Thread: Dream Stealers?

Re: Dream Stealers?

Quote Originally Posted by travelingman View Post
    Thanks for your input. MLM is like brussel sprouts, it’s not for everybody. In evaluating your post, it is not something that you would likely be successful at. But that is OK, everybody is different and possess their own special group of skillsets. What you apparently failed to recognize was the common thread of determined mindset and passion possessed by most successful people like a Michael Jordan. If you are alive, failure at some point is a certainty (given the fact you actually make an attempt at something). The difference is how you respond to it. Naysayers, as a general rule, are not motivated by failure. Michael Jordan was cut from his high school team but it did not deter the pursuit of his goal. For most successful people, the input of the cynic is of absolutely no consequence, it’s the inner voice that matters.
    Michael Jordan was not cut from his high school team. I guess you believe whatever your upline says.

Quote Originally Posted by Joecool44 View Post
    Michael Jordan was not cut from his high school team. I guess you believe whatever your upline says.
    Really?

He tried out for the varsity basketball team during his sophomore year, but at 5'11" (1.80 m), he was deemed too short to play at that level. His taller friend, Harvest Leroy Smith, was the only sophomore to make the team.[7]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jordan

"I went to my room and I closed the door and cried," Michael Jordan said. "For a while I couldn't stop. Even though there was no one else home at the time, I kept the door shut. It was important to me that no one else hear me or see me."

In a sense, Jordan owns the world. To me, though, perhaps the most remarkable part of the Jordan story is the fact that, as a sophomore in high school, he was cut from his school's basketball team. I kept wondering about how it affected him at the time it happened. He wanted to play with the others, and was told that he wasn't good enough.
    http://www.2dorks.com/faxes/fax-jordancry.htm
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

He was assigned to junior varsity. Not unusual for a sophomore.

But not cut.

He was assigned to junior varsity. Not unusual for a sophomore.

But not cut.
    Whatever happened the point remains that many successful people had ''failures'' through their lives, the difference was they never gave up.
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

That's the problem with Doyle and Heiny. They try to defend a lie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...215707476.html

It's the "story" of legend, even if the story was always a fictional tale. Michael Jordan, regarded for over a decade to be the best basketball player ever, was supposedly "cut" from his high school basketball team during his sophomore year. Jordan has brought it up endlessly, writers like Bob Greene and David Halberstam trumpeted the tale, and the idea that the Best Player Ever could not be included amongst the 10-best players in tiny Laney High School in Wilmington, N.C., back in 1979 tends to boggle the mind.

It should boggle the mind, because it isn't true. Not just that he wasn't amongst the 10 best, Jordan clearly was, but because MJ was never really "cut." He was sent to the JV team by a 26-year-old coach who was recently brilliantly profiled by Thomas Lake at Sports Illustrated. Coach Clifton Herring is a man who probably didn't think he'd be the subject of anything having to do with Sports Illustrated at the time, much less 30-some years later.

It is a long (for the blog generation) but worthwhile read that cuts to the ever-shrinking core of Jordan, the person whose accomplishments need no inflating, but someone who has taken self-aggrandizing to a new level in the same way that he dominated the game of basketball for two decades after that "cut."

That's the problem with Doyle and Heiny. They try to defend a lie.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...215707476.html

It's the "story" of legend, even if the story was always a fictional tale. Michael Jordan, regarded for over a decade to be the best basketball player ever, was supposedly "cut" from his high school basketball team during his sophomore year. Jordan has brought it up endlessly, writers like Bob Greene and David Halberstam trumpeted the tale, and the idea that the Best Player Ever could not be included amongst the 10-best players in tiny Laney High School in Wilmington, N.C., back in 1979 tends to boggle the mind.

It should boggle the mind, because it isn't true. Not just that he wasn't amongst the 10 best, Jordan clearly was, but because MJ was never really "cut." He was sent to the JV team by a 26-year-old coach who was recently brilliantly profiled by Thomas Lake at Sports Illustrated. Coach Clifton Herring is a man who probably didn't think he'd be the subject of anything having to do with Sports Illustrated at the time, much less 30-some years later.

It is a long (for the blog generation) but worthwhile read that cuts to the ever-shrinking core of Jordan, the person whose accomplishments need no inflating, but someone who has taken self-aggrandizing to a new level in the same way that he dominated the game of basketball for two decades after that "cut."
    Yes, we know who the liar is here dont we Joe. I won't say anymore in case you run crying to Zoe.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    Yes, we know who the liar is here dont we Joe. I won't say anymore in case you run crying to Zoe.
    So you're still claiming Michael Jordan was cut when clearly he wasn't?

