+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Private wind turbines

Came across this site just now, it looks pretty sweet. The title of the thread pretty much explains it all so I'll leave you to look at the site :)
    http://www.quietrevolution.co.uk/

Re: Private wind turbines

they just installed a wind turbine by us downtown. wind generation of electricity in our town at this point is in an experimental phase. if it's successful, they will install more of these. i can post a pic of it here if ya want to see it....

Quote Originally Posted by saturnsc2
    they just installed a wind turbine by us downtown. wind generation of electricity in our town at this point is in an experimental phase. if it's successful, they will install more of these. i can post a pic of it here if ya want to see it....
    That's pretty cool, is it a silent one like on the website? I hear the normal ones can get fairly loud.

Quote Originally Posted by SubJunk
    That's pretty cool, is it a silent one like on the website? I hear the normal ones can get fairly loud.
    it's quiet. i was downtown over the weekend & it was turning fast & i heard nothing. it's a conventional one with 3 massive blades. the blades weight some 6,000# it stands some 100 feet high, & the whole unit weights some 50,000# each blade is like 40ft long! dude, if you & Jill want to challenge me to a shot contest here is the place to do it. you love science right? we have a place downtown called the Great Lakes Science Center. you would love this place. it has many scientific exibits you would love since you seem to be interested in science! it's right between Cleveland Browns football stadium & Rock & roll Hall Of Fame & Museum. the turbine is right in front of the stadium. it is 100 ft tall, & as high as the stadium & since it's mounted right on the lake front, it gets a lot of wind. there's going to be a display inside of the Science Center that monitors the output of the turbine, but it's not completed as of yet as the turbine was just built & made operational within the past few weeks. the turbine puts out some 200-300 killawatts of electricity, & has an 8mph start up wind speed. it powers some of the Science Center's lights & other things there. on top of the Science Center is a solar power station. the panel output is also monitored in the Science Center. i'm into alternative power also. we installed a small wind turbine in our back yard where i live & it's a 400 watt model with 4 ft blades. we also have 7 -100 watt solar panels mounted on the back porch roof that charges a bank of batteries. i can take pics of all this & show ya. it's all very cool! anyway, here's the pics of the turbine & the specs from inside the Science Center:

Last edited by saturnsc2; 08-03-2006 at 06:22 PM.

OH GOD!!i think i am about to PUKE!?hehe!!but no slight on your part!?i OWE you for 1 question at the right time in my life!!hehe!!WHO KNEW!?only the vigilant!? by fate!!hehe!!thank you for that/DELECTION of highest EFFECT!?now ........ON WITH the show!!hehe!!..........

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    OH GOD!!i think i am about to PUKE!?hehe!!but no slight on your part!?i OWE you for 1 question at the right time in my life!!hehe!!WHO KNEW!?only the vigilant!? by fate!!hehe!!thank you for that/DELECTION of highest EFFECT!?now ........ON WITH the show!!hehe!!..........
    it there's one person on this forum who i never have any freaking idea on what they're talking about it's you dude! but i guess it's a good thing as i need people like you to keep my brain functioning! my brain needs excercising just like any other body parts! so, by all means, carry on! :D
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 07-31-2006 at 04:31 PM.

I found this and have ordered the plans. This is the best I've seen for the small guy. It will take me a while to get one running because I am 2.5 hours from home running a retail store, but I hope to use this to GET OFF THE GRID!

http://www.prairieturbines.com/

Hey Worried - I think you're on to a good idea! Wind energy is very big in Canada. It can't replace the exisiting energy sources, right now, but it's well on it's way. I, personally, love the concept and it's viabiltiy. Wind is free - there's no way for any government to tax or restrict it. Solar power seems to be taking a back seat - I wonder why? The only down side is dealing with storage. My sister works for a wind energy company here in Alberta.

