+ Reply to Thread

Okay, Im not so sure about this one

Alright. I had a job interview at a place called J & M Distributing. THey said they wanted to hire as many people as they can.

I said I wanted full time (he asked)
    and he wrote down what my salary would be $602 a WEEK!

I said "but, is this FOR SURE what I will get EVERY week, its not "if I dont sell anything, I wont get paid" and he assured me that is not it.

What they are is a distrubution center for air and water purifiers.

Local companies and people (hotels, apartments, resteraunts, etc.) call and want to set up an appointment to check it out. So, what we do is go talk to them

NO TRAVELING and they will give me gas money (well, they said in another term, cant remember)

so, its pretty much just local places that we will go to. Its a pretty busy city and there is 2 other busy cities NEXT to this one, so maybe it is real

But, it "supposedly" is $602 a week NO MATTER WHAT and if we do sell more in comissions than salary, we get the comission instead.

I dont know about this. The office building was quite small.

Ive never heard of it and it is not in the BBB.
    They may be new though, since they need so many people to work for them.

But, there is a sign that says "J & M Distributing LLC" and there are 5 others across Michigan too, so I wouldnt THINK it would be a scam.

But, if so, I guess I will find out next week. But if not, I will BE SO HAPPY! :p

Re: Okay, Im not so sure about this one

Quote Originally Posted by ladyemily
    Alright. I had a job interview at a place called J & M Distributing. THey said they wanted to hire as many people as they can.

I said "but, is this FOR SURE what I will get EVERY week, its not "if I dont sell anything, I wont get paid" and he assured me that is not it.

Local companies and people (hotels, apartments, resteraunts, etc.) call and want to set up an appointment to check it out. So, what we do is go talk to them

NO TRAVELING and they will give me gas money (well, they said in another term, cant remember)

so, its pretty much just local places that we will go to. Its a pretty busy city and there is 2 other busy cities NEXT to this one, so maybe it is real

But, it "supposedly" is $602 a week NO MATTER WHAT and if we do sell more in comissions than salary, we get the comission instead.

But, there is a sign that says "J & M Distributing LLC" and there are 5 others across Michigan too, so I wouldnt THINK it would be a scam.

But, if so, I guess I will find out next week. But if not, I will BE SO HAPPY! :p

Are you a trained sailes person????? $600/week = $15/hr plus commission seems pretty high for a starting base salary...

What types of questions did they ask you in the interview? Did they try to ask what you dream about, how hard your willing to go to reach that dream?

Or did they ask you about your sales exp, what industries, connections you have, etc.

Did they tell you want your selling? Did they explain the comission structure? Is it simple to understand? Did they explain how many calls a week you will go on?

I would almost bet it was a scam or shady company if they didn't explain all this to you.... $15/hr for a start up sales person is pretty good for selling water purifiers out of your house... Just ask for a contract and make sure to get stuff is writing and don't agree to pay for any training/sales material.

http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp/sr_corp.asp

http://www.grandrapids.bbb.org/commo...l?bid=12000162

They usedto sell something called the "Rainbow" vacuum cleaner.
    What brand(s) of air/water filters are they selling?

A few caveats;
    No salesman worth his slack has ever made quota without cold-calling.
    No traveling, but they'll reimburse you for mileage? No salesman has ever made quota without burning shoe leather.
    "supposedly"; I agree, that's a wee bit on the high side for a door-to-door vacuum cleaner salesman; even one with years of experience, and an exclusive territory.

Last question. Have they "offered an investment opportunity" in their Limited Liability Corp?

sojustask is offline The Late, Great Lady Mod - Retired User Rank

Quote Originally Posted by dr poormouth
    http://www.dleg.state.mi.us/bcs_corp/sr_corp.asp

http://www.grandrapids.bbb.org/commo...l?bid=12000162

They usedto sell something called the "Rainbow" vacuum cleaner.
    What brand(s) of air/water filters are they selling?
    I had one of those and loved it. Unfortunately, that alkalie in the water here does not love any kind of metal that you run water through.

Ladyemily, whatever they tell you, get it in writing. A contract goes a LONG way in court should they be lieing.

And you always have the option to quit.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by ladyemily

Ladyemily. This brings back alot of memories. Water purifiers, $602 a week salary, gas allowance. It was real exciting and looked sooo promising! I asked alot of questions such as: this is not a straight commision job hopefully? Oh no, I don't belive in straight commision! We get hot leads? Absolutely.

The game was, The interview was held at a hotel. (Red Flag) They said call us back at 5:30 pm to see if you've been selected. I called and was selected.

Come to find out that everything they promised us in the hotel, was a bold faced lie! There are NO HOT LEADS!! NO GAS ALLOWANCE!! And $602 a week salary they promised turned out to be, oh we forgot to mention if you don't sell anything! You must get 40 referrals for credit! I WAS HOT AS LAVA!!! How in the hell can these bastards get away with false advertising! The gall of these people. :mad:

Hell they didn't mention that it was rainbow vacuum cleaners. I sold Kirby before and sold quite a few but didn't get paid like we were supposed to due to our fraudulent distributor who now has skipped town.

I wouldn't do it Ladyemily, you will be upset when you find out you've been lied to. I sure the hell was.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I am skeptical but i am STILL going to go to see what the scam is and how they work it at least, so I can warn others!

