+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

MLMs and conventions

Is there a reason for so many "national" conventions during the calendar year for some of these MLM companies? Is it necessary for the distributors to attend these meetings? We have a friend who is big time into an MLM here, in fact he's been a little distant towards us because we politely declined his invitation to join after attending one of his "parties". Although he continues to keep us in the loop with mass email notifications of how great he's doing in the company, what an awesome car he drives, what a wonderful life he lives and all the different conventions he is attending in all the wonderful cities. It seems there is one every month or so. Is this part of the "cult mentality" I hear about with these MLM companies?

James R is offline I'm no crook...my upline told me to do it! User Rank

Re: MLMs and conventions

Quote Originally Posted by BellaNova View Post
    Is there a reason for so many "national" conventions during the calendar year for some of these MLM companies? Is it necessary for the distributors to attend these meetings? We have a friend who is big time into an MLM here, in fact he's been a little distant towards us because we politely declined his invitation to join after attending one of his "parties". Although he continues to keep us in the loop with mass email notifications of how great he's doing in the company, what an awesome car he drives, what a wonderful life he lives and all the different conventions he is attending in all the wonderful cities. It seems there is one every month or so. Is this part of the "cult mentality" I hear about with these MLM companies?
    Yep, it's a last chance money grab while you still have your MLM disciples still interested in getting scammed.

They put these things together at the cheapest hotels who still offer a discount rate on a convention room and blow it up like it is some sort of spectacular event.

Check YouTube for your latest MLM "convention"(s),

It's pretty hilarious....
    Excited about Nopalea Cactus Juice? Learn how to make your own for FREE!
    Don't be another "$50 a bottle" sucker....best of all you know exaclty what's in it. Click HERE.

Here's a good one....
    "That's why I changed my 'story'".
    Where else can you find this nonsense besides here?

Bella-Is there a reason for so many "national" conventions during the calendar year for some of these MLM companies? Not all companies have multiple National Conventions. Some have 1 and some have 3-4. They will then have Regional Events that can happen even monthly across the country. Being in Texas why would I attend one in Say Chicago? Well because I am hoping I have a Team in that area or going to get trained by a different group hopefully learning something MORE or DIFFERENT than I was previously taught.

Is it necessary for the distributors to attend these meetings? Necessary?No, But DEPENDING on the company it's very beneficial to gaining knowledge. We were told to learn Algebra for 2-3 yrs and still to this day I have NEVER used it.

We have a friend who is big time into an MLM here, in fact he's been a little distant towards us because we politely declined his invitation to join after attending one of his "parties". I think thats Awesome that you supported your friend like that. It's not for everyone and I have alot of respect for people that give up their time and that are at least open to look at something new whether it's for them or not.

Although he continues to keep us in the loop with mass email notifications of how great he's doing in the company, what an awesome car he drives, what a wonderful life he lives and all the different conventions he is attending in all the wonderful cities. It seems there is one every month or so. Is this part of the "cult mentality" I hear about with these MLM companies?
    Due to his excitement he is doing what HE thinks is right. Well thats the problem with MOST Mlmer's. Amateurs try and convience then your Pro's Sort.
    Meaning we run alot of people through a Process(System) and only want the one's that WANT IT. Not conviencing people to do something they don't want to do. This is the Biggest Problem in MLM.........

Cult? This is where you lose me.
    You do know that the American Education System was designed in the late 1800's for us to be 1 of 2 things and it's never changed.
    A Soldier or a Employee(Slave).

There is a reason that in the early 1900's 3% of the population controlled 97% of the wealth and it's the same if not WORSE today. Nothing has changed. Nothing. Same educational system LYING to us.
    Do the research, dont believe me. Rich Dad,Poor Dad is an Awesome explanation of this.
    Think and Grow Rich is Basic Success Principles going to a Advanced Stage of Education that Public education refuses to teach us.
    Just simply ask yourself. How many people do YOU personally know that could last more than 3-4 months without a job or Unemployment?
    Most of them couldn't last 2-3 weeks without a check.
    People work 40-50 yrs for THAT? Seriously?
    How many Millionaires do you know that did it themselves? No trust or anything else.
    MLM is nothing more than a SYSTEM. Doesn't matter the Product or Service. As a Business Man I am buying the System just as I would a Franchise.
    So please before throwing a word around like CULT..... You may want to look at the American Educational system that has a Proffessor thats NEVER been in business trying to teach me how to build one? What?
    Then if he is in it for the money(Not all of them are)..... How if he makes $50,000 a year is he to teach me how to make $60,000.

