+ Reply to Thread

Help! Item has been shipped to Nigeria

Hi, All,
    I was not alert enough when the scammer approach me. I didn't search google first before I shipped out the item.
    The scammer claimed that she sent payment to me via Paypal and I got three emails from Paypal in my Spam mailbox. I searched Paypal and thought that it was Paypal's new policy to provide tracking number before getting money.
    I shipped item on 12/19. I guessed there is no way to get the item back now thru USPS?
    Any advise?

Thanks!

Re: Help! Item has been shipped to Nigeria

It is most unlikely that USPS can get back your shipped item as it is probably already on the way to Nigeria. They say "theres a victim born every minute". Obviously Nigeria did not ring any alarm bells for you. May i ask your age? Most adults over 25 would be super wary of anything with a Nigerian connection, or Ghana, Benin, Ivory Coast, or Togo.

Quote Originally Posted by largo View Post
    I shipped item on 12/19. I guessed there is no way to get the item back now thru USPS?
    Any advise?

Thanks!
    Sorry, no, there is almost no chance you can get your item back. Did you send it with a tracking number or regular mail? If you sent it with a tracking number, you might be able to have it stopped on it way to Nigeria and turned around to you. If you sent it regular mail it is long gone.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash and possessions. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your possessions and cash via Western Union or moneygram.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Hi, Meri Widow, Thanks a lot for your comments. I sent it with Express Mail with tracking# available. The last update is that the item is in transit from New York to destination on 12/22. Since it's holiday weekend now and post office has no staff on duty. What can I do when they work on 12/27? USPS will be able to stop the shipment routed to the receiver?

By the way, scammer asked me to wire transfer $200 in order to clear the item from Nigerian Customs. I didn't wire money, luckily. I asked the scammer how she knows that the item is on hold at the Customs. She said that the status is shown on Nigerian Customs website. I told her that the item is defective as the whole lot of products been found with problem and need to recall for replacement. Not sure if she will believe it and return the item to me. I told her that I will bear the cost of postage though. Try to act like that I still don't know what's going on.

I will work on the header of email and see if I can find clue.

Thanks again.

Hi, Meri Widow, Thanks a lot for your comments. I sent it with Express Mail with tracking# available. The last update is that the item is in transit from New York to destination on 12/22. Since it's holiday weekend now and post office has no staff on duty. What can I do when they work on 12/27? USPS will be able to stop the shipment routed to the receiver?
    You can email and/or call USPS today. Then stop into your local post office when they open Monday or Tuesday, explain that you are the victim of a "fake buyer scam" and would like your package stopped and returned to you. The postal workers might be able to turn it around and send it back to you. Make sure you tell them that the receiver is a scammer and to "flag" the tracking number. It all really depends on exactly where the package is. If it has been turned over to another country's postal system, there is little chance to retrieve it, sorry to say.

Remember that the scammer-receiver has the tracking number and is tracking the package. The second he discovers the package might be on its way back to you, he will call or email USPS and try to convince them that you are the scammer trying to steal his purchase. We know he is a scammer but he will try to convince USPS that you have accepted his money and now won't ship the merchandise to him.

By the way, scammer asked me to wire transfer $200 in order to clear the item from Nigerian Customs. I didn't wire money, luckily. I asked the scammer how she knows that the item is on hold at the Customs. She said that the status is shown on Nigerian Customs website.
    That is another scammer trick, to steal your possession AND try to steal money as well.

I told her that the item is defective as the whole lot of products been found with problem and need to recall for replacement. Not sure if she will believe it and return the item to me. I told her that I will bear the cost of postage though.
    Probably not. Even a broken phone is worth money, she can resell it, claiming it is brand new and steal money from someone else.

Try to act like that I still don't know what's going on.
    That is best. If you are able to get your possession back, then cease emailing.

I will work on the header of email and see if I can find clue.
    Depends on what email service you are using. If it is gmail, click on the little upside down triangle to the right of reply and chose "show original" from the drop down menu. Then you copy/paste the ip into an ip tracking site.

You can raise a complaint through Paypal dispute section. That will surely help you to resolve the problem.

no. sorry. he wasn't paid by paypal. he was sent fake paypal notices by the scammer. paypal is not part of this transaction.

Hi, Meri Widow,
    I found the IP address is from Nigeria. Then what can I do with it?

About asking scammer to ship unit back to me, my friend and I are betting that if scammer want to get extra $200 from me, which she tried to scam me to pay Nigerian Custom Tax. If she doesn't ship unit back to me, then surely I won't pay $200 now and that means she makes $200 less. That's just my bet on how greedy the scammer can be.

Thanks!

Hi, Meri Widow,
    I found the IP address is from Nigeria. Then what can I do with it?
    Not much, unfortunately. The IP address probably belongs to a rented computer at a cyber cafe. Most scammers don't have their own computer or internet access and use ones rented by the hour, in cash, from local cyber cafes, no ID needed, of course.

Just knowing how to look up an IP address will help in weeding out some of the fake buyers, fake sellers and other types of scammers out there.

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, learn how to send a fake Western Union or moneygram receipt, ask questions and learn all about the hobby of scambaiting.

Good luck, I do hope you get your phone back.