Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Plame sues Cheney, Libby and Rove

Alright Valerie!

Plame sues White House figures over CIA leak
    Former CIA officer and husband file lawsuit against Cheney, Libby, Rove
    BREAKING NEWS
    The Associated Press

Updated: 5:18 p.m. ET July 13, 2006

WASHINGTON - The CIA officer whose identity was leaked to reporters sued Vice President Dick Cheney, his former top aide and presidential adviser Karl Rove on Thursday, accusing them and other White House officials of conspiring to destroy her career.

In a lawsuit filed in U.S. District Court, Valerie Plame and her husband, Joseph Wilson, a former U.S. ambassador, accused Cheney, Rove and I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby of revealing Plame’s CIA identity in seeking revenge against Wilson for criticizing the Bush administration’s motives in Iraq.

Several news organizations wrote about Plame after syndicated columnist Robert Novak named her in a column on July 14, 2003. Novak’s column appeared eight days after Wilson alleged in an opinion piece in The New York Times that the administration had twisted prewar intelligence on Iraq to justify going to war.

The CIA had sent Wilson to Niger in early 2002 to determine whether there was any truth to reports that Saddam Hussein’s government had tried to buy yellowcake uranium from Niger to make a nuclear weapon. Wilson discounted the reports, but the allegation nevertheless wound up in President Bush’s 2003 State of the Union address.
    © 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13845613/

Re: Plame sues Cheney, Libby and Rove

This is going to be very tough for her to win, considering what Robert Novak has just revealed. Novak just revealed that Fitz knew the identity of all three of his informants for almost the entire 2 1/2 years of this investigation, but did not indict any of them. That says that none of his sources had broken any laws. Which in turn means that Valerie Plame was likely not a covert agent for the CIA, so exactly what grounds is she suing on?

It has been proved through the Senate investigation that Joe Wilson lied about virtually everything he said concerning his mission for the CIA, and that was the reason Novak wrote his original story. To prove that Wilson lied about his wife's involvement in getting him that mission. Novak himself has admitted that he got her actual name from the 1998 "Who's who" entry that Joe Wilson himself had made, so I'm not sure how she is going to prove that she is somehow entitled to compensation or reparation from members of the administration.

Sounds like another angle for Joe Wilson to falsely say the "Administration lied" so he can sell a few more books.

Quote Originally Posted by Grim17
    This is going to be very tough for her to win, considering what Robert Novak has just revealed. Novak just revealed that Fitz knew the identity of all three of his informants for almost the entire 2 1/2 years of this investigation, but did not indict any of them. That says that none of his sources had broken any laws. Which in turn means that Valerie Plame was likely not a covert agent for the CIA, so exactly what grounds is she suing on?

It has been proved through the Senate investigation that Joe Wilson lied about virtually everything he said concerning his mission for the CIA, and that was the reason Novak wrote his original story. To prove that Wilson lied about his wife's involvement in getting him that mission. Novak himself has admitted that he got her actual name from the 1998 "Who's who" entry that Joe Wilson himself had made, so I'm not sure how she is going to prove that she is somehow entitled to compensation or reparation from members of the administration.

Sounds like another angle for Joe Wilson to falsely say the "Administration lied" so he can sell a few more books.
    Sounds like you haven't the slightest freakin clue as to what you are talking about........again.

Quote Originally Posted by bairdi
    Sounds like you haven't the slightest freakin clue as to what you are talking about........again.
    It's like I've said before. If he ever starts to make sense, call 911 and get yourself committed pronto.

This is going to be very tough for her to win, considering what Robert Novak has just revealed.
    bairdi is right, you don't have a clue what you are talking about. She has to have something pretty solid or no lawyer would have taken the case. Not one that's gonna be this big. A suit like this will make or break an attorney and/or the firm he works for. Most of them won't usually take these on unless it's solid, for any kind of money.

Lady Mod

Oh please. Any lawyer will take the case as long as he is getting paid. This is a joke just like she and her husband are. I hope they all counter sue her and they both get their just due. This is long past their 15 minutes of plame.

