+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Re: What did Jesus save us from?

Quote Originally Posted by finix View Post
    You'd love them more if you let them work on you.
    Its almost ridiculously simple to solve this whole issue. Show me the evidence that your god exists. I'm completely open to anything, where evidence exists.

If he existed, his rules might have meaning beyond the attempt by the powerful to control the ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by thistle View Post
    If he existed, his rules might have meaning beyond the attempt by the powerful to control the ignorant.
    Ignorant of what? Every human being is ignorant in some ways and not ignorant in others.

Following the rules leads to the only freedom that is available to humans. Without rules they are toys of their passions in the hands of the devil.

Ignorant of what? Every human being is ignorant in some ways and not ignorant in others.

Following the rules leads to the only freedom that is available to humans. Without rules they are toys of their passions in the hands of the devil.
    Hmm. Too complex and political for you, so you responded to the sarcasm rather than the point. I'll try again without being sarcastic then.

So lets stick to the point I was really making:
    Quote Originally Posted by thistle
    Its almost ridiculously simple to solve this whole issue. Show me the evidence that your god exists. I'm completely open to anything, where evidence exists.

Actually, following the 'rules' leads to more restriction and a belief in some angel that did the lord's dirty work for him.

Also, if a god murders someone it's still murder, even if he pulls a Lazarus and brings the person back from the dead.

One action doesn't negate a prior action. It just negates the RESULTS of the prior action.
    :mxmas:

"The one thing women don't want to find in their stockings on Christmas morning is their husband." ~ Joan Rivers

Quote Originally Posted by EvilZoe View Post
    One action doesn't negate a prior action. It just negates the RESULTS of the prior action.
    God, formerly know as murderer. :yelcutelaughA:

finix,
    A question, this devil character, does he have a flag?
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat. -- Leviticus 26:29
    let's hope the ECONOMY dont get THAT BAD!? ing1: :nervouss: :freak3: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

They found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day. ... And the LORD said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones.... And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the LORD commanded Moses. Numbers 15:32-56
    NOW we know where that sticks 'n stones thing came from!? :cwm14: :rotz: :freak3: :
    i do not endorse/recommend any advertising on scam.com associated with my name /posts or otherwise. thank you

did you come here to FIND/expose your IGNORANCE!? :bah: :errr: :yelcutelaughA: :

it's not what you SEE!? it's what you HEAR (inside) when you see!? :zx11pissed: :nervouss: :freak3: :

Are you on drugs? What are you talking about?

Evil's model is with a guy NAILED to a cross. Even the cross represented the dead body, you can't follow anyone dragging a decomposing corpse with you either.
    please tell us WHAT is the name of your RELIGION!? is it a secret cult!? but you didn't answer the "take up your cross' and follow me bit!? is it a mistranslation or something!? i see you fLEXXibly make things fit your safety zone!? that's common enough i guess!? (the human mind) ing1: :freak3: :yelcutelaughA::

No idea. It depends on the choices you make. My point is once you started to focus your attention on the scripture, it started to apply to you.
    and THEN/OR to escape it's inferences as you understand them, you DEFLECT them onto OTHERS!? :bah: :nervouss: :rotz: :

I'm seeing rough waters ahead, Cap'n.
    DAMN the torpedos, full speed ahead!? :freak3: :nervouss: :yelcutelaughA: :

Quote Originally Posted by Cnance View Post
    I think after this posting and the other one on DNA Christians will run me out of town. Ha, Ha, I live dangerously.
    so that's your internal game!? fighting boredom!? you yurn to LIVE LARGE and to be marturd for a cause!? :1crysad: :yelcutelaughA: :freak3: :

Originally Posted by EvilZoe
    What makes you think god doesn't want 'his' word to be carried out exactly as he had it put in the bible?
    It still doesn't mean literally. Why not? Because unless you have a literal mind (a very rare thing, actually), nothing ever is.
    Most of the bible apologists I've debated with claim that the bible isn't a literal document, except where they claim it proves that there is a god of it.

So an ancient text of supernatural stories about a supernatural being isn't speaking of literal happenings in the distant past, yet the proof for a god is in the texts.

So....what I take away from this is that there is a Christian god and the proof is in the bible's non-literal gospels.

That is hard to accept for any thinking person, IMHO.

I had this very same concern when I was in your shoes as a "believer," finix.

It was only one of the reasons that I left it behind...among with all of the other "truths" that I've studied and compared with reality and finding out that they weren't me.
    Last edited by GHOST DOG; 01-12-2012 at 11:18 PM.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by GHOST DOG View Post
    That is hard to accept for any thinking person, IMHO.
    Yes, very. It took me 41 years to learn how to suspend thinking and take a leap of faith. Albeit not for the lack of trying.

Yes, very. It took me 41 years to learn how to suspend thinking and take a leap of faith. Albeit not for the lack of trying.
    Your leap of faith in this case I'm afraid is only a leap of belief, in my experiences.

It took me 63 years to really understand that a person's personal experiences are really the only sacred truths in life.

It was up to me to test that within myself which was testable as to it's viability in nature, and to either relinquish authority to those much smarter than me and believe what they can postulate and prove, or discard that which doesn't make much sense to me in nature.

After a sufficient amount of studying on both sides of the "religion" question I found that it was most freeing to think for myself, for the first time and to find out my own truth.

That to me is the only freedom that we will really ever experience in our existence....the freedom of my mind and myself being the one who takes charge of it.

I cannot invest more time in wishing and hoping.
    Most people can't think, most of the remainder won't think, the small fraction who do think mostly can't do it very well. The extremely tiny fraction who think regularly, accurately, creatively, and without self-delusion- in the long run these are the only people who count... Robert Heinlein