Thanks again!
    =)
    Heather Hynes

People from J&M Distributing come around my office all the time!!! They swing around weekly sometimes more with their huge bag of "goodies" that you can usually find in an oriental trading magazine or dollar store. They're cheap products that they hard sell you for and won't take no for an answer. They go door to door at businesses and disregard the "no soliciting" signs! They're usually not rude, but it gets annoying when they come at least weekly!

I actually knew someone who worked for them and it was VERY hard to make a decent amount of money with them becuase their products are so cheaply made, no one really wants them to come into their businesses (so they have to barge in) and then they only get a small percentage of the sales as commission!

So my advice to you is DON'T DO IT!!!!!

Well, I tried this, and I honestly LOVE the rainbow system, and I have made moneyh already, but it is just taking up too much of my time. I can make pretty good money with this and I already have made $400 this week, but like I said, I leave for work at 11 am and get home around 12:30am. TOO much for me!

If I could do it part time I would..... I just want to earn my own free rainbow! LOL =)

But, heavensent, I think you must have a different J & M or something b/c the one I work for just sells rainbow air purifier/cleaners, not products like SMC and stuff. Ive seen other J & Ms too, but this one I work for doesnt have anything to do with what you said. =)

But, I think I will just ask about part time, or I will find another job. I do like it and I berlieve in the product and I know I could make more money, but, I just cant stay awake this late anymore, and I never get to see anybody! My MOM called at 7 in the morning the other day and asked if I was okay. I havent had time to call her in a week and I talk to her almost everyday! Plus, I went fishing yesterday and I was SOOOO happy to do something with my boyfriend!

=)
    Heather

Oh, but if you did 12 demos a week, you DO get $602.50 a week, and I DID get it in writing. 1 out of 3 people will buy.

You get $250 per sale, so if I were to sell 3, I would make $700 in comission, so I would get $700 INSTEAD of the $602.50, whichever is higher.

I really like the people there and the product and the opportunity to make money, but like I said a million times, its not worth taking up EVERY second of my day!

I used to work for a LLC that sold Kirby's as well and this sounds exactly the same as what I went through.

The issue is that the product itself is not a scam, in fact Kirby and Rainbow vacuum cleaners are great products and well worth the price tag, and most of the time the customer is happy to pay it. But when all's said and done it's usually the salesman getting scammed by not getting paid what was agreed, or working the slave hours as indicated.

In the end though I got the distributor I worked for back, as right before a big trip out to the boonies to sell Kirby's, we had one of the many pep rallies before hand to juice the salespeople up, and we were all given the chance to spin the 'money wheel' which had amounts anywhere from $1-$50 on it and whatever it landed on, you got to keep. Also, anyone who was signed up for the especially long trips (i was, since i was going to Oregon and i lived in San Jose, ca :rolleyes: ) got x2 the amount they landed on. I landed on $50, was handed a $100 bill, then proceeded to quit on the spot and walk out.

Sounds like an interview I had in Grand Rapids, MI for a company called Maximum Marketing. I went for an interview and they called me at about 8pm that same night asking me to come in the next day for a second interview and to spend some time with a manager. Well, I risked my life in an ice storm to be in GR at 8am to get into a car with a stanger who clearly does not know how to drive in the winter. We went to Battle Creek and went door to door selling crap that nobody wanted. I spent the whole day walking in the snow, ice and rain. We did not get back to the office until 9pm that night and I had nothing to show for it. :mad:

In Minnesota they call this company "rain tree llc". It was a sales position to sell the rainbow system. I sat in training for an hour and a half today and I'm glad I left at the first break and didn't waste my time with this company!

I'm doing this exact thing. The world headquarters is in Troy, MI, and the manufacturer is in Cadillac, MI. Rexair is the developer of Rainbow Vacuum Cleaners, and that is what we sell.

I want to assure everyone that THIS IS NOT A SCAM. To give you an overview, I make $500 a week regardless of whether or not I sell anything, but I must get 10 contacts in a 7-day period. I can do 10 in 2 days. Like Emily mentioned before, if my commission exceeds $500 I get that instead. I got $300 per sale for my first 5 sales, $400 per sale for my next 5 sales, and have received $500 for each sale thereafter.

There are also many different ways you can earn bonuses. Say you refer a friend to become a dealer. When he/she makes their first presentation you would automatically start making $500 per sale. Whenever one of you referrals makes a sale you receive a letter. The letters spell "New Rainbow." 10 Letters. So, once your referrals make 10 sales you get your own free rainbow. Pretty Awesome.

Also, there's the 10-30 bonus and the 10-60 bonus. That's 10 sales in 30 days and in 60 days. If you get 10 sales in 60 days you get $1000 in commission on your very next sale. If you make 10 sales in 30 days you get 100% commission on your next sale. I've done this twice.

I should probably mention the rapid opportunity for advancement. You can become a trainer, a general manager, an inside distributor, etc. This company has been around for 75 years for a reason, and they are BBB accredited.

Yes, the money is great, but the reason I got to this point is because I'm a hard worker and I believe in the product. I hate vacuum cleaners. In my eyes that industry is nearly as bad as the tobacco industry. Everyone should own a rainbow. Aside from Hospital air purfying systems, which no household could afford, this is the only product of its kind. I don't feel bad selling these to people because I truly am providing a service for them and a much better quality of life. Pure air is as important as pure food and pure liquids. Buy a rainbow :)