+ Reply to Thread

Scammed by FRED SUZAN 2 days ago...shall I report?

I posted a used iphone on *list website for 200..got 2 offers from
    BELLA THOMAS who backed out after I asked for cash payment instead of MO. 2nd is a lady FRED SUZAN([email protected]) for 300 who said paypal which I thought would be legal and trusted and I agreed. This is what I from her.

"I Appreciate your response i am serious in buying your item,and i will
    not be able to come for the pickup because am not in the country i am
    in Malaysia for my holiday vacation and I will be glad if you can help
    me to ship it down to my son whom traveled outside the Country for his
    wild life research in West Africa for his Xmas Gift,So i am ready to
    pay you $300 USD for the item cost including the shipping cost via
    USPS PRIORITY MAIL INTERNATIONAL (E.M.S) and i will prefer paying you
    via PayPal,cos it is very fast and secure and it is the only mode of
    payment i have here ,so do get back to me with your PayPal email for
    the instant payment or you sign up for a PayPal personal account at
    WWW.PAYPAL.COM. Do get back to me as soon as possible.I will want you
    to withdraw the advertisement from
    *****slist.Regards

Await your response "

AN AMERICAN MOM ON VACATION IN MALAYSIA WANT TO GIFT A PHONE TO HER MUSLIM SON FOR CHRISTMAS IN AFRICA????????..can it be more absurd than that???? also that is spawning 3 countries right there in 1 shot....thats as big a red flag can be!!!!!...god, I feel like I am the fool of all fools in this world!!!!!!!!!!!

In few mins, I got email from [email protected]([email protected]) saying the payment has been made but they are holding funds pending shipping verification. I went and spent 45 for shipping and shipped the item. after that they were not sending the payment and I got suspicious with why paypal using @accountant.com domain instead of paypal.com,,,thats when I googled and realised this is scam...

I have issued a recall of shipment to USPS but as of today the update is it might have left the US and I am scammed and lost money and my iphone :(((((..

Please mark these ID's I have mentioned above as this is the latest and happened to me 2 days ago...they might be using the same ID's to scam others.

address is

L.Azeez
    22,Apesin Street,
    Mushin,
    Lagos
    Nigeria.

Even after telling them I know it is a scam and stopped the shipment, they continued to act genuine, became rude and using words..they even said they will have FBI come to my house and arrest me as I am trying to rip her off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At this point I knew they are pretty good at this and there is no point in arguing with them and wasting anymore time on already lost item :(

Since she was not stopping her emails..I just went into my email account and put her email and the paypal email ID's into the block addresses list after which the mails have stopped obviously.

I am just furious at my stupidity....but I want to know, shall I report this to local police to track the scammer?..will there be any use or way of retrieving the phone? or is it simply not worth all the trouble and simply forget it and move on?

please advice
    Last edited by gkr747; 12-01-2011 at 02:20 PM.

Re: Scammed by FRED SUZAN 2 days ago...shall I rep

thank you for reporting your experiences. may save others from loss. hope they can stop the package and get it back to you.

Hello,
    Thank you for posting the information online! It helped me to avoid fraud!

Im in a very similar situation. I was selling an expensive cell-phone, started messaging with Fred who is currently out of town in London for a conference, his girlfriend in West Africa (also Nigeria). Fake PayPal notifications were send to me from the same e-mail as yours. I didnt trust the email, went to google for it and found your post!

I was shocked!

While registering to this web-site to write this comment, I went to official Paypal site. In Security option they have Report Fraud buttons, that suggests forwarding all fraud emails to them and immediately delete them.

Thank you again!

Quote Originally Posted by gkr747 View Post
    I am just furious at my stupidity....but I want to know, shall I report this to local police to track the scammer?..will there be any use or way of retrieving the phone? or is it simply not worth all the trouble and simply forget it and move on?

please advice
    Since the scammer intended to steal your phone, he certainly did not give you his real life name. All you have is one of his fake names, one of his free email addresses and one of his fake stories. None of that is going to help your local law enforcement agency track down a scammer sitting in a cyber cafe in another country half way around the world from you, sorry.

That being said, thanks for posting up the information on that scammer.

Making a scammer's scam googlable on every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find is a great way to slow that scammer down when a suspicious potential victim goes looking for information, finds your post containing the name the scammer is using, his email address, phone number and the emails themselves and then that potential victim does not become a scam victim because you took the time "get the word out".

Thanks!!

Wasting a scammer's time legally and safely is called "scambaiting". If you google that word, you will find sites where you can read scambaits, post up the emails and email addresses of scammers, post up a fake website, read up on how to alert a hosting company that they are hosting a fake website, ask questions and learn all about the hobby of scambaiting.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

Well, I do have his address in Nigeria, it can not be fake. They did intend to get our phones.

The address is:

Tina Samuel
    2, Ighadolo street,
    Off Benin-Agbor Rd,Behind Hotel Doris Dey,Benin City
    Edo State,234052
    Nigeria.

Quote Originally Posted by slammi View Post
    Well, I do have his address in Nigeria, it can not be fake. They did intend to get our phones.

The address is:

Tina Samuel
    2, Ighadolo street,
    Off Benin-Agbor Rd,Behind Hotel Doris Dey,Benin City
    Edo State,234052
    Nigeria.
    True, he wanted the phones so he would have given a real life street address. Thanks for posting it up, the more a scammer's information is googleable, the better the chances a potential victim will find information before losing money or possessions.
    Found a scam or scammer's email address? Post it at scamwarners.com
    Found a romance scam? Post it at romancescam.com

How to Identify Lagos Nigeria Scams
    paulipopo.hubpages.com › ... › Scams and Fraud
    17 Jul 2010 – Lagos Nigeria scams aka 419 scams are advanced fee frauds or other scams mostly confidence tricks played against unsuspecting people ...
    Lagos Nigeria Scams, how it's done.
    http://www.business-travel-nigeria.c...ria-scams.html
    Lagos Nigeria scams or Advance Fee Fraud aka 419 has received a lot of press worldwide. People should no longer fall victim to these scams. There are plenty ...
    Are You Up On The Nigerian Scam?
    www.scambusters.org/NigerianFee.html
    In June of 1995, an American was murdered in Lagos, Nigeria, while pursuing a 4-1-9 scam, and numerous other foreign nationals have been reported as ...
    -----------------------------------------------
    Techie= Your money is gone/your product is gone. Oldest scams since the days of the internet!!!

Just got done researching a person I was about to sell a computer monitor to, and when googling the names/emails of the person in question, I found this forum. Pretty glad I did actually. I had a funny feeling about a mom wanting me to send her son in Nigeria a gift. Anyway, the email address is [email protected]
    The name is Joy Joyce. I got the same email about the payment "confirmation" from [email protected] as well. All I can say is crisis averted.