+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MLM: Why are there no tests?

When I applied at Outback Steakhouse a ways back (actually a year and a half ago) for a job, I needed to take a personality test. The position was for a host. I needed to take a test to see if I was "what they were looking for in a host." Why did they do that?

I have a close friend who managed, and managed well, a Spa and Mobile Office building company, and he was interested in seeing if I would like to be a salesman. We discussed it, and he presented to me some papers, which had all sorts of questions, and situations, word matching, definitions, analogies, ect. He needed to see if I had what it takes to be a salesman for the company he ran. Again, why did he do that?

The same latter scenario is presented to my friend who sales cars and was applying to a new company. They tested him...why?

MLM, in three companies that I havehave experience with (Amway, World Ventures, Rodan and Fields), have never offered a single test to anyone. From what I have heard on this forum from those who represent (very poorly) their "respected MLM companies," I have heard of no test either. Why is that?

The above three situations must test people. There is no judgement involved. I had just re-located to a new city and was looking for any type of job to make some cash while I settled in and looked for a professional job in my field. But they needed to test me! Why is this?

Simply, because some people fail at the job being applied for, and the companies do not want to waste money on lousy workers.

So why doesn't MLM do this? Wouldn't they want to weed out those who are not sales people (all 70-90% of those whom sell the products, as stated ** all those IDS we rely on), and only employ or " contract" the best representatives? I am going to take a wild, wild, incredibly strange guess and say.....maybe that's what they want? Is it because as long as Representative "John" is making 0.00 sales annually, the company he "works for" AHEM "contracted for", is making anywhere from $100.00 to maybe $1,000.00 or more off him annually. And if he makes himself a measly check of $200.00 a month, the company still profits well over that?

If so many people aren't cut out for this business (which makes me wonder why MLM "trainers" go "TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND SIGN EM UP," why waste their time and money? Why not just give them a test to find out if they can do this or not. Obviously, restaurants and businesses have been doing this for a long time.

This is actually a discussion so no name calling or childish rants for Chris-sake.

Re: MLM: Why are there no tests?

there is no test because the company doesn't care if you fail. if you sell one thing a month, you won't make any money but the company still makes the same profit on that one thing.

if you sell a million items or a million people sell one item, all the same to the company. if you are failing, losing money, doesn't hurt the company at all. all the risk of loss is yours and all the profit is theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by kegger430 View Post
    This is actually a discussion so no name calling or childish rants for Chris-sake.
    Nearly all MLM threads become "bash Chris" threads, even if he doesn't post in them.
    Ironic that you ask for no name calling b.y bringing his name up.

"Wag more, bark less."

Just curious. What kind of testing would you recommend?

I wonder how Bill Porter would have done on your little test?
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

Quote Originally Posted by walksthedogs View Post
    Nearly all MLM threads become "bash Chris" threads, even if he doesn't post in them.
    Ironic that you ask for no name calling b.y bringing his name up.

Shheeesh ain't that the truth!?
    As long as it is acceptable for a person to beLIEve that he knows how god wants everyone on Earth to live, we will continue to murder one another on account of our myths. ~ Sam Harris, 'The End Of Faith'
    ~~~~~
    Christianity demands the crucifixion of the intellect.
    ~ Susan Kierkegaard

char is offline Darkness Shines on Pyramids User Rank

I'm in complete agreement with the first post.

No matter what you call them, a "business owner" is in fact a customer for the MLM founders.

No only that, they are advertising for the founders for free when they spread the word and working for free.

This is proven ** them accepting anyone they sign up. They are ALL merely customers to the company.

MLMs inflate the retail price, allow leeway for a discount, the so called "cost", and kick back a few cents to the "business owners".

I find it absolutely ridiculous when people call it a business. My explanation sounds simple, but think about it.

Pizza guy comes home to mom and says I'm starting my own business. I'm a business owner now! I'm gonna start using the flux capacitor engine saver they sell in my car too as it's going to make my Chevy Nova get more gas mileage. This way I can drive to our business conventions in my red tie to learn how to attract me more clients. He asks his mom to be his first customer and for 150 dollars for a ticket to the convention. He explains this is an investment in his future instead of going to college. Cuz, he owns his own business. :crazy1:
    If MLM is such a wonderful business model, why aren't you still doing Amway?

James R is offline I'm no crook...my upline told me to do it! User Rank

So why doesn't MLM do this? Wouldn't they want to weed out those who are not sales people (all 70-90% of those whom sell the products, as stated ** all those IDS we rely on), and only employ or " contract" the best representatives? I am going to take a wild, wild, incredibly strange guess and say.....maybe that's what they want? Is it because as long as Representative "John" is making 0.00 sales annually, the company he "works for" AHEM "contracted for", is making anywhere from $100.00 to maybe $1,000.00 or more off him annually. And if he makes himself a measly check of $200.00 a month, the company still profits well over that?
    Salespeople aren't required in mlm. Autoshippers are required. That is a well known fact.

Have you ever seen a statistic from ANY mlmer that showed the amount of sales made to non-scheme members?

Don't hold your breath because you never will. Thats a fact!

Of course if you need to know any other insignificant statistic that means absolutely nothing, we have a couple on this board that can dig those up with no problem.
    Excited about Nopalea Cactus Juice? Learn how to make your own for FREE!
    Don't be another "$50 a bottle" sucker....best of all you know exaclty what's in it. Click HERE.

Here's a good one....
    "That's why I changed my 'story'".
    Where else can you find this nonsense besides here?

They have no test for the simple reason that the test would be designed in such a way that everyone would pass. As stated they have no real interest in any member making it, the most money is in the signing up process. $100 for nothing (or a few samples) is much more then they will make the first year of membership. It is as simple as that. Even though the products are crap, they still have a cost.

