+ Reply to Thread

South Park - Scientology (Tom Cruise) Episode Nominated For An Emmy

Airwaves Again Safe for "South Park" Scientology Spoof By Gina Serpe
    Wed Jul 12, 3:49 PM ET

Comedy Central is finally respecting Cartman's authoritay.

One week after South Park's controversial "Trapped in the Closet" episode garnered an Emmy nomination, and nearly four months after it was abruptly pulled from rotation on the cable net, Comedy Central has finally acquiesced and will allow the Scientology-skewering episode back on the air.

And clearly not a moment too soon.

"If they hadn't put this episode back on the air, we'd have had serious issues, and we wouldn't be doing anything else with them," cocreator Matt Stone tells Variety.

The episode reportedly ruffled some high-powered feathers upon its first airing. In addition to an accurate, if cartoon-depicted, primer on Scientology, the show featured a literally closeted Tom Cruise who refuses to come out, only to be joined in his hiding by fellow Scientologist John Travolta and R&B man R. Kelly, whose operatic ballad provided the show's title.

While Comedy Central failed to publicly disclose its reasons for yanking the program (which is also credited for leading Scientologist Isaac Hayes to jump ship as the longtime voice of Chef), creators Stone and Trey Parker didn't shy away from broadcasting what they claimed was the network-sanctioned reason.

As the conspiracy theory goes, the Cruise's camp had a hand in deep-sixing the episode, with the litigious actor reportedly threatening to pull out of promotional duties for Mission: Impossible III. (Viacom is the parent company for both Comedy Central and Paramount, the studio that was releasing Cruise's film.)

Cruise's reps vehemently denied such allegations, but the South Park brain trust stuck by its guns.

"I only know what we were told, that people involved with M:I:III wanted the episode off the air and that is why Comedy Central had to do it," Stone says in Variety. "I don't know why else it would have been pulled."

Now, Cruise's saturation-level publicity tour is over (and proved fairly ineffective, with the sequel grossing a disappointing $133 million domestically) and he is apparently in hiding with his new baby.

As it is, Comedy Central's decision to reintroduce the episode to its rerun schedule seems as arbitrary an action as yanking it in the first place. But the move is putting the network back into the good graces of Stone and Parker, who have said that their relationship with the network has been tenuous since the spring.

"It's true we are not as big as Tom Cruise, but we've done two movies for Viacom and 10 years of South Park episodes, and this has been our home," Stone tells Variety.

Stone explains that the episode's removal was nearly the final straw for the duo, who had been censored by the network on three separate occasions...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060712/en_tv_eo/19480

South Park's "Trapped in the Closet" returns to Comedy Central's airwaves July 19.

Re: South Park - Scientology (Tom Cruise) Episode Nominated For An Emmy

Quote Originally Posted by yossarian
    Airwaves Again Safe for "South Park" Scientology Spoof By Gina Serpe
    Wed Jul 12, 3:49 PM ET

Comedy Central is finally respecting Cartman's authoritay.

One week after South Park's controversial "Trapped in the Closet" episode garnered an Emmy nomination, and nearly four months after it was abruptly pulled from rotation on the cable net, Comedy Central has finally acquiesced and will allow the Scientology-skewering episode back on the air.

And clearly not a moment too soon.

"If they hadn't put this episode back on the air, we'd have had serious issues, and we wouldn't be doing anything else with them," cocreator Matt Stone tells Variety.

The episode reportedly ruffled some high-powered feathers upon its first airing. In addition to an accurate, if cartoon-depicted, primer on Scientology, the show featured a literally closeted Tom Cruise who refuses to come out, only to be joined in his hiding by fellow Scientologist John Travolta and R&B man R. Kelly, whose operatic ballad provided the show's title.

While Comedy Central failed to publicly disclose its reasons for yanking the program (which is also credited for leading Scientologist Isaac Hayes to jump ship as the longtime voice of Chef), creators Stone and Trey Parker didn't shy away from broadcasting what they claimed was the network-sanctioned reason.