Here in the States the power company is reguired to buy your extra power from you at 150% of their average production cost, which sounds good untill you do a little research. The idea is to use them as your battery, selling them your extra power when you make more than you use, then buy it back when you are using more than you are making. Two problems with this, first, they charge you the full delivery fees and taxes, my bill I just got today for $173.45 is for just $90.77 worth of electricity. the balunce, $83.18 was for delivery, recovery, distribution, renewable resource program, ecc imp surcharge asset recovery, securitization, neclear decommissing srchg, and taxes. They will still bill you for all of these and and extra electicity you make beyond what you use they get to keep. So even if I generated enough power to cover my use I would still get a bill for all this other crap. It would be lower because when I was generating I would not be incuring these fees. But all the power I have them bank for me then I later use will have these fees added on. They let you bank power till june 1st of every year then the slate is wiped clean and anything they owed you in power is lost to them and you start over.
    So I will only use them to excite my generator field so I can use them in times when my systems fail. I will charge batteries, and try to find other ideas to get me through no wind times.

But I will at least try.

Quote Originally Posted by Worried_in_the_USA
    Here in the States the power company is reguired to buy your extra power from you at 150% of their average production cost, which sounds good untill you do a little research. The idea is to use them as your battery, selling them your extra power when you make more than you use, then buy it back when you are using more than you are making. Two problems with this, first, they charge you the full delivery fees and taxes, my bill I just got today for $173.45 is for just $90.77 worth of electricity. the balunce, $83.18 was for delivery, recovery, distribution, renewable resource program, ecc imp surcharge asset recovery, securitization, neclear decommissing srchg, and taxes. They will still bill you for all of these and and extra electicity you make beyond what you use they get to keep. So even if I generated enough power to cover my use I would still get a bill for all this other crap. It would be lower because when I was generating I would not be incuring these fees. But all the power I have them bank for me then I later use will have these fees added on. They let you bank power till june 1st of every year then the slate is wiped clean and anything they owed you in power is lost to them and you start over.
    So I will only use them to excite my generator field so I can use them in times when my systems fail. I will charge batteries, and try to find other ideas to get me through no wind times.

But I will at least try.
    we have 7-100 watt solar panels mounted on our back porch roof that charges a bank of deep cycle batteries. also a 400 watt wind turbine mounted on a 20 ft pole in our backyard that helps out charging. man was that thing going bonkers last night! anyway, all the input is fed into several large inverters & we actually run appliances off the system, & also duing a power outage we have tv, refrigerator & other things working. i love free alternative power! last year we watched a football game during a power outage & we have a 35" big screen tv! of course i have in my garage a 5000 watt gas generator for heavy current drain applainces such as clothes washers & dryers when needed....

Hey Saturn, check your PM box - you've been full for at least a week! Are you on Vaca???? :rolleyes:

Is power that bad in the USA now? How often do you guys suffer power outages?

We only ever suffer blackouts in Aus when a storm takes out power cables.

Quote Originally Posted by heavensent
    Hey Saturn, check your PM box - you've been full for at least a week! Are you on Vaca???? :rolleyes:
    OMG! it's full! have ya been trying to send me pm's? awww, sorry sweetie! i'll empty it right now! i have'nt been here much lately...
    Last edited by saturnsc2; 08-12-2006 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by aegist
    Is power that bad in the USA now? How often do you guys suffer power outages?

We only ever suffer blackouts in Aus when a storm takes out power cables.
    Power outages are very uncommon here, my complaint is with the costs. I did get my book on the Breezy 5.5 and will be building one this fall after my store closes for the winter. It looks very simple to build and maintain. I will post how it goes.

Puleezze! Saturn and Heavensent - Get a room for gawd's sake. You interrupt a thread because your mail is full?? Vaca? - I can't believe it....Sorry to everyone else.............
    Last edited by linda49; 08-11-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by linda49
    Puleezze! Saturn and Heavensent - Get a room for gawd's sake. You interrupt a thread because your mail is full?? Vaca? - I can't believe it....Sorry to everyone else.............
    LOL, yeah, c'mon Heavsent, next time send Saturn a PM to tell her these inane things.. like "Your PM Inbox is full"