Another problem is that anyone passing a real screening will likely go get a job or start up their own business. These type of people will not pay for an opportunity when they could get payed for one. Why spend $100 to sell some strange product when you can get payed to do the same?

Imagine you had the choice of paying some random $100 to be able to sell a product at commission and a job that would pay you $100 a day to do the same. Naturally you would choose the later since there is more money in it for you. While some say you need to spend x years to build your network (or business as some say) you could instead get payed for doing the same. Working a few years in sales will amount to much experience and a huge network of customers.
    "This thread is as much of a failure as you are at MLM."

MLM explained

Simple,, MLMs supposed to be a business, not a job. The OP was comparing this to J O B's which are not the same thing, not even the same mentality. Like apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by yodaattone View Post
    Simple,, MLMs supposed to be a business, not a job. The OP was comparing this to J O B's which are not the same thing, not even the same mentality. Like apples to oranges.
    Yes, Yoda is wize. If you want to start a business, who is to tell you that you can not?

And besides that, if you are not that good a sales person, what if you know someone who is? Like if I wanted to sign up Joe, and a test says Joe would not be very good at MLM, how do we know who Joe knows and how good they would be? What if Joe knew Randy Gage or Orin Woodward or Mark Yarnell before any of these guys first joined an MLM? A test not allowing me to sign up Joe would have prevented me from getting rich. And from Joe getting rich!

We can argue for/against the "MLM is a true business," all day. To me, it is not. Maybe it is in the grammar. You may be in the business of MLM, but you do not own an MLM business. You are apart of a business, but you have to stock or say in the business itself. You pay for the ability to sell products, recruit more sales persons, and earn a commission. But own a business? Hardly.

Wether it falls under the category of employee or self employed, job or business, the mission is to sell products. You are a salesperson. What is the difference between the sales person of the employed versus the sales person of mlm? The former is paid hourly, or a monthly base + real commission (10-15% of $100,000 in car sales) while the latter must PAY to have no hourly wage or base monthly pay with very little commission.

12. 08-07-2011, 11:27 AM

We can argue for/against the "MLM is a true business," all day. To me, it is not. Maybe it is in the grammar. You may be in the business of MLM, but you do not own an MLM business. You are apart of a business, but you have to stock or say in the business itself. You pay for the ability to sell products, recruit more sales persons, and earn a commission. But own a business? Hardly.

Wether it falls under the category of employee or self employed, job or business, the mission is to sell products. You are a salesperson. What is the difference between the sales person of the employed versus the sales person of mlm? The former is paid hourly, or a monthly base + real commission (10-15% of $100,000 in car sales) while the latter must PAY to have no hourly wage or base monthly pay with very little commission.
    I have had an MLM business for almost 8 years and I have always had a separate checking account for my MLM business. My MLM business operates as an S-corp and files a separate BUSINESS tax return. I can also sell my MLM distributorship as many people do in this business. Just because most people in MLM don't TREAT it like a business doesn't mean it is not.

We dont have to argue for/against the "MLM is a true business" question. The government and IRS have already answered it.

MLM is only a "business" when expenses related to the operations are concerned - that all expenses are the distributor's responsibility.

MLM distributors are "independent" business owners when advertising responsibilities are concerned - when distributors lie or make false claims, the company wants to have nothing to do with said distributors thus avoiding getting into legal trouble - even though most of the crap comes from the company itself.

MLM "recruitment" processes do have tests - that each prospect must have the $$$ to pay the signup fee, and the ability to fog a mirror.
    Odds of success in MLM is as slim as winning the lottery, but except in lottery, every player has an equal and random chance, whereas in MLM the winners have all been pre-determined.

Quote Originally Posted by iamwil View Post
    Wow amazingly insightful statement.

You mean parent companies normally back people that lie??

Since when?

Every company I know of has policies and procedures stating what one can and can't do when representin the company and the products and vilolations of those rules have negative consequences.

And this is somehow a surprise?
    Wil, the point of the post you are missing is noted ** the word "responsible."

Having negative recourse vs. responsibility are very different. If you claim your product cures cancer and sell $10 million in product, and your customers come back irate after nothing is cured and sue you... your parent MLM would terminate you and say "we aren't responsible for what he says." If you were an employee of the company, they couldn't say that.
    I'm not selling anything, so I don't need links in my signature to for-profit ventures. You really should question the intentions of those here that have them, as they are generally advertising, not informing.

No?

What about the class action suit against wallmart on discrimination against women....despite the fact that managers all over were apparently discriminating agains women....Walmart wasn't 'responsible'
    Read up on the case. Or at least have someone else read up on it for you. The supreme courts ruling was about class action law, not discrimination law. The supreme court made no ruling whatsoever regarding the merits of the discrimination claims or Wal-Mart's responsibility in any given instance, merely that the case did not meet the class action rules to qualify the class.
    Happens all the time....
    Do tell.
    as long as their policies and procedures say so, and they can prove some plausible deniablity....what is said ** an employee is not the fault of the corporation.
    Not nearly as straightforward as that. One would think, but, sadly, no.
    Last edited by calvinandhobbes; 08-08-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    I'm not selling anything, so I don't need links in my signature to for-profit ventures. You really should question the intentions of those here that have them, as they are generally advertising, not informing.

Wow amazingly insightful statement.
    You mean parent companies normally back people that lie??
    Since when?
    Every company I know of has policies and procedures stating what one can and can't do when representin the company and the products and vilolations of those rules have negative consequences.
    And this is somehow a surprise?
    Apparently they do back people that lie. Or at least ones you might represent do. If anyone here thought that you would get kicked out of a company if your lies were pointed out to the company management, it would happen in a heartbeat.