+ Reply to Thread

Movex moving company

We recently fell into a bit of a trap with a moving company out of Florida. They charge thousands of dollars for their moving services. They say they will bring a moving truck to your door on moving day so you can pack it up. Then, they will deliver the truck to your new residence on a future date and you can unload the truck when it arrives.

Here is the problem:

If the drive of the truck feels the streets you live on are too tight to maneuver his 18 wheeler around he will park as close as he can. Our driver parked 1/4 mile away from our home. When I called the company they told me we had what they called a "shuttle" situation. They expected us to lug the furniture and belongings 1/4 down side streets to the parked truck. When I complained further, they offered $100 dollars off their $3,400 dollar fees. When I declined and continued to complain they offered to pay for a rental truck which I would have to secure, load, unload, and return to the rental truck company. At this point, the deal was off as far as I was concerned. Their expectation that I lug all our furniture and belongings 1/4 mile away from the front door of our home was completely unreasonable. There was no way I was going to pay this company over 3 thousand dollars when I would have to load and unload a seperate truck just in order to pack their truck. And what would happen when the truck came out to our new residence 1,500 miles away? How close could he get there? Would we have to go through this nightmare again out there? No way, I say... I offered them the opportunity to charge me a nominal feel for their driver parking 1/4 of a mile away and the company rep told me they were going to keep all our $3,400 dollars. I realized I was dealing with a scummy company so I put in a claim with the BBB and called out credit card company (thank goodness we paid with a credit card) and we had the charges taken off our bill.

Beware of these issues when looking for a moving company. I ended up renting a Budget rental truck and moving everything myself. It saved me $500 bucks, too.

Re: Movex moving company

Quote Originally Posted by colorsoundkid
    We recently fell into a bit of a trap with a moving company out of Florida. They charge thousands of dollars for their moving services. They say they will bring a moving truck to your door on moving day so you can pack it up. Then, they will deliver the truck to your new residence on a future date and you can unload the truck when it arrives.

Here is the problem:

If the drive of the truck feels the streets you live on are too tight to maneuver his 18 wheeler around he will park as close as he can. Our driver parked 1/4 mile away from our home. When I called the company they told me we had what they called a "shuttle" situation. They expected us to lug the furniture and belongings 1/4 down side streets to the parked truck. When I complained further, they offered $100 dollars off their $3,400 dollar fees. When I declined and continued to complain they offered to pay for a rental truck which I would have to secure, load, unload, and return to the rental truck company. At this point, the deal was off as far as I was concerned. Their expectation that I lug all our furniture and belongings 1/4 mile away from the front door of our home was completely unreasonable. There was no way I was going to pay this company over 3 thousand dollars when I would have to load and unload a seperate truck just in order to pack their truck. And what would happen when the truck came out to our new residence 1,500 miles away? How close could he get there? Would we have to go through this nightmare again out there? No way, I say... I offered them the opportunity to charge me a nominal feel for their driver parking 1/4 of a mile away and the company rep told me they were going to keep all our $3,400 dollars. I realized I was dealing with a scummy company so I put in a claim with the BBB and called out credit card company (thank goodness we paid with a credit card) and we had the charges taken off our bill.

Beware of these issues when looking for a moving company. I ended up renting a Budget rental truck and moving everything myself. It saved me $500 bucks, too.
    Don't most moving companies work that way, they do here in Chicago

I'm sorry, but just because a company puts something in fine print doesn't mean it's reasonable, fair, or legal. It's too bad that a company like Movex feels it can simply keep all your money when it never rendered services. Then, when approached with reasonable resolutions, they want to play hardball and threaten to keep all our money. Had we known that they could not get within a 1/4 mile of our house we would never have paid them $3,400 dollars to secure their services. It's pretty convenient for them to play dumb and just show up however far away from homes they imply they will pull up to and demand the customer to do double, even triple the labor to load their trucks.

Imagine having to load all your belongings into a rental truck, then drive to their truck and unload them, and then load them AGAIN into their truck. Imagine having to do this nightmare "shuttle" 3, 4, 5 times just to load up their truck. Can you see what a awful situation this would be for a paying customer? The fact is, the services they imply and the services they will actually render may well be miles apart (figuratively and literally).

On top of all this, when they get to your new home what's to stop them from holding your money and belongings hostage again parking a lengthy distance from your new home and leaving you in a "shuttle" situation again? And they expect people to pay them thousands of dollars for this? That's outrageous, as far as I am concerned.

I just noticed the BBB - Better Business Bureau has even more complaints for Movex now. Around two months ago (right when we were securing their services) they had around 23 complaints total. Now, just over 2 months later, they have 53 complaints. It appears their business practices are catching up with them.

All I can say is DO NOT USE MOVEX MOVING COMPANY! This nightmare is still dragging on and they have received their money back during our dispute with our credit card. They are demanding now that we pay half of the $3,400 dollars when they never even moved our belongings.

