+ Reply to Thread

Your boss may be spying on you

More & more employers are going online to sites like FaceBook, MySpace and Twitter to spy on their employees.

These same employees also go online to the sites mentioned to determine if a new applicant is worth hiring.

This is just wrong.

What someone wishes to post on their own time is their business, not the employers. What happened to freedom of speech?
    Last edited by Knight-mare; 10-25-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    "The mind bends and twists in order to deal with the horrors of life...
    ...sometimes the mind bends so much it snaps in two".

Re: Your boss may be spying on you

Your Boss is Likely Spying on You

Civil rights attorney sees uptick in terminations from social media

By Alex Perez

| Wednesday, Jan 19, 2011 | Updated 10:35 PM CDT

For many, it's become second nature to head straight to Facebook or Twitter to complain or gloat about daily life or current events. But with more employers using software to keep tabs on employees, your harmless rant or online search could cost you your job.

"I don't post anything stupid. I'm always aware," said Chicagoan Glen Busch.

He never thought any of his random thoughts on the Internet would cause him any trouble. But that's exactly what he got when he took to Facebook and commented on the shooting in Tucson:
    "...YOU CAN'T SHOOT PEOPLE YOU DISAGREE WITH!

She was a moderately conservative democrat, seemed like a great person..."
    About a day after that posting, Busch said he got a letter from his boss at Coats for Kids, where he's volunteered since 2008, terminating their relationship with him. That letter read, in part, "it is essential that we not become involved in public controversy."

"It was like a kidney punch," Busch said about the letter. "All of a sudden all this work is gone."
    Civil rights attorney Kristin Case said Busch's story is actually one that has become very common in her practice.
    "In the past two years there's been an enormous boom in the number of people getting terminated for this," she explained.

Case pointed out that employers have every right to, and usually do, snoop around employees personal Internet pages. If the employer can access something it finds objectionable on an employee's page -- even if the objectionable activity is legal -- it could be grounds for firing. (What a load of crap. Employers might have the right to snoop, but is it RIGHT? NO IT ISN'T!)

Case says that employees in the private world often misinterpret freedom of speech.
    "Almost all employees, understandably, think that we have a freedom of speech right that extends to all areas of our life, including employment.

That's not the case. Unless somebody is a public employee, unless somebody works for a governmental entity, the federal government, state, local, generally they have no free speech rights," said Case.

She recommends doing an online search for yourself once a month to see what information about you is on the Internet. She also points out that it's important to know what your friends are saying and posting about you, since their privacy settings might be different than yours.

The scrutiny also applies to your work-issued computer. Roughly 66 percent of employers admit to monitoring employees' Internet connections. Concerns over litigation, productivity,and security breaches are the main reasons employers say the monitioring is necessary.

The Playboy-owned website smokingjacket.com is one of a growing number of sites trying to skirt employers peering eyes. It's a "work-friendly" alternative to the company's main site.

"If someone is not being hampered in their productivity, and they are not creating an uncomfortable or hostile work environment for someone else, they should be allowed to look at whatever they want," explained the website's Editorial Director, Jimmy Jellinek.

After much discussion with his superiors, things have ended on a positive note for Busch. His boss at Coat For Kids has allowed him to return. Still, he believes his experience is something from which everyone can learn.

"You better know what you're posting, and be comfortable with showing the world," he advised.
    Last edited by Knight-mare; 10-26-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Good rules to follow:

DO NOT become Facebook friends with your boss or co-workers... they aren't your friends.

DO monitor and maintain your profile settings to allow viewing by FRIENDS ONLY

DO NOT air your 'dirty laundry' on Facebook... keep your personal issues personal.

DO NOT post it on the internet unless you are prepared to have it published to the world.

Good rules to follow:

DO NOT become Facebook friends with your boss or co-workers... they aren't your friends.

DO NOT air your 'dirty laundry' on Facebook... keep your personal issues personal.