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne
    Oh please. Any lawyer will take the case as long as he is getting paid. This is a joke just like she and her husband are. I hope they all counter sue her and they both get their just due. This is long past their 15 minutes of plame.
    Countersue her for what?

“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.”

Not that some of us needed you to speak out and remove all doubt like you did Eagle one but thanks for letting the rest of the forum know. You can go back to your corner now oh foolish one.

A law firm or lawyer loses a case like this, his career is gone forever. No one wants to hire a lawfirm that loses a high profile case.

Lady Mod

Since you like to quote, here's one for you: One should never argue with a lunatic, because to an outsider they might not know the difference.

Please get real. These are Lawyers we are talking about. They just want their 15 minutes of fame. First, she was not an undercover agent, proved by Fitzgerald as no charges were made she was and had been outed. Second, Joe Wilson outed her, not Karl Rove, Scooter Libby, or Dick Cheney. Actually they were trying to keep Novak from reporting the story. Do you really think that after 3 years if there had been a violation of the law Fitzgerald would not have indicted? Get real.

I want this dizzy woman to be counter sued into oblivion where she and her stupid husband belong. They have been lying for over 3 years now, and it is time they were shut up. Joe Wilson could not have found yellow cake if his life depended on it. He went there to specifically deny Iraq was trying to get yellow cake. This was his whole mission. If you go to wickipedia, you will learn just who all has given Iraq nuclear material, and Niger was one who had given them yellow cake much earlier. Why wouldn't Iraq go back to Niger since they had already helped them before? Doesn't hold water. The entire Senate Intelligence Committee totally refuted his stupd report. I know this will come as a shock to you, but even the Democrats on the committee said he lied at the time. No doubt they have no tried to change their statements by now, but it is on the record.

This law suit will quietly fade away once the sensationalism is over for her and Joe. She just can't stand not to be in the limelight. Only you and the kooks on this forum really believe this twit and her lying husband.

Look, she is going to have to prove what this 2 1/2 year investigation couldn't, which is that the outing of her name was a crime and it was done as some sort of retaliation by members of the administration. Fitz couldn't gather enough evidence to indict on either, so what makes anyone here believe that her lawyers are going to somehow do any better?

I have to believe as EagleOne does, that this is just another stunt. A politically motivated and/or financial stunt, that has a very good chance of getting tossed out by a judge, before anyone gets a summons to appear.

This whole thing started because Joe Wilson decided to lie to the NY Times and the main stream media to sell a few books. If he hadn't lied in the first place about his wife helping him get this assignment, there wouldn't have been any Novak story, and his wife's name wouldn't have been discovered by him.

How about the liberal take on this... Check this out:

http://media.nationalreview.com/post...dhNWFiNmYzNzQ=

UPDATE!!!!

I was right about the financial aspect... At least according to the associated press:

Plame's New Book Deal

Last edited by Grim17; 07-14-2006 at 12:21 PM.

http://www.anklebitingpundits.com/co...ndex.php?p=352
    Originally posted by Americanadian
    Palin: Omit the "i" and you're left with "Pain".

Fitzgerald's investigation is ongoing and has not been concluded. Because indictments have not come down yet, does not mean that there will be no indictments. Fitzgerald has stated that Valerie Plame's job at the CIA was classified information.

Any moron would know that when Novak says that he got her name from a "who's who" entry it would say that Valerie Plame was the wife of Joe Wilson. The entry would not have stated that she was employed by the CIA and that her employment was classifed.

Whether a crime was committed or not is irrelevant. This is a civil suit. What is important is if the release of classified information resulted in damages to the plaintiff, which it obviously did, and if the plaintiff is entitled to relief. If you remember correctly, OJ was found innocent but he lost the civil case.

Here is a link to the complaint.

Since you like to quote, here's one for you: One should never argue with a lunatic, because to an outsider they might not know the difference.
    Which is why I choose not to argue with you. I woudn't want folks getting the wrong impression of me.

