+ Reply to Thread

'Ebay' Work at Home Phone Call

I received a phone call from someone claiming that they had a “work from home” opportunity for me, working for Ebay from home. This person had a strong middle-eastern accent. I asked to speak with a supervisor and another middle-eastern man got on the phone and told me his name was Shawn McKenzie, employee number MH035447. When prompted, he also gave me this number to call back at: 424-245-2187. The point of the call was to get me to give a credit card number so they could charge my card $1 to receive this email from ebay. This email would send me a link to manage my own ebay website, where I would receive a commission off of the products that were sold on the site. I knew something was fishy. I ended up giving a credit card number that did not have funds available on it and, after calling the credit card company to cancel the card, I was told that $1 was attempted to be taken out by someone in Pakistan and this person/organization tried to enter the card number over 100 times. This is an absolute scam, probably ******* terrorist organizations in Pakistan. The number they called me from was: 321-419-5803. Please pass this on so these people cannot scam anyone else. (It would be nice if our American companies would stop outsourcing customer service to other countries so we could know if we hear the accent- that it is a scam. Unfortunately, we are forced to suffer through “customer service representatives” that cannot speak English very well.)

Doctobe is offline alpha, beta, gamma, delta, epsilon, zeta ......
    UC Berkeley, UC Davis, Silicon Valley, CA

Re: 'Ebay' Work at Home Phone Call

I've never heard of any company in the Silicon Valley area offering at home jobs unless the people chosen for those jobs are already internal employees of the company or they are external and interviewed formally on campus. Also, any reputable company regardless of location will never ask you for a credit card number for anything, let alone a job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcapell34 View Post
    I received a phone call from someone claiming that they had a “work from home” opportunity for me, working for Ebay from home. This person had a strong middle-eastern accent. I asked to speak with a supervisor and another middle-eastern man got on the phone and told me his name was Shawn McKenzie, employee number MH035447. When prompted, he also gave me this number to call back at: 424-245-2187. The point of the call was to get me to give a credit card number so they could charge my card $1 to receive this email from ebay. This email would send me a link to manage my own ebay website, where I would receive a commission off of the products that were sold on the site. I knew something was fishy. I ended up giving a credit card number that did not have funds available on it and, after calling the credit card company to cancel the card, I was told that $1 was attempted to be taken out by someone in Pakistan and this person/organization tried to enter the card number over 100 times. This is an absolute scam, probably ******* terrorist organizations in Pakistan. The number they called me from was: 321-419-5803. Please pass this on so these people cannot scam anyone else. (It would be nice if our American companies would stop outsourcing customer service to other countries so we could know if we hear the accent- that it is a scam. Unfortunately, we are forced to suffer through “customer service representatives” that cannot speak English very well.)
    --- i see your point, Mcapell34. most of these scam artists do have a thick accent. why, just yesterday, i got a call from a guy named Andrew Wilson but he had a thick accent and i could barely understand him. i knew it was a scam and when he started to ask for my CC, i hung up. i have had a busy day and i didn't feel like pulling up a prank on these unknown callers at the time. but if you've been reading the news lately, several scam artists were able to fool a lot of victims because they speak well. they talk just like everybody else, chose the right words and had the right accent. and what more, they usually know a lot about their victims and where they live. so it's really not just the thick accent that identifies a scammer.

and by the way, the callback number that scam artist has provided, looks like it's been reported already. found this link through google. http://www.callercenter.com/424-245-2187.html. this man might have called someone else after he called you...

That is not an employment opportunity. If you did not apply for the job there is no way they will just from nowhere decide to give you work.