+ Reply to Thread

Mechanics question

Just how are these scams done?

It's easy to see that they do this, but what I'm wondering is how?

A group of people have stolen checks and fraudulently forge over the signatures and values, have you cash them and keep 10%, and the bank doesn't find out for anywhere between 2 seconds and 2 weeks (it seems that is the buffer).

What I'm wondering is pretty much this:

Did they steal the checks from an actual company? Did they literally break in or just do it on the sly? How the hell did they do both? Did they do something in particular that made it so such an act wasn't reported? Did they just create the checks entirely on their own (ignoring that everyone says they are stolen from actual companies)? The rest from there seems pretty obvious, like they simply posted on craigslist and whatever else, or pulled your resume from a career website, but then where does the check go to after it's sent? A fake address? A fake company? A dummy bank account set up in some 3rd world country with fake ID's, where it is then transfered 20 more times and finally to the accounts of the crooks?

How is all this done?

Give your idea's, theories, or best guess's if you'd like. I'd be more than happy to hear all of them, and not just about this type of scam, but all of them.

The MLM's, the HYIP's, the big time investment ones, the company with a ****ty service but gets away with it, the company that offers NOTHING and gets away with it, etc. All opinions appreciated!

Last edited by Apathy; 07-31-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Re: Mechanics question

you'd be surprised how easy it is to get genuine checks with a phoney number on it. Just take a check you have recieved from a big company, then call a check printer (do a google search, there are thousands of them) and where it asks for a routing number and account number, just copy it from the check you got from 'Fortune 500" company or whatever. That way you get a valid number, and you have genuine counterfiet checks. There's a lot of other variations on this, but you get the gist. One person in an investigation I was involved with did just as I described above, used an account from a company that was set up to pay vendors, got the name of one of the said vendors and found someone in the same city to deposit them. the scam ran 16 months before the company who was paying the checks caught on, but that was a few years ago before check21 regs, it would be much harder to go more than a few weeks with it now.
    If people are looking for real and verified business opportunities....DRF Fund is definitely a program that I can recommend with confidence."

Wanrou

I thought we were trying to discourage fraud ,not endorse it!

I am, but yeah I thought about that and that's partly why I won't go into too much detail. From what I said, you'd still need to do some homework to try this, but you have a good point. Anyhow, the scammers already know how to do it.
    If people are looking for real and verified business opportunities....DRF Fund is definitely a program that I can recommend with confidence."

Wanrou

I appreciate the input.

It's pointless to omit information though. Seriously, if scams like that were going to be done, they would be done anyway, regardless of you telling me how it really is now.

Before, I seriously thought these people broke into companies and somehow forged the checks - from what you've told me, it makes a lot more sense that it should be the easiest way over the hardest. I envision people sitting in dark rooms, hovering over a computer, god knows what they are doing.

Jesus, someone free me from my ignorance on this topic and tell me about these same people that scam me.

I don't even know if they hide all day long or live completely normal lives.

You can find all the info you ever wanted on:

Webnetpresence

and

Peoples' Chronicle

Both websites set up with the expressed intention of dealing with various fake cheque cashing scams.