Think back and look at ALL your friends and family that was SOLD this BOGUS bill of goods that a college degree was required for success. Put them all down on paper. All of them.
    Then ask 3 questions:
    #1- How many of them actually have one(A degree)
    #2- How many of them actually USE IT?
    #3- How many of them don't use it but are more than $10,000+ in college loan debt because of it.
    There's your CULT.

Again by all means PLEASE do your own research and QUIT listening to BROKE people. Look around at all the inventor's and successor's of our time. Most of them NEVER finished High School.
    Thank God they were smart enough to get OUT before they got more years of USELESS indoctrination on how to be a SLAVE or a SOLDIER....
    (I have a TON of respect for anyone that has served our country. A personal thank you from me to you).

Your friend:
    Have a great time and simply let him know that you would love to keep the friendship and are requested to be taken off the email list. Some email server's even have a way of optioning out.

MLM is here to stay and is only getting bigger.
    Look for 2 video's if you like Education. Don't take them as TRUTH... Take them as educational and an opinion. That is all.
    #1- College Conspiracy.
    #2- Money making Options by SG
    Thinks that make you go HUMMMMmmmmmmm....
    Last edited by CommonSenseMan; 10-23-2011 at 05:32 AM.

Conventions and meetings are the life blood of MLM. So many people are going through the companies they have to stay in touch with the troops to keep them recruiting. The associates are the life blood of any MLM company. If people stop recruiting or keep bringing in new blood the company will die. When having a basically part-time sales force people can revert back to their 9-5 so a company has to keep the motivation stuff (hype) flowing..

Everything you do in life requires some kind of education or know how.
    If if you were to Purchase a McDonalds you still have to attend Burger University in Illinois.
    Yes it's real.

Hope everyone has a great week.

Quote Originally Posted by Former Poster View Post
    Conventions and meetings are the life blood of MLM. So many people are going through the companies they have to stay in touch with the troops to keep them recruiting. The associates are the life blood of any MLM company. If people stop recruiting or keep bringing in new blood the company will die. When having a basically part-time sales force people can revert back to their 9-5 so a company has to keep the motivation stuff (hype) flowing..
    rofl That's too funny...

It's like saying, if a Doctor quits seeing patients his practice will flounder...or if a Plumber quit work on all his plumbing 'problems' his business will go belly up, or if a Salesperson quits selling ?, he'll fail, or if a Lawyer quit taking on clients his office would close...

In MLM the field, the distributors, are the company.

Without them, and what they do, (sell recruit, & train others to do the same) the company is NOT in business, the MLM/DS company is kaput!

{And companies that forget that important 'little' dynamic, don't last very long either from my experience!}

just thought I'd add that...
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

I agree with commonsenseman, even for MLM you need a little bit of education. Often people don't know what to do or where to start and the quit early.

The conventions are all part of the scam. It's as much about being yet another thing to charge you for, and another way to charge you for things in the future, but it's also a way to perpetuate the scam and train/indoctrinate new victims.

I will say that the meetings are meant to pump you up and keep you excited, which is a good thing if you actually want to succeed. Gives you exposure to more people in your upline and you get more tips than you would otherwise.
    There is not one woman on this planet capable of finishing an entire can of soda.

Quote Originally Posted by needs2stop View Post
    The conventions are all part of the scam. It's as much about being yet another thing to charge you for, and another way to charge you for things in the future, but it's also a way to perpetuate the scam and train/indoctrinate new victims.

I will say that the meetings are meant to pump you up and keep you excited, which is a good thing if you actually want to succeed. Gives you exposure to more people in your upline and you get more tips than you would otherwise.

How to contradict yourself in two easy paragraphs, you couldn't make this stuff up :cwm2:
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisDoyle View Post
    How to contradict yourself in two easy paragraphs, you couldn't make this stuff up :cwm2:
    Your comment illustrates how they make the scam work.

What they do is convince you that the seminar is an "invaluable training resource". That way you can't just say "I don't wanna go." Because who would say that they don't want to be trained on how to successfully operate their business.

