. Even worse than what they did to Sarah Palin and her family.
    As I said in my earlier post, I think it was the unfortunate wording he used to explain what happened that drew the fire down on his head. It put the whole situation in a completely different light.

I tend to look beyond the wording and try to get an understanding of a situation, but many people don't and just react.

Haha ... Carliekook and his merry band of Monkeys are out of their cages and running amok again.

I knew this would bring them charging out to screech and gibber..

How comical.

Besides being ghoulish and creepy, the act of bringing a dead corpse into your home is disgusting and unsanitary in the extreme.

It's also probably illegal. Cadavers are subject to a very specific and rigorous regimen as to how they're handled and, ultimately, disposed of. Bringing them home for show and tell isn't part of it.

But you know, the law is never a factor when it comes to these eternally whining, bitching and moaning religiously insane right-wing s.hitbags getting their way.

Last edited by dchristie; 01-08-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    -- Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie View Post
    the act of bringing a dead corpse into your home is disgusting and unsanitary in the extreme.

As opposed to bringing a LIVE corpse into your home. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dchristie View Post
    Haha ... Carliekook and his merry band of Monkeys are out of their cages and running amok again.

I knew this would bring them charging out to screech and gibber..

How comical.

Besides being ghoulish and creepy, the act of bringing a dead corpse into your home is disgusting and unsanitary in the extreme.

It's also probably illegal. Cadavers are subject to a very specific and rigorous regimen as to how they're handled and, ultimately, disposed of. Bringing them home for show and tell isn't part of it.

But you know, the law is never a factor when it comes to these eternally whining, bitching and moaning religiously insane right-wing s.hitbags getting their way.

From what I have just read a dead body is basically a health hazard if the body died from a contagious disease.
    Otherwise it would be the deteriorating body and the smell that may be a health hazard. If you only had a healthy dead body for a matter of hours there would be no health risk.

I couldn't find anything about people bringing their dead children home so the family or other siblings could view the body.

I did read the possession of a dead body is up to the state. From what I read, taking a small dead infant home so that your family could view the child, could be something the hospital would be okay with.. Would depend on the circumstances (part of this word must be censored) and like Evilzoe said earlier, who you are.

So after doing a little research I have no idea how uncommon it is to do what the Santorum's did in this case.
    Last edited by Tulip; 01-08-2012 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EvilZoe View Post
    As opposed to bringing a LIVE corpse into your home. ;)
    Ther's a word for that: ZOMBIE! :cwm14:
    However... Doing "odd" things with a dead child isn't anything new...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-mortem_photography
    Who's running this popcorn stand anyway? :zx11pissed: