+ Reply to Thread

Job IQ test and credit report Scams

Been getting a lot of these email scams after applying for jobs on C-list lately. The below one has got to be the most sophisticated one yet. Not only is the grammar decent, but it even has a privacy disclaimer notice down at the bottom....tisk tisk. :bah:

"SUBJECT: Regarding Your Application

To: ME

DATE: Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hello
    Thanks for getting back to us to let us know your interest in the positions we had listed on monster.com.

The postions your submitted resume matched to were.

Office Administrator- $16.00 - $18.00 Per Hour
    Front Office Medical Receptionist - $12.00 - $16.00 Per Hour
    Office Receptionist/Clerk- $15.00 - $17.00 Per Hour

We are in the middle of processing applications and currently we have 7 other applications along with yours that we are considering, so you can consider yourself on the short list to be hired.

Please help us to express-process your application ** performing one of the two mandatory steps that our company must take for all new employees. Since we run both background and credit reports to verify work history on all applicants, you can help us ** obtaining your own current credit report, speeding up the process immensely. We have found it's best if you have it in advance to make sure there are no surprises on it and confirm that your work history is correctly listed.
    Both myself and the company would prefer that you use This Company to acquire your credit history because they're offering the check at zero cost to you (unlike other places) and their results contain the most precise details I've come across, but feel free to use any service that suits you.
    Once you submit all of the needed information, they are going to show your own personal report. Please print it out and save it for the meeting. Please do not e-mail me the report, since it will have personal content. We can go over it when we meet in person. Should you have a lower than expected credit ratings, it will never prevent you from gaining a position with us. We only look at the portion of the report that contains your work history, WE DO NOT NEED TO KNOW YOUR SCORE.
    When your finished please e-mail me back at (job-c42345@hotmail.com) with the subject "My Availability" to let us know you obtained a current copy of your credit history along with your availability and which job you are applying for and we will contact you the begining of next week to arrange an interview.
    I'm looking forward to your quick response.
    Warm regards,
    Kaitlin C | HR Dept.

***** PLEASE NOTE ***** This E-Mail/telefax message and any documents accompanying this transmission may contain privileged and/or confidential information and is intended solely for the addressee(s) named above. If you are not the intended addressee/recipient, you are here** notified that any use of, disclosure, copying, distribution, or reliance on the contents of this E-Mail/telefax information is strictly prohibited and may result in legal action against you. Please reply to the sender advising of the error in transmission and immediately delete/destroy the message and any accompanying documents. Thank you.*****"

Smells like a scam....

If this is another job scam, it's a new one (haven't seen this email posted any where else...yet).

1) they don't list the company name
    2) they want me to run my own credit report BEFORE interviewing ** going to some site they refer to in the body of the email
    3) no full names listed in the closing
    4) they do not address me ** my name

"SUBJECT: Job Information For #^%*

DATE: Thursday, August 18, 2011 3:59 PM

Hello

Your resume has been received.
    We look forward to reviewing your application and discussing the opportunities that we have available.

The position you inquired about is a full-time non-exempt opening.
    The pay range for job position is $18.30 hr to $21.28 hr.

The following potential job perks are available and will be discussed at our first formal interview.

Paid Time Off
    Health Benefits Package
    Higher than average salaries
    Tuition Reimbursement
    Extensive 401(k)program

Prior to being considered, we first need you to formally apply at our site so all your pertinent and up to date information will be in our staffing system.
    Please take the time to follow the directions and complete the entire application process.

Visit our Application Page Now to get started. - http://kpser.info

Your Job ID Code is = wz544w3
    Best Regards,
    Kelly and Phillips
    Recruiting Team"

Job IQ test scams

One of the worst scams I got recently (and how I leaned more about rampant job scams) had to do with taking some bogus online IQ test.

The following is the first of two emails I received of this nature:

"FROM: Monica T. [info@freescreeningportal.com]
    DATE: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 2:39 PM
    SUBJECT: Re: Office Manager Volunteer Position

Dear Applicant,

Thank you for taking an interest in this open position.

I am a human resources manager of the job application screening company. Our organization is hired ** small and large companies and businesses to find the qualified applicants in numerous areas.

Our client has forwarded us your recent email for this position. After reviewing your resume and backend information we have decided to move forward with qualification process. The client is looking for the right applicant for immediate hiring as the position is currently vacant. Please fill in our short application through the secure website as a next step before the live interview. This will take less than 5 minutes. Once you have submitted the form, our manager will contact you within 3-5 business days.

The secure online application is here:
    http://freescreeningportal.com/application

Personal Application #: 2979796

Please note that application number is valid for 24 hours.

Kind Regards,
    Monica T.
    Human Resources Manager"

At first thinking this was from some misguided recruitment company, I fired off the below response (later I realized it was nothing more than a scam):

"Dear Monica,

Thank you for considering me for the Office Manager position with your client. However, I'm going to have to withdraw my application.

