+ Reply to Thread

Isn't it strange that...

an omniscient, omnipotent being such as God would choose to make his miracles known to men at a time where there is no way to document such instances other than word of mouth? sure it can also be written down but the fact that so much discussion around god's existence rev.olves around the arguments that these miracles have taken place makes me question the "divine plan".

If you don't believe in miracles or even the content in the bible, this isn't for you. If you do, how do you explain why god would not have chosen a time where knowledge and proof is more easily accessible to the entirety of the world in which to display miracles? Yes, that means a time where someone can record the parting of the red sea on their iphone. I would think this would instantly make believers out of people.

Is faith that much more commendable when you don't require such proof? Is it not attributing an unreasonable value to being humble and merely "feeling" that he exists and that these miracles did in fact take place? Not to get too far off topic but in the same way fossils of dinosaurs show up, are we to believe that god is testing our faith? what kind of a practical joker is this?
    'everyone needs a gimmick darling' -Freddie Mercury

Re: Isn't it strange that...

Quote Originally Posted by spovat View Post
    an omniscient, omnipotent being such as God would choose to make his miracles known to men at a time where there is no way to document such instances other than word of mouth? sure it can also be written down but the fact that so much discussion around god's existence rev.olves around the arguments that these miracles have taken place makes me question the "divine plan".

If you don't believe in miracles or even the content in the bible, this isn't for you. If you do, how do you explain why god would not have chosen a time where knowledge and proof is more easily accessible to the entirety of the world in which to display miracles? Yes, that means a time where someone can record the parting of the red sea on their iphone. I would think this would instantly make believers out of people.

Is faith that much more commendable when you don't require such proof? Is it not attributing an unreasonable value to being humble and merely "feeling" that he exists and that these miracles did in fact take place? Not to get too far off topic but in the same way fossils of dinosaurs show up, are we to believe that god is testing our faith? what kind of a practical joker is this?
    Interesting comments. I'm not sure about a divine plan, at least not the one Christians speak of. I believe God did intervene in human history (Bible), but since then He has assumed a policy of nonintervention. If you assume God created the universe as a prison for Satan, it makes sense.

For some unexplicable reason, God created creatures (dinosaurs) for paradise about 65 million years ago. We're collateral damage from that event. I know these are depressing thoughts, but it may answer some of your questions.

Contrary to Christian belief, I don't believe God has a passionate interest in our well being.
    Last edited by Cnance; 09-02-2011 at 02:08 PM.

Re: Isn't it strange that...

Quote Originally Posted by spovat View Post

Great questions. However your argument rest on a single assumption that I don't think you realize you are making.

You are assuming that god is a kniving bastard who has repeatedly created a world of falsehood.

and that humans are perfect beings that could have never gotten anything wrong.

The stories of miracles were created ** people.

History was distorted ** people (The red sea was actually the Red puddle/swamp at that point in history)

The bible was written ** and edited ** people as well. There are over 250 books/scrolls that are part of the bible.

All the distortions, and mess ups and contradictions were created ** people.

So the real question is who do you place your faith with. God...... Or people......

Don't get me wrong miracles do happen in this world all the time and every day. Many go ** without people noticing, many are falsely attributed.
    Last edited by Spector567; 09-03-2011 at 02:42 AM.