+ Reply to Thread

Healthcare services Group, Inc

I apologize if someone has posted about them, but I cant search and see any threads about em so far. As anyone worked for them? i dont know what it is, its just a strange feeling I have about them. Companies and/or nurseing homes call them to come in, consult, and then bring someone in as a supervisor and take everything over? i've just never heard of that.

Re: Healthcare services Group, Inc

There is nothing "scam like" about what the company does and the way they are set up. They have been in business since 1977. They do not take over the whole facility. They take over the housekeeping, laundry, and floor care duties and in many cases dietary as well. They come in and generally keep the employees who are already doing those things. They just "rehire" them as Health Care Services Group employees.

I did work for this company for a brief period of time and while again they are not a scam by design I would advise caution to anyone who might be considering working for them. I can only relay my own personal situation and other things I've seen and heard but I am not happy with them.

My story goes like this. I was hired into the company as an account manager in training in early August. I was put in a building and told I would be there for 4 months training and learning. Two weeks later I was moved out of that building to be what was supposed to be a temporary fill in in a much larger building because that account manager had accepted a job offer across the country with another company.

So I go to this building with no real training whatsoever. I am basically handed the reins and left on my own. I did have a district manager who I could consult and who would make periodic drop ins to help me out or check out things. But for the most part I was on my own.

So, flying by the seat of my pants I did extremely well. Every time my DM stopped by to talk to the building's administrator the administrator told him I was doing great. The regional manager came by one day and toured the building and again said I was doing great. A little over a week ago the district manager came by to inspect the building and gave it the highest grade it had ever received since Health Care Services Group took it over. This happened on my watch. I was told by my DM that if I kept impressing the administrator and others in the building I might be there permanently.

Two days later I made a mistake. It was an embarrassing mistake and unfortunate but it would never happen again, I know that. While doing a linen inventory with one of my laundry people I accidentally walked in on a couple of residents who were using the bathroom in their rooms. The problem is I was going too fast but I was going too fast because both the laundry guy and myself were only sort of aware of how to even do a linen inventory. The previous manager had never showed this guy how to do one and no one had ever showed me how to do one. Plus, I had a pile of paperwork to do and get faxed in one day's time. So I rushed through it and it cost me. Even so, I knew I would never do anything like that again.

The company did an investigation of the incidents because it was state policy and procedure to do so. My DM told me not to worry. Three days later he said the allegations made against me not only by residents but housekeeping staff and nursing staff made the company uncomfortable and they were laying me off. I asked him if he could tell me what these allegations were and he said it was confidential.

The thing is I don't believe there is anything that bad. If there is I fully believe that it has been misconstrued or exaggerated or that someone has flat out lied. I understand walking in on residents isn't good but it was an unfortunate but honest accident. As far as allegations by nursing staff, I had a pretty good relationship (I thought anyway) with the nursing staff. I mean I'm a quiet guy, especially for a manager, but I was professional with all the nurses and aides and even had a loose fun joking relationship with a couple of them. I was always respectful toward the residents and cared deeply about them. As far as the housekeeping staff goes, you're never going to make everyone happy as a manager, but the thing is I know in my heart and know from their own words that most of the housekeeping staff supported me and had no real problems or complaints against me.

So an employee with no training given charge of a 140 plus bed facility exceeds all company expectations, pulls in the highest grade/score to date, gets nothing but high praise from everyone, makes one correctable mistake and all of a sudden everyone hates him and has these allegations that he doesn't even get to answer or give an account of because even though they are about him they are "confidential".

The only lesson I've learned from that company is even if you are still learning how to do the job, you'd better be dang close to perfect. If someone has something negative to say about you and it's "bad enough" whatever defines bad enough with them, your side of the story is irrelevant. As a matter of fact, it won't even be heard or considered.

Now I will say that was my own individual experience. I can't tell someone what to do or not do with their own life. Perhaps in different situations and with different people in upper management in other parts of the country, someone else may have better luck with them than I did. But it seems to me that they have no care or compassion toward their people. Anyone and everyone is disposable. Of course, that is most companies attitudes these days.

I do know I have heard about payroll problems from other people online and I certainly experienced those as well. Had it happen to my people and had it happen to me personally once as well.

HCSG is not a scam, just the worst employer I have ever worked for. They worked the salaried account managers to death and offer no benefits. (Health and dental insurance benefits are fully funded by the employee. HCSG pays nothing towards these benefits.) This is surprising knowing that most of their employees work in nursing homes where the buildings are full of infections. Management in northern Indiana has dictated that there will be no raises although the shareholders have been doing pretty well over the past 33 consecutive quarters. HCSG is just another sad example of corporate greed.