Please get real. These are Lawyers we are talking about. They just want their 15 minutes of fame. First, she was not an undercover agent, proved by Fitzgerald as no charges were made she was and had been outed. Second, Joe Wilson outed her, not Karl Rove, Scooter Libby, or Dick Cheney. Actually they were trying to keep Novak from reporting the story. Do you really think that after 3 years if there had been a violation of the law Fitzgerald would not have indicted? Get real.

I want this dizzy woman to be counter sued into oblivion where she and her stupid husband belong. They have been lying for over 3 years now, and it is time they were shut up. Joe Wilson could not have found yellow cake if his life depended on it. He went there to specifically deny Iraq was trying to get yellow cake. This was his whole mission. If you go to wickipedia, you will learn just who all has given Iraq nuclear material, and Niger was one who had given them yellow cake much earlier. Why wouldn't Iraq go back to Niger since they had already helped them before? Doesn't hold water. The entire Senate Intelligence Committee totally refuted his stupd report. I know this will come as a shock to you, but even the Democrats on the committee said he lied at the time. No doubt they have no tried to change their statements by now, but it is on the record.

This law suit will quietly fade away once the sensationalism is over for her and Joe. She just can't stand not to be in the limelight. Only you and the kooks on this forum really believe this twit and her lying husband.
    What does that have to do with a law firm taking the case? I have no idea what they are going to decide to bring up in court EO, but I do know, from working with lawyers, that they don't just take on a case for the money. They like to win. The bigger the case, the more their reputation is at stake. And they don't like a "loser" reputation, neither for 15 minutes or 15 years.

So, does anyone know yet who this lawfirm is that is representing Plame?

Lady Mod

Look, she is going to have to prove what this 2 1/2 year investigation couldn't, which is that the outing of her name was a crime and it was done as some sort of retaliation by members of the administration. Fitz couldn't gather enough evidence to indict on either, so what makes anyone here believe that her lawyers are going to somehow do any better?

I have to believe as EagleOne does, that this is just another stunt. A politically motivated and/or financial stunt, that has a very good chance of getting tossed out by a judge, before anyone gets a summons to appear.

This whole thing started because Joe Wilson decided to lie to the NY Times and the main stream media to sell a few books. If he hadn't lied in the first place about his wife helping him get this assignment, there wouldn't have been any Novak story, and his wife's name wouldn't have been discovered by him.

Grim, it depends on the kind of lawsuit it is. She could just be suing for defamation of character and lost wages. That the leaks cause her to be unhirable or something.

A lot of people are jumping to conclusions already and we don't even know for sure what the case is about.

Lady Mod

Quote Originally Posted by sojustask
    Grim, it depends on the kind of lawsuit it is. She could just be suing for defamation of character and lost wages. That the leaks cause her to be unhirable or something.

A lot of people are jumping to conclusions already and we don't even know for sure what the case is about.

Lady Mod
    Well, the court filing is available if you want to examine it. I believe someone has linked to the pdf on this thread.

I browsed it briefly and it appears to be full of holes and full of hype. In other words, a publicity stunt to promote her upcoming book that coincidently she agreed to terms with a publisher the same day she filed the suit against members of the administration.

You should follow my link to what Laurence O'Donnell said about this case. He is a liberal democrat and he said "winning better not be the point" because in his opinion it will probably get tossed out by a judge rather quickly. In his opinion, It is quote, "a political piece of litigation, and you know that by reading the first paragraph of the complaint"

As stated in the link I provided, "O'Donnell is not a newcomer to Plame-watching — for instance, he predicted that Rove was a source for Matt Cooper before Newsweek broke that story. His analysis of this lawsuit is well-informed and probably correct."

I can't see how this is anything other than a political or financial stunt by them, because a 2 1/2 year investigation couldn't produce an indictment, so exactly why would they believe they could discover a crime or conspiracy when Fitz couldn't?