I would be willing to pay them $500 dollars, even, for the fact that the driver drove within a quarter mile of our home. This would be a reasonable fee, in my eyes. However, their unscrupulous hardball tactics have kept us from resolving the issue reasonably and are forcing us to continue fighting with them. THEY WANT $1,600 DOLLARS FROM US EVEN THOUGH THEY NEVER RENDERED SERVICES! BEWARE!

Consumer protection is dying in our country, unfortunately... Thanks corporate America! Thanks congress! Thanks...

We will continue to fight with Movex till we can reach a reasonable solution.

I am a representative of Movex, Inc. and I feel that this post needs some clarification. This post is on a scam site and in no way is Movex trying to scam anyone. We have been in business since 1999 and have moved thousands of individuals and families with excellent success in customer satisfaction.

To protect our customers, we are very clear in laying out the limitations, including the issues encountered in this situation. Let me start by saying that we are disappointed that this customer was not satisfied with the outcome of our attempts to resolve the issue. Our Relocation Agreement is very clear in stating that the vehicle we use is a full-size tractor/trailer that may exceed 70 feet in total length. Since we cannot see the delivery location, it is the responsibility of the customer to make sure there is truck accessibility. The driver will bring the tractor/trailer as close as possible to the customer's residence, and if the driver feels that if there is the chance of potential property damage or personal endangerment, he/she will not proceed any further. In the rare situation that the driver cannot get reasonably close to the residence, it is then the responsibility of the customer to shuttle the items to the Movex truck.

Again, we are not looking to scam anyone out of money for services not rendered. We work to find reasonable solutions when problems arise, and make sure our customers have the best experience possible.

My friend and I just used Movex and had a nightmare moving experience. Movex totally misrepresents its services. We went with Movex because they said they owned and operated their own trucks and never took anything but household goods. The driver who showed up at our door was contracted from Generic and said he often took other kinds of freight than household goods. We were also told it would be no problem to get extra space if we needed it, which we ended up needing about an extra foot. The driver even told us at the beginning of the load that there was extra space. Half-way through the load, when it became clear we needed extra space, suddenly there was none to be had. Unfortunately, it was too late to call customer service at Movex to figure out what to do. (While Movex says it has after-hours service, it offers just a message line and no one calls you back. The driver was supposed to be there at 2 pm but showed up at 5 pm so we never had a chance to talk to customer service when problems came up.) We had already loaded the books and other items that would have been cheaper to ship, so we were stuck with about 18 boxes left over that had to go UPS and USPS for over $700, plus several odd-shaped and large items that weren't really shippable and had to be left behind. Had we gotten the extra one foot of space, we would only have had to pay about $180 and been saved a day and a half of stress and pain getting those boxes shipped. Movex's customer service solution was to pick up the extra freight for an mere $1000 on top of what we already paid them.

To add to the normal stress of loading a moving truck, our driver's 7 and 9-year-old children were with him and played in and around the truck the entire time we were loading and unloading. They took the dolly to play with while we still needed it, and ran up and down the ramps while we were moving in and out of the truck.

Another issue with the space on the truck, when Movex says the space is 8.5' by 9' and that there's a wall in between loads, that's not really true. The "walls" are 4' x 8' pieces of plywood that leave a 1' gap at the top of the load. We had planned to put small and thin things at the top of the load, but we couldn't use that space because our stuff would have fallen into someone else's stuff behind the wall. The walls are secured by bars that are about 3-4" thick that cut into the space, so the wall can't be used to make a nice, flat stack of boxes.

Our problems didn't end with the space on the truck. We were originally given an unload date of Monday, 6 July, but the driver called on Thursday, the 2nd to say he needed to unload a day early. We told Movex we couldn't physically be there since we had 2400 miles to drive, plus we wouldn't have any moving help, but Movex wouldn't budge. The driver threatened to just dump our stuff. Having to drive 2400 miles in barely three days and then unload a truck was a nightmare.

If we had it to do over again, we would NEVER use Movex.

Quote Originally Posted by colorsoundkid View Post

Here is the problem:

Could the truck get down the street?
    Was there low limbs and phone lines?
    Your looking to save money on your move so you call a self service moving company, you explain to them the size of house and how much furniture you have. They tell you what size truck they think you will need and give you a price. No one ever comes to the house all done by phone. How could they know if a 75' tractor trailer could get down your street? If you paid for full service move some one would have come to the house and told you a shuttle truck would be needed. There was nothing in it for that driver to sit and wait while you handled you furniture a 2nd time.