i worked for this company for almost a year. i was the only person from the company in the facility from 7pm to 3am. my boss left before his day shift left so he never saw what was left behind. it honestly looked like as soon as he left they quit working from the amount of laundry both clean and dirty that was waiting for me every day. he hired in all of his family. i was required every payday to be at the facility at 11am to get my check but because they were fed exed sometimes it was 2 or 3 in the afternoon before i got it and had to be back there to work by 7. because of this i actually blacked out from lack of sleep one night and hit my head on a counter. he wasn't going to do anything about it. the nursing supervisor on duty had to call him and explain that it was protocol that i go to the hospital to be checked out. he didn't even find a ride for me. i had to wake a friend up at 1am because i couldn't drive due to a possible concussion. he then tried to write me up for the work that i did not get done while i was blacked out and at the hospital. i had extremely good relations with all of the nursing and cna staff. they told my boss on a regular basis what a great job i did compared to his other employees, but he still treated me like a second class citizen. the final straw for me was st patrick's day 2011. i went in for payday meeting and proceeded to scream/yell/curse at me and let all of his day shift do the same. when i walked into work that evening and saw the place looking ten times worse than it had before, i made a decision. i clocked in and worked long enough to get the needed amount of linens for the nursing/cna staff because i never had a problem with them and it would have been unfair to leave them without the supplies they needed to do their job. after all they were he ones who came in and helped me when i got backed up from the day shift slackers. but as soon as there was enough for them to do their job i clocked out and quit. i was actually able to draw unemployment due to harassment even though it was not very much because although they had me doing linens, the personal laundry for the resident's and cleaning the dining rooms in the evening ( which by the way was done by 3+ people during the day) i still only made minimum wage. i would not recommend that anyone work for them. maybe they started out as a good company in the 1970's but as of 2011 their indiana branches, at least, are extremely disreputable.

Hey thank you for your informative blog re HCSG. I responded to a Monster ad for Outside Medical sales with whole state of TN, KY territory calling on nursing homes. That's all I have done for 5 years in that exact territory so I applied thinking I'd be perfect as I have had great success by God's grace. Heard nothing for 2 months but kept seeing the same ad posted...so I called HR and eventually got hooked up with a "Training" guy who had me drive to a nursing home 2 hours away. He interviewed my along with a DM and were nice guys however, what it came down to was so off base than what the position ad said...I still after the interview have no idea what they pay and though it sounds intriguing, it just seems a little on the goofy side if not even cultish! It reminded me of someone trying to recruit me into Amway or a multilevel marketing. I finally asked them if they required an investment. They responded a few hours later with a text of how excited they are to potentially have me aboard and they'd be in touch. Just weird! A 1 billion dollar company that is expected to go to 2 billion by '17? I am not a cynical person at all...am cautiously optimistic however. I don't like I was applying for an outside sales position and what they really want is a Housekeeping supervisor...if I understand it I can begin making cold calls to nursing homes and make some commissions but that is way down the line and I guess I must recruit other yucks like me to fill housekeeping spots under the guise of future growth? I am confused and uncomfortable....I am assuming even a guy that kills it (like you, 79JClark) could never have made a 6 figure income? Any further details or counsel would be appreciated!

(sorry JWH76 as I meant to reply directly to your post....) Hey thank you for your informative blog re HCSG. I responded to a Monster ad for Outside Medical sales with whole state of TN, KY territory calling on nursing homes. That's all I have done for 5 years in that exact territory so I applied thinking I'd be perfect as I have had great success by God's grace. Heard nothing for 2 months but kept seeing the same ad posted...so I called HR and eventually got hooked up with a "Training" guy who had me drive to a nursing home 2 hours away. He interviewed my along with a DM and were nice guys however, what it came down to was so off base than what the position ad said...I still after the interview have no idea what they pay and though it sounds intriguing, it just seems a little on the goofy side if not even cultish! It reminded me of someone trying to recruit me into Amway or a multilevel marketing. I finally asked them if they required an investment. They responded a few hours later with a text of how excited they are to potentially have me aboard and they'd be in touch. Just weird! A 1 billion dollar company that is expected to go to 2 billion by '17? I am not a cynical person at all...am cautiously optimistic however. I don't like I was applying for an outside sales position and what they really want is a Housekeeping supervisor...if I understand it I can begin making cold calls to nursing homes and make some commissions but that is way down the line and I guess I must recruit other yucks like me to fill housekeeping spots under the guise of future growth? I am confused and uncomfortable....I am assuming even a guy that kills it (like you, 79JClark) could never have made a 6 figure income? Any further details or counsel would be appreciated!

I insist, to me, it is just a home based business and don't get impressed by the Incorporated name, because it requires only 2 person to do that, like husband and wife or anybody else, no big deal
    We offer guaranteed success for lean six sigma exam with help of latest colostate.edu certification and practice questions and the exams of csld ccie security New England College

Here's my experience with HCSG. I was hired as a housekeeper and offered the account manager job. I was told if you want the manager job you need to sign this non compete contract. Right in the contract it says no one will be promoted unless signed. I reluctantly signed it because it was a good raise also. I was only trained for 1 week at most. I was the only employee besides my laundry lady. So needless to say I was working 60 plus hours a week for 2 months straight. Finally got employees. Golden living, name of nursing home, was sold. HCSG lost the contract with the new owners. We got a 24 hour notice that HCSG was pulling out of building. HCSG would not let any managers out of their contracts to go work for the new owners, this is in South Dakota. But when the same thing happened in Nebraska the managers were let out of contract, I called and talked to a Nebraska manager. When I asked my regional manager about Nebraska he asked me who I talked to and gave me the runaround. This company is a joke. If anyone reading this was let out of their contract let me know how it happened. Thanks