DO NOT post it on the internet unless you are prepared to have it published to the world.
    demontaihack like this.I think If u must connect With Your Boss FB .U should leave status like "Working Hard today" ^^ :sun_smiley:

5. 10-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Here is something I found out that some people may not be aware of about FaceBook.
    Facebook employees can see your profile even if it is private. They are willing to share your private profile with your boss. All he or she has to do is ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight-mare View Post
    Here is something I found out that you may not be aware of about FaceBook.
    Facebook employees can see your profile even if it is private. They are willing to share your private profile with your boss. All he or she has to do is ask.
    Source please.

I ask for the source because according to the FaceBook terms and conditions:
    How we use the information we receive

We use the information we receive about you in connection with the services and features we provide to you and other users like your friends, the advertisers that purchase ads on the site, and the developers that build the games, applications, and websites you use. For example, we may use the information we receive about you:
    • as part of our efforts to keep Facebook safe and secure;
    • to provide you with location features and services, like telling you and your friends when something is going on nearby;
    • to measure or understand the effectiveness of ads you and others see;
    • to make suggestions to you and other users on Facebook, such as: suggesting that your friend use our contact importer because you found friends using it, suggesting that another user add you as a friend because the user imported the same email address as you did, or suggesting that your friend tag you in a picture they have uploaded with you in it.

Granting us this permission not only allows us to provide Facebook as it exists today, but it also allows us to provide you with innovative features and services we develop in the future that use the information we receive about you in new ways.
    While you are allowing us to use the information we receive about you, you always own all of your information. Your trust is important to us, which is why we don't share information we receive about you with others unless we have:
    • received your permission;
    • given you notice, such as by telling you about it in this policy; or
    • removed your name or any other personally identifying information from it.

We are able to suggest that your friend tag you in a picture by comparing your friend's pictures to information we've put together from the photos you've been tagged in. You can control whether we suggest that another user tag you in a photo using the How Tags Work settings.
    Last edited by yyy123; 10-27-2011 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by yyy123 View Post
    Source please.

I ask for the source because according to the FaceBook terms and conditions:
    http://www.nowpublic.com/technology/...-your-facebook

You click on that link & you'll see a quote and that will tell you the source.
    http://valleywag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Knight-mare View Post
    http://www.nowpublic.com/technology/...-your-facebook

You click on that link & you'll see a quote and that will tell you the source.
    http://valleywag.com
    Interesting article... thanks.
    Though, it is still best to follow some basic rules... especially the last two:

Good rules to follow:

(Also not a bad idea to look in on your settings from time to time)

Disagreed. My boss hires people to work in law enforcement, he almost hired someone who turned out to be a Nazi. He found out by checking their FB page. Since then they have all potential employees who will be working in the law enforcement division sign a release when they interview giving the department the right to view their FB page and they are required to let them do it right then/there in order to prevent them from hiding anything.

Quote Originally Posted by lisan23 View Post
    Disagreed. My boss hires people to work in law enforcement, he almost hired someone who turned out to be a Nazi. He found out by checking their FB page. Since then they have all potential employees who will be working in the law enforcement division sign a release when they interview giving the department the right to view their FB page and they are required to let them do it right then/there in order to prevent them from hiding anything.
    Wow. That is a horrible invasion of privacy.

I'm sorry, but there are all sorts of aspects of my social life that I would not want my employer to see.

Would it be ok for an employer to ask to come to your house and read your diary? Of course not. What about for them to ask to go through all your personal photo albums from the past ten years? Ok course not. To read through all your phone's messages from past girlfriends? To read all of the emails you've sent and received in the past 10 years? To read the letters you sent back and forth with your spouse while they were overseas? Of course not. None of that would be acceptable.

If an employer asked me to log in to facebook I would be out the door in a second on principle alone (not that I have anything I want to hide. I'm not stupid enough to put anything remotely controversial on there). It's unfortunate that many people don't have the option to refuse a job and will endure this horrendous invasion of privacy.

I should have clarified, he only does it with law enforcement officers that they're looking to hire. Anyone else doesn't have to go through it.

I've seen all the questions they ask, honestly checking their FB is one of the least intrusive things they do.