That's your entire problem Doyle.

So you're still claiming Michael Jordan was cut when clearly he wasn't?

That's your entire problem Doyle.
    I'm not claiming anything, I posted two links thats all, believe them or not, doesn't make any difference to me.
    I was calling you liar on another subject Joe, y'know, the one we can't talk about on here because you run to the mods.

I'm not claiming anything, I posted two links thats all, believe them or not, doesn't make any difference to me.
    I was calling you liar on another subject Joe, y'know, the one we can't talk about on here because you run to the mods.
    Your wiki link doesn't say Jordan was cut and the title of the other link says enough.

Your wiki link doesn't say Jordan was cut and the title of the other link says enough.
    Like I said, believe it or not, I don't care. The point remains the same, any person who has reached the top has had lots of failures...they just didn't quit.

Like I said, believe it or not, I don't care. The point remains the same, any person who has reached the top has had lots of failures...they just didn't quit.
    The point is that you lied. Michael Jordan was not cut from his high school team.

The point is that you lied. Michael Jordan was not cut from his high school team.
    Go back to the people who posted the information in those links, I didn't write it. When you going to come clean on who you really are ''Joe''? (we know anyway, lol)

Go back to the people who posted the information in those links, I didn't write it. When you going to come clean on who you really are ''Joe''? (we know anyway, lol)
    You're the dimwit who posted the link.

You're the dimwit who posted the link.
    Just because you post a link doesn't make it true, we've proved that many times on here.

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    Playing semantics are we, just like the rest of the apologists?

He tried out for the Varsity team as a sophmore and got 'cut', didn't make the 'cut' for the Varsity team and played JV.

For his Junior and Senior years he played varsity...but in his sophmore year, he was 'cut' from his high school varsity team, whereas a couple of his classmates, sophmores made the 'cut' they played varsity ball...(of course they sat on the bench a lot)

Why didn't he make the 'cut', why was he 'cut'? Because he was too short, his classmates were taller, and as a 5'11" guard he was a starter and top player on the Varsity squad.

He had the dream stealers...and worked harder and played more on JV...to his credit.
    He wasn't cut. Did you even read the article? Why do the pro MLMer's have this lack of reading comprehension issue?

I consider myself and anyone else who does it to be a ''clever customer'' by saving money when there is a choice. If your local supermarket offered you the chance to pay a one off joining fee, say $30 to join, then let you buy your groceries at a 30% discount, are you saying you wouldn't take advantage of this?
    Personal consumption is fine with the FTC as long as the motivation for buying those products is because people want to use them.
    That supermarket scenario would depend on the prices of the products in the supermarket. If paying the $30 to join gave me a 30% discount from already competitive prices, I think almost anyone would likely do it.

However, if that grocery store charged say double what other grocery stores were charging, no one in their right might would. This is where we have to evaluate the products and see if there's a chance that it is overpriced. For example, is LifeVantage Protandim charging $40 wholesale for a product that it outsources for $1.20? Yep, and that's ridiculous. Is MonaVie charging $37-45 a bottle for something that is proven to be no better than just $4 grape juice? Yep, and that's ridiculous.

I could go down a list of other products such as Xowii, Zrii, Xango, Jurusu, etc. that fit the same formula.

The only way that these companies have preferred customers is due to the illegal marketing of the products as helping with medical conditions. Consumers may experience a placebo effect and continue to buy it.

As for that FTC letter, it would also seem like internal consumption is fine as long as the MLM doesn't have an autoship requirement ("In contrast, a multi-level compensation system funded primarily by payments made
    for the right to participate in the venture is an illegal pyramid scheme.") If one were to take MonaVie for example, there is an autoship requirement necessary to earn multi-level commissions. As such, it does not appear to pass the FTC's guideline for being legit based on personal consumption.

However, we have an updated article that was intended for consumers, not simply a letter to someone associated with the DSA: The Bottom Line About Multi-Level Marketing Plans. This updated view from the FTC from 2009 (five years after your letter) expands a little more on the issue. Specific quotes are:

"What are your annual sales of the product? How much product did you sell to distributors? What percentage of your sales were made to distributors? One sign of a pyramid scheme is if distributors sell more product to other distributors than they do to the public."

"What percentage of the money you made — income and bonuses minus your expenses — came from recruiting other distributors and selling them inventory or other items to get started?
    Another sign of a pyramid scheme is if the money you make depends more on recruiting — getting new distributors to pay for the right to participate in the plan — than on sales to the public."

It doesn't make sense that you'd bring to light an old letter from 2004 addressed to one person rather than the FTC's very public and open opinion in an updated document.