As a psychology major (who's taken courses in industrial/organizational psychology), I understand and appreciate the value of certain litmus tests when it comes to employment - such as personality or skills tests - that are often utilized ** hiring bodies. I do not believe IQ tests are necessary. While I'm fully confident in my level of intelligence (which, according to previous tests, falls somewhere between 125-130), I find this requirement both insulting and a little bit disturbing. The fact that I can read and write, and previous work experience should be all the proof one needs of my intelligence level for an administrative job...especially if that job only pays $10 per hour.

Please excuse my bluntness, I am not trying to come across as hostile. I just think your company should re-think some of it's applicant screening methods."

Re: Job IQ test scams

A few days later, I got yet another email of this nature requesting I undergo an IQ test:

"FROM: David Anderson [rena.dienhartdksr@yahoo.com]
    DATE: Friday, July 22, 2011 5:32 PM
    SUBJECT: Re: Accounting Clerk Position

Thank you for e-mailing your resume to us.We already recruited some applicants in our company in different positions.But,we still need some qualifed candidate for different positions. The responsibilities of employment are as follows: you will be answering the phone and taking messages when needed, you will work on scheduling our company meetings, and running errands for us for things such as purchasing office Supplies and making bank deposits, and we will provide the company car. While you are running errands, you will always be given one of our company credit card(s) for all business purchases.

You seem extremely qualified for this job position, and more so than the other 26 applicants we have received emails from last month. I would like to take the next step with you, however, before I can set up an interview, We will require that you take a Psychological/IQ Test.We need to assess your suitability ** this Psychological/IQ Test for this role. As, we got many responses, we also need to filter some applicants ** this process that will help us to find out right candidate for next interview as well as alleviate interview pressure.

To complete the Psychological Test simplyClick Here.

In the chance that you don't wish to send us IQ test score, unfortunately we will need to interview other applicants.

Personally, I am excited and looking forward to your quick response after checking your resume.

Good luck,
    David Anderson
    HR Director
    Alion Corporation And Technologies.
    Telephone number:+1 866 701 1063
    Fax:1 866 946 2997"

Needless to say, I was a little less cordial in my response the second time around:

"Mr. Anderson,

This is the second email response I've received in the past 48 hours requesting applicants to take an IQ test for a clerical position. As I kindly informed the previous hiring body, intelligence tests are in no way indicative of an employee's ability to perform a job. My education level, list of skills, and previous work experience (not to mention the fact that I'm clearly literate) should be all the proof you need to qualify an interview. Being a psychology degree holder, I can honestly state with confidence that using IQ scores as a litmus test is a major waste of an applicant's time and your own. So do yourself a favor, and stop using Intelligence Quotient tests to narrow down your applicant pool.

Needless to say, I am no longer interested in any position you have to offer."

....it wasn't until later that I FINALLY realized that these kinds of responses were nothing more than job scams. In fact, all they're after is your cell phone number so they can text you the "results of your IQ test"....several times, thus racking up your cell phone bill. It's not about job aptitude (or any job for that matter), it's just a way to scam you out of your money.

Bottom line, any email you get from a "perspective employer" requiring you to take an online IQ test is full of $h!t. Besides, any recruiting firm worth their salt know that IQ tests are NOT indicative of job ability or performance...at least not for some clerical position (maybe for rocket scientists, but that's debatable, lol).

Re: Job IQ test and credit report Scams

Have another bogus IQ test job scam from a "John Smith." I've actually seen two more exactly like this, another one being from a "Sarah Millican" (marcia.lovering00887@yahoo.com).

"SUBJECT: Re: PT Veterinary Receptionist / Assistant / Tech. position

DATE: Thursday, August 25, 2011 5:09 AM

Thank you for e-mailing your resume to us.We already recruited some applicants in our company in different positions.But,we still need some qualifed candidate for different positions. The responsibilities of employment are as follows: you will be answering the phone and taking messages when needed, you will work on scheduling our company meetings, and running errands for us for things such as purchasing office Supplies and making bank deposits, and we will provide the company car. While you are running errands, you will always be given one of our company credit card(s) for all business purchases.

You seem extremely qualified for this job position, and more so than the other 21 applicants we have received emails from last month. I would like to take the next step with you, however, before I can set up an interview, We will require that you take a Psychological/IQ Test.We need to assess your suitability ** this Psychological/IQ Test for this role. As, we got many responses, we also need to filter some applicants ** this process that will help us to find out right candidate for next interview as well as alleviate interview pressure.

To complete the Psychological Test simply Click Here.

In the chance that you don't wish to send us IQ test score, unfortunately we will need to interview other applicants.

Personally, I am excited and looking forward to your quick response after checking your resume.

Good luck,
    John Smith
    HR Director"