+ Reply to Thread

Thread: E-Cat

E-Cat

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markgibb...ave-new-world/
    If you’ve missed the recent brouhaha over the E-Cat (which stands for ****** Catalyzer), you’re missing out on a three ring circus over a technology that will either change everything or change nothing because what is promised is, in theory, power too cheap to be worth metering.

The E-Cat is a simple device albeit with functioning that defies all known explanations.

In summary, the E-Cat is a cold fusion (CF) device (the inventor, Andrea Rossi, prefers to term the technology “Low ****** Nuclear Reaction” (which appears to be the same thing as CF but a less contentious phrasing). I’ll refer you to my Network World column for a more long-winded explanation of the background and theories about the device.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_Catalyzer

sorry, because of the word ban, you will have to use google to find this yourself.
    Last edited by mumbles; 10-18-2011 at 07:33 AM.

Re: E-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by mumbles View Post

sorry, because of the word ban, you will have to use google to find this yourself.
    Or the OP could just take a second and use tinyurl.com to redirect the link. Then of course take another second or so to rewrite the link.

And voila, the link works fine;

Here's the rewritten code, first and last brackets reversed to make it visible;
    ]URL="http://tinyurl.com/42zskj7"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/******_Catalyzer[/URL[
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. -C. Darwin

If this turns out to be true then it would be a game changer. However, things like this come along once every few years (you'll find more than one that's been posted in this forum). So far, every single one of them has turned out to be either a deliberate scam, or an inventor that didn't understand why it doesn't work the way they think it works.

Historically, odds are this will turn out to be the same. I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

I'm skeptical, but we'll see - doesn't appear to be a scam, as the researchers say they're putting their own money into it rather than asking for donations.

The major questionable result, as posted in Wikipedia, is:

As Ny Teknik reports, Peter Ekström, lecturer at the Department of Nuclear Physics at Lund University in Sweden, concluded, "I am convinced that the whole story is one big scam, and that it will be revealed in less than one year."[33][24] He cites the unlikelihood of a chemical reaction being strong enough to overcome the Coulomb barrier, the lack of gamma rays, the lack of explanation for the origin of the extra ******, the lack of the expected radioactivity after fusing a proton with 58Ni, the unexplained occurrence of 11% iron in the spent fuel, the 10% copper in the spent fuel strangely having the same isotopic ratios as natural copper, and the lack of any unstable copper isotope in the spent fuel as if the reactor only produced stable isotopes.[33] He later added in New ****** Times that the steam velocity in a videotaped test appears to be way too low for the reported ****** production, and that some liquid water might be exiting the system via the drainage tube.[34]
    More cautious, Kjell Aleklett, physics professor at Uppsala University in Sweden, summarized in his blog: "What shall we do as scientists? Shall we say madness as many do today, or should we try to understand what is happening? I myself have nothing against to reveal a scam, or join in and verify something that no one could imagine. Both extremes belong to that which makes life as a researcher incredibly interesting." According to Aleklett, in a sample of spent fuel provided by the inventor, the percentage of copper was too high for any known reaction of nickel, and the copper had the same isotopic ratio as natural copper.[35][24]
    I suppose it's possible given that natural nickel isotope ratios are comparable to copper ratios, but there should still be a noticeable difference.

The other question is whether or not the materials of the container are somehow being substituted for ...

If it works, it sounds great ... and it would likely be a great time to invest in companies that deal in nickel.

Just putting in my 5 cents. :spin2:

Oh my, I thought this thread has something to do with my favorite pet, cats =) Will check on the link though, thanks for posting this

E-Cat stands for Energy Catalyzer. It is a cold fusion and Low Energy Nuclear Reaction heat source. It is invented by Andrea Rossi. It can be a solution to the global energy problems.

Whatever this "discovery" is worth and whether it will come true to be usable, I don't think the oil company magnates are going to just sit and let this new fuel take over. It's like the car that runs on water that suddenly disappeared because it was bought by the oil companies. And there's the issue with the global warming believers if this new fuel passes their tests as being "environment friendly."