I am a driver for Movex and I can tell you that many people have NO idea what it takes to manuever a 72' truck. I had one customer lead me down the primrose path into a 1-way dead-end that I would have trouble getting a tricycle into, then I had to back out over 1.5 miles around 6 left-hand turns. We drivers do NOT work for your community tree-trimming service and low hanging branches cause THOUSANDS of dollars in damage to our trailers and trucks. If you think a driver's safety decision is unreasonabe, then, by all means, check it out... but if you've never tried to turn around in one of these things, consider that it takes 100' of space just to make a 90 degree right turn. Most residential streets are 20-30 feet wide... do the math! We can't teleport this truck into your living room and then magically reappear on the Interstate. :judges:

MOVEX is horrible. They will act super friendly and helpful to win your business, but once they have your money don't expect to hear from them -- even when you have problems with your shipment.

We used them to move cross country and to sum it up: almost all goods were covered in black grease from the filthy truck, they screwed up our delivery date & didn't notify us, and then no one would return our calls as to what happened or when our stuff would arrive!!! We finally got someone to tell us when we could expect our shipment to arrive & it was only hours prior to the arrival.

Movex isn't a scam, it is a real company, but my advice is look elsewhere if you want a company that will make good for it's mistakes or problems.

Good luck!

I've moved quite a few loads over the past several years for Movex. I have to believe that every customer I moved was pleased with my service. And yes there was the times I couldn't get to the house with my truck and they had to bring it to me. I would think that most normal people should have some kind of knowledge weather a 18 wheeler will make the turns or not and one would think when their street is posted no trucks that should tell them something.

When did you have that experience w/Movex? I've been driving for them for 3 months now and I know that the President of the company (Stuart), will personally address complaints. Some folks are just impossible to please... other times, there are circumstances that are the fault of the customer, but they want to blame the driver or the company. The mode of operation is for the CUSTOMER to load and unload their stuff. If it comes off the truck dirty or damaged, then the customer didn't take proper care loading in most instances. I sweep my truck after EVERY load comes off. My furniture pads are clean and well tended. If I assist in the loading or unloading (I'm not obligated to do so), I take very good care of the stuff coming on the truck. There have been times when I loaded 1/2 of the truck by myself and unloaded it at the other end, and never even got a bottle of *****, much less a tip... so believe me, we get crappy customers too! There's always 2 sides to every story. I know the company stresses customer service and wants to hear both the good AND the bad experiences from the customers... that's how we improve.

the mistake you made was in hiring a mover without having a home estimate done. Had the mover actually gone to your home and done a proper inspection they would easily have known the area driving condtions and you would not have been surprised when they told you they could not reach your home. Did you know 18 wheelers are dangerous in most residential neighborhoods and they cannot turn down many narrow streets without crashing things like street signs and curbs? you would have if you did not try to find the cheapest mover with an online quote.

NEVER HIRE A MOVER WITHOUT A HOME INSPECTION TO DETERMINE THE LOGISTICS OF REACHING, PACKING AND MOVING YOUR SPECIFIC HOME.

:madgo: My daughter and Son in law are moving from Seattle to Houston. MoveX was contracted thru Righteous Movers in Houston. They agreed on a price and date of move. The move was set up about a month and 1/2 before moving date. Movex called my Son in Law and said they couldn't make it the day of schedule. He was OK with waiting 2-3 more days. Then he gets a call that they can't come that day and was scheduled for the next day. THEN they call and say MAYBE they can come on the weekend (5 more days later). My Son in Law has a job waiting on him starting this coming Sunday (the weekend). Time is of the essence. After frustrating attemps to solve this with the office staff we asked for the manager. Ross (manager) spoke to me and the owner of Righteous Movers that said he's used them in the past with no problems. This was the first long distance move I was giving a trial to see how they do and then I would recommend them to my customers at our storage facility that need long distance companies often. Mind you this first, last and only attempt they will have a chance at was to move my daughter and her husband from Seattle to Houston. Jerrell the owner that contracted Movex tried to speak to Ross the manager and plead for us but he said call someone else in the end. Then he said he'd call in the morning and see what they could do. Oddly he was out of the office and no longer available 10 minutes after our conversation and also the next dayhe was out of the office. :rotz: There was no concern that my son in law would loose the job if he couldn't get there on time. They actually had the nerve to say they would reimburse 10% of extra cost. Well rent alone for staying longer is $1200. So I asked him if he really thought $120 was going to make this better. They wanted picked up on the date scheduled. That simple. It's not that simple as we are talking about much preparation and someone actually having a job waiting on them-if he gets there! They couldn't leave their belongings and was able to find a u-pack and unload for around the same price. Do you believe they actually asked if my son in law could come ahead (more $ to fly) and my daughter drive ALONE from Seattle after they pick up. When and if they pick up!!! Righteous Movers was recommended ** a friend but I don't feel comfortable with them either if this is the kind of companies he deals with.:zx11pissed::2gunsfiring_v1:Don't mess with my money or my babies!!!