As the conspiracy theory goes, the Cruise's camp had a hand in deep-sixing the episode, with the litigious actor reportedly threatening to pull out of promotional duties for Mission: Impossible III. (Viacom is the parent company for both Comedy Central and Paramount, the studio that was releasing Cruise's film.)

Cruise's reps vehemently denied such allegations, but the South Park brain trust stuck by its guns.

"I only know what we were told, that people involved with M:I:III wanted the episode off the air and that is why Comedy Central had to do it," Stone says in Variety. "I don't know why else it would have been pulled."

Now, Cruise's saturation-level publicity tour is over (and proved fairly ineffective, with the sequel grossing a disappointing $133 million domestically) and he is apparently in hiding with his new baby.

As it is, Comedy Central's decision to reintroduce the episode to its rerun schedule seems as arbitrary an action as yanking it in the first place. But the move is putting the network back into the good graces of Stone and Parker, who have said that their relationship with the network has been tenuous since the spring.

"It's true we are not as big as Tom Cruise, but we've done two movies for Viacom and 10 years of South Park episodes, and this has been our home," Stone tells Variety.

Stone explains that the episode's removal was nearly the final straw for the duo, who had been censored by the network on three separate occasions...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060712/en_tv_eo/19480

South Park's "Trapped in the Closet" returns to Comedy Central's airwaves July 19.
    Haha I read that too, it's about time! I guess Cruise loosened the old grip now that his tour's over.

spaeakin o' tours...how's yours goin ..lately!?....only the lonely......YOU! will know!?...in the end......but consider this..a kiss is just a kiss!?and in king kong when the heorin or heroin was decidin to get on the BOAT of fame or NOT!?for the fine CAN be made to be a LEAP over a canyon(evil kneival)who knew!like a theif IN THE NIGHT OF EVERYDAY ignorance!?i knew!!he knew!!but thank the god of whatever or whatever i had the SENSE to listen!?hehe!!just askin like the fool i am.....
    Last edited by lexx; 07-31-2006 at 12:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lexx
    spaeakin o' tours...how's yours goin ..lately!?....only the lonely......YOU! will know!?...in the end......but consider this..a kiss is just a kiss!?and in king kong when the heorin or heroin was decidin to get on the BOAT of fame or NOT!?for the fine CAN be made to be a LEAP over a canyon(evil kneival)who knew!like a theif IN THE NIGHT OF EVERYDAY ignorance!?i knew!!he knew!!but thank the god of whatever or whatever i had the SENSE to listen!?hehe!!just askin like the fool i am.....
    Man... I hope I meet you in real life some day... that'd be a blast. hehe!! ;) ;)

Quote Originally Posted by kazza
    Man... I hope I meet you in real life some day... that'd be a blast. hehe!! ;) ;)
    where ya located!?hehe!!just askin...

My fiance saw this episode and raved to me about it. I'm downloading it now.

This was episode that made me think that South Park is actually worth watching. Hillarious.

Actually, there was a great episode on the weekend that I saw. Southpark had to give up their mascot and pick a new mascot. All the kids ignored the options they were given and instead wrote down 1. A giant douche, and 2. A turd sandwich.

To decide which of those two mascots would be theirs, they had a vote for it. Stan decided that it was stupid to bother voting. Afterall, whats the difference between a turd sandwich and a giant douche? Who cares, they're both stupid.

And he got in a whole lot of trouble for mocking the importance of voting. Eventualyl someone pointed out to him that everytime you vote in life, its always picking the best between a giant douche and a turd sandwich, so just get used to it.

I enjoyed it :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douche_and_Turd
    Last edited by aegist; 09-01-2006 at 12:55 PM.

Lord_jag is offline I am God because I say I am. Prove me wrong. User Rank

Yeah southpark is sweet. You should see the Red hot catholic love boat episode. I think that one was censored for a while too.