Doesn't matter if you learn anything or not, because at the end of the meeting that sheet is coming around and people will try to take your credit card information and bill you for something. That is the ultimate reason you are there. The training is just the bait.
    There is not one woman on this planet capable of finishing an entire can of soda.

Your comment illustrates how they make the scam work.

What they do is convince you that the seminar is an "invaluable training resource". That way you can't just say "I don't wanna go." Because who would say that they don't want to be trained on how to successfully operate their business.

Doesn't matter if you learn anything or not, because at the end of the meeting that sheet is coming around and people will try to take your credit card information and bill you for something. That is the ultimate reason you are there. The training is just the bait.

You admit they're good for people who want to succeed though? Well, yes, you posted that earlier.

Conversely, they must be bad for people who don't want to succeed... but why would people who don.t want to succeed go to a convention in the first place? :spin2:
    "People are not interested in your product or your business; they are interested in solving their own problems." -- James Dillehay, Entrepreneur and Author

You admit they're good for people who want to succeed though? Well, yes, you posted that earlier.

Conversely, they must be bad for people who don't want to succeed... but why would people who don.t want to succeed go to a convention in the first place? :spin2:
    They won't guarantee that you succeed if you do go, nor will they prevent you from succeeding if you don't go.

I've heard former MLMrs talk honestly about the seminars and they said that they went, met a bunch of cool people, learned a lot, spent a ton of money, came back home and hit their business hard, made some strides as a result....only to eventually fail in the MLM due to the nature of MLM itself.

That pretty much sums up seminars and MLMs as a whole. Spin your wheels, spend some money, then eventually quit.

They won't guarantee that you succeed if you do go, nor will they prevent you from succeeding if you don't go.

I've heard former MLMrs talk honestly about the seminars and they said that they went, met a bunch of cool people, learned a lot, spent a ton of money, came back home and hit their business hard, made some strides as a result....only to eventually fail in the MLM due to the nature of MLM itself.

That pretty much sums up seminars and MLMs as a whole. Spin your wheels, spend some money, then eventually quit.

No guarantees in anything in life I'm afraid (apart from death and taxes), but conventions are good for learning and usually a great social occasion too.

No guarantees in anything in life I'm afraid (apart from death and taxes), but conventions are good for learning and usually a great social occasion too.
    My mentor was trying to get me to go to a seminar. I told him I wasn't going to pay for a plane ticket. The poor guy, he tried to arrange for me to cram myself into some caravan for a cross country 2,000 mile drive, there and back. And I'd sleep in a hotel room with six other guys on the floor. Keep in mind he was having to contact these people to arrange all this. Then, fortunately, the seminar got booked and I couldn't go.

Him and his wife kept telling me how "HUGE" it was going to be. They flew out there and came back a few days later and were like "It was really good."

Hmmm. I guess I'll just take your word for it then. And clearly they didn't learn enough, because they quit a few months later themselves. So much for seminars, eh?

My mentor was trying to get me to go to a seminar. I told him I wasn't going to pay for a plane ticket. The poor guy, he tried to arrange for me to cram myself into some caravan for a cross country 2,000 mile drive, there and back. And I'd sleep in a hotel room with six other guys on the floor. Keep in mind he was having to contact these people to arrange all this. Then, fortunately, the seminar got booked and I couldn't go.

Him and his wife kept telling me how "HUGE" it was going to be. They flew out there and came back a few days later and were like "It was really good."

Hmmm. I guess I'll just take your word for it then. And clearly they didn't learn enough, because they quit a few months later themselves. So much for seminars, eh?

I wouldnt necessarily blame their lack of success on the seminars.

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    Yes, I've been going to them for ten years...love it. Great to reconnect with people in the group from around the country and to learn. Quite worthwhile.

Oh I can tell you, at the beginning. The expense of the flight, lodging, rental car, food, and such were absolutely daunting....staying at resorts I'd have never stayed at, paying hotel rates that were incomprehensible at the time. But the learning and enjoyment were worth it. And today, I don't think twice. And I find ways to help those that want to go, you know, run some kind of contest, provide some cash to help them. I know it is valuable, so I'm happy to help those that are serious.

But you are correct...those that aren't should just stay home.
    Thanks to those seminars, MLMrs can add many THOUSANDS of dollars to their eventual losses. Hotels, training, and meeting people are all great. But the bottom line is that these are things you never would've paid for